Australia Designing new Router called Maximus - Page 5

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Designing new Router called Maximus

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Designing new Router called Maximus

Hi All- Been mucking around trying to improve the gantry. I haven't been able to do it in RHS or SHS because the laser cutters tube laser can only go to 150mm square. Seems the gantry will be about 250x250mm or rectangular but at least 230mm high. So I've added an internal diagonal brace to the gantry that stops it lozenging. I didn't like the shear webs because the gantry response will be different in between them. The brace provides consistent stiffness along the gantry. The brace has dropped the deflection from 0.13mm to 0.10mm which is a start.

In regard to machine width I can get 1525mm wide x 3050mm long plywood. This will make a board that has 100mm margin for clamping etc around a std sheet. Makes the machine 1600mm wide which is a bit too big for the space its in. So working backwards if I make it 100mm wider than current then the working envelope will be 1000mm by 2500mm. and the machine footprint will be 1400mmx2600mm maybe longer. cheers Peter S

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing new Router called Maximus-brace-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-ss-brace-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-gantry-brace-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - I've added a triangulated brace inside the gantry and the deflection ha been reduced to 0.06mm from 0.13mm. This is half the prior deflection so I'm happy to proceed. I've started working on the bench.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing new Router called Maximus-max-bench-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-push-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All- I've started building the Round 2 model. It will include all the bolts and nuts. Here's a test run on the tool tube. The bolts down its side are torqued to the proof load of class 12 M6 screws (11kN) and the surfaces are speced at friction co-efficient of 0.1. The software prints out the load in the bolts and shows how the connection will slid, gap or not. The tool tube model also has the compliant bearings in it so I'll look back and compare to the prior steel versions.

I've change the shape of the tool tube as I don't think the bender can bend the close bends to create the gutter. I have sent model's to the bender for comment. It is bendable but it maybe wider than I like so I'm looking at this square version which can be narrow. This also brings me back to using maybe 20mm bearings! I converted another video to wmf. Cheers Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing new Router called Maximus-tool-tube-2-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-tool-tube-bolts-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by peteeng; 04-22-2019 at 11:47 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi All- Been mucking around trying to improve the gantry. I haven't been able to do it in RHS or SHS because the laser cutters tube laser can only go to 150mm square. Seems the gantry will be about 250x250mm or rectangular but at least 230mm high. So I've added an internal diagonal brace to the gantry that stops it lozenging. I didn't like the shear webs because the gantry response will be different in between them. The brace provides consistent stiffness along the gantry. The brace has dropped the deflection from 0.13mm to 0.10mm which is a start.

In regard to machine width I can get 1525mm wide x 3050mm long plywood. This will make a board that has 100mm margin for clamping etc around a std sheet. Makes the machine 1600mm wide which is a bit too big for the space its in. So working backwards if I make it 100mm wider than current then the working envelope will be 1000mm by 2500mm. and the machine footprint will be 1400mmx2600mm maybe longer. cheers Peter S
    How is 1000mm going to be ideal if a standard sheet is 1200mm and up to1220mm in the usa

You also appear to be missing something with your Zaxes, a way for it to move up and down, normally a Ball screw is used for moving it up and down this puts you back to the start as this will need more room for the ballscrew and that means more leverage at the tool

You said you are testing from the collet, you need to test with a tool 50mm out from the bottom of the collet this is what a normal router would be doing and where the loading is taking place

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mactec - I'm in two minds with the design at present in regard to width.

1) Where it will go in my shed does not have enough room for a very wide machine that would suit a 1220mm sheet. So for me it will need to be narrow. But I'm also designing this machine to sell, so it will need to be 1220mm capable. So at this point in the design its width is a variable. I need a long thin machine to cut hydrofoils but others will need a std sheet size machine, agreed. What will happen I think is that I shall design a full width machine but make a narrow one for myself. I'm planning and building a large shed for myself at present so I can build very big machines.

2) There are no motion elements at present. The design is in Round 1 which is determining the form of all the structural components. Yes there maybe redesign needed but that occurs in Round 2 once I'm happy that the parts are the right shape. By this I mean they are economic, makeable, scalablable, efficient in form and do what they are supposed to do. I'm told I'm a bit Bauhaus in philosophy. This is a production machine not a one off. If you are making a machine for yourself you tend to make a decision and move on. But for something that is in production (and made to a cost) every part has to be sorted as best as possible before a commitment is made to a production run.

The actual load and position at present is not sensitive in the work. The parts will evolve to the correct shape whether the load is at the tool point or the clamp. If I had a metal printer they would be entirely different shapes!! and I would use an evolutionary FEA approach to the structural design. But I'm using laser cut and bent parts as this has proven to be the economical way to do this sort of kit

3) The load is applied at the bottom clamp as the spindle or router is not fully defined yet. The design rigidity target is 10N/0.001mm at the clamp (with 200mm Z and this will grow a little) this maybe adjusted once the entire machine is close to resolution. The nominal design load is 1000N (101kgf) but structurally it will take over 1000kgf at present (see prior posts) I'm expecting to make a heavy and light version of this design which needs to be accommodated in the part design by changing some parts thicknesses.

So as I'm working through this machine I have several objectives in my head to integrate into the design that do not appear in the stuff at present but will appear as it develops.

The aim is to make a lightweight kit machine that is very very stiff. The work is also an exploration of a couple of things. I'd like to 3D metal print a part and make a fibre composite part for it, just have to figure which parts are best for this to happen. Currently I'm struggling with the integration of the gantry to the long axis bearings but the answer will appear soon. This maybe the opportunity for the composite part.

Thanks for watching, all comments appreciated - Peter

Last edited by peteeng; 04-22-2019 at 08:18 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All- At last I have a reasonably complete machine. I have widened the gantry to 1500mm so it will take a full 1220mm sheet with clamping room. The aim is to use a 1525mm wide plywood for the base. Even though its been made wider we have achieved the <0.1mm at 1000N (not quite see later). It weighs 81kg including the spindle so it's probably in the "light" category. As I add bolts instead of bonded connections the stiffness will drop and I'll deal with that as we go. Its traditional to give a prototype a pet name but nothing has come up so far except Max. So I shall call it P1 as in prototype 1 for now. We are past the fuzzy front end and I like the direction the design is going.

I had noticed that the model was doing quite well with the bottom of the column not connected, then I realised the bearings were bonded to the rails so I allowed one to slid on the rail and the deflection increased from 0.8 to 0.12mm so I'll connect them together next model. This maybe why the bearing plate is doing so well so I'll look at that as well...Peter

EDIT - I allowed the bearing plate bearings to slide and even though I can see them sliding in the results the deflection is still 0.12mm so that's good. The last debate is whether to have the spindle inboard of the fwd bearing so it is not overhung. Overhung bearings can be a problem...Now P1 is understood I can make a few variations to decide these things.

Through Round 1 I have been thinking about bolt holes and nut access and finger access and assembly logic. That's why some ideas have fallen out. Its a mission to put all the bolts in a model!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing new Router called Maximus-max-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-max-deflection-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-max-iso-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-max-side-jpg  

Designing new Router called Maximus-slippage-jpg  
    Last edited by peteeng; 04-23-2019 at 12:10 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I remain impressed by the very thorough engineering process for this machine.I do have a question that you might already have determined an answer to;how will you ensure that the transverse rails are fixed at the correct height above the longitudinal rails?I know a small amount of discrepancy can be dealt with by skimming the spoilboard and I understand that a small amount of shimming might be needed to guarantee that the Z-axis is perpendicular to the table.The challenge as I see it will be to enable somebody receiving one of these machines in kit form to assemble a machine that performs as well as it has been designed to do.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Routalot - The laser cut parts are made to +/-0.2mm. My manufacturing dwgs have lots of notes about which parts MUST be 90degs or whatever. The two sheet metal companies I use are very good at following my notes so I'm happy about that... It's not a precision machine, its as good as possible with the technology I use. Most holes are small clearance spec. Strategic holes are std clearance (or slots) and I find that this is enough to allow some wiggling to get things level and square. Start at the base make it as level as possible then work your way up thru the structure with a bubble or electronic level, height gauges and whatever else the Maker has to get it "right" at this level of machine you can build it quite good if you are careful. There are no machining lands or reference surfaces so its up to the Maker to get things right. The hardest thing is getting the gantry square to the rails and this is one reason to go the way I have with this area. Scoot was a right pain as it liked springing back to a certain position... This currently is the the only way to deliver such a machine at the lowest cost but I'm always looking for better. If I take it to any CNC shop to have things machined the price doubles... May as well then buy a chinese machine and tune it up. Do not have a cost target at present until I get it quoted out. Then it needs tuning to a target cost. Quite a way to go yet. My smaller machine is a mechanical kit with a shopping list for all the bits you can buy online or at an engineering company, that's the way this will go. Makers can then choose the quality of their bearings or the colour of their motors etc.

Re:- level of engineering - this design detail has only been possible very recently due to the staggering performance of simsolid. If I did this via traditional fea it would take months. That's how I usually do it and I take lots of short cuts as well. I can only afford simsolid due to the analysis work I do in the mining industry. So I'm fortunate to be able to use this level of software for this sort of project.

Update - I have completed the column area and have achieved the 10N/0.001mm even with soft bearings which I'm chuffed about. So now a little rest time, a review and into Round 2 which is mainly adding the motion parts. I'm waiting for feedback about the gutter in the Z axis plate then R2 can begin. There is a spot under the carriage beams that deflects a bit. I can fix this by adding a bearing or making the beam stiffer. When I investigate the sensitivity of the overhang I may just bring the fwd bearing back a bit if the overhang is not an issue or I can get long bearings?? Things to ponder.

I also did some modal analysis. the first mode is at 243htz. This is the Z axis acting like a pendulum (fwd and backward) but it is coupled to the bench so this may rise when I get the bench included. Mode 2 & 3 is the column webs waggling at 295 htz so I'll add a little flange to eliminate this. Mode 4 is a gantry hogging and sagging movement, tried to make a video that I could get on here but too big...Are we having fun yet??

Thanks for watching.... Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing new Router called Maximus-max-10000n-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-car-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-car-2-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-max-3-jpg  

Designing new Router called Maximus-mode-1-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-mode-2-jpg  
    Last edited by peteeng; 04-23-2019 at 08:07 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - I have shortened the bearing beam and it stiffened up by 0.01mm deflection at 10,000N load. I'm now using the 10,000N design load so I can check differences of 1/100th of a mm so I think we are at the end of the development. Only outstanding issue is if the gutter can be built in the Z plate. So start again and work the motion elements. I also did some modal work and removed some of the little vibs. Until the bench is in can't take that much further....I'll upload some videos to my facebook page for the modals they are a bit of fun. Peter

The front plate of the gantry is the main loadpath so I decided to weld the bearing beam and the column to produce a very stiff loadpath. This has issues with straightness but I'll get the welder to deal with that.

https://www.facebook.com/ScootCNC/vi...8099121090771/ link to 319htz wobble

Edit - I have decided that welding the column bracket is too risky if the welder does not do it square. So I shall go back to a bracket. But I will investigate this as a 3D printed part. Anyone know of a good contractor for 3D Printing?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing new Router called Maximus-p1-4-cad-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-p1-4-deflection-jpg  
    Last edited by peteeng; 04-23-2019 at 05:09 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All- The sheet metal guy has got back to me and the gutter shape is doable. So I have to decide if a simple rectangular section or the gutter is the go. So I modelled the two and gave them the std 1000N load. The gutter design weighs 5.7kg and the rectangle of the same overall size weighs 6.4kg, both are 6mm thick. Which one deflects less? The rectangular one has more inertia if you manually calculate it so should be stiffer. The RHS also has more material so should be stiffer.... and the winner is the gutter design! It deflects 0.04mm and the RHS deflects 0.06mm. So the gutter it is. I also think that the cost delta of the 15mm vs the 20mm bearings is small so go big. The 15mm has a static capacity of 16kN and the max reaction at 1000N is 1.4kN so way under stressed. The 20mm has a C=24kN so is huge but will give me more geometry to work with and bigger bolts which I like. Bigger bolts are stiffer.

I think the difference lies in the local stiffness of the bearing mount is greater due to the corrugation. The RHS version probably is deflecting more at the bearing mounts. Hard to tell immediately whats happening will have a better dig into the model.

An interesting thing happens with square linear bearings. The applied load creates a torque and this would usually be distributed between twin bearings evenly. If the gantry bearings were round shaft this would be the case as they cannot support a moment in the transverse direction. But because the linear rails can support moments in any direction there is a differential load share depending on local stiffness. The closer bearing will see more load or the bearing in the softest loadpath will see more load. In this case the lower bearing sees 1.4kN and the top bearing sees only 0.8kN due to the bottom bearing supporting more of the moment. There is an argument for a round shaft in this application as then the bearing reaction is always in a known direction, plus its a pure reaction with no local moment. But a round bush has far less load capacity than a linear rail bearing and the cost is similar, so the rail wins. Seems we are clear to start Round 2. Peter

Edit - I noticed that the RHS version was bending on one side more than the other so had a closer look. Found that one of the rails was not connected right and the assm was a little off centre. So I corrected these and reran. This reduced the difference to 0.01mm not the 0.02mm diff imaged here. So the question is will the extra cost be worth the 0,01mm? I'll look at putting in a simpler bend to stiffen the rear surface. Just a kink vs the gutter. Since I'm going to use the 20mm bearings not worth developing this model any further. So P1 has come to its end and we shall get into P2 and motion very soon. Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing new Router called Maximus-top-bearing-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-tool-tube-1-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-tool-tube-2-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-bottom-bearing-jpg  

Last edited by peteeng; 04-24-2019 at 06:13 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Routalot - A bit more info on selling this sort of machine. I've talked to a lot of people and looked through a lot of forums over the last 1.5 years on kit routers. Seems everyone wants something different. So my biz model is not to sell kits as such but to sell all the parts separately. There will be a BOM for say the Brevis and the Maximus and Rollo (including a shopping list to complete the machine with costing) . But all the parts are seperate. In this way a person can buy a gantry, a column or motor mounts etc. Every Maker seems to be at a different stage with different needs. I hope this approach will suit the market. I only intend to sell bits that are not commercially available or are difficult to get commercially. Mainly the mechanical/structural parts as this is my forte. There are quite a few sources for motors, controllers, software, wires, bearings, extrusions etc etc. I'm also happy to quote for supply of bespoke parts like gantries etc...

Maximus - I'm currently designing the column mounts to suit a 3D metal print. Will get quotes on these. I'm sure they will be more costly than a sheet metal version but they will look good and should perform better. If anyone has contacts in 3D metal printing I'd appreciate it. My starting point is:

https://www.3dsystems.com/on-demand-...ed-prototyping

Cheers Peter S

Downloads
    Uploads

You mi
    ght consider using cast aluminium ends for the gantry, as on the venerable Multicam 1000 ( and others ).

Last edited by Zorbit; 04-24-2019 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Add picture

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Zorbit - Casting requires many parts to be made. Currently I try to select processes that can make 1, 2 or 3 parts as I don't know how many will be sold. 3D printing allows this. If I knew I was selling 50 units then casting may come into play. But if I had 50 units sold I'd probably billet CNC them. But printing costs are coming down so I'll investigate that process. I've had many things cast in the past but we've always had 100 or 200 units so it made sense.

Here's a very large 5 axis being installed in USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=LsS34MovIWM also found a good article on machine analysis. Looks like I'm going down the right path. It discusses that vibration modes need to be above 200htz and Max has done that so far.

Peter

Last edited by peteeng; 04-24-2019 at 06:20 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Here's a very large 5 axis being installed in USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=LsS34MovIWM
    I've got room for that, sadly just a million dollars short of the money.

Did you mention here, or perhaps on your blog, that a good gantry could be made by building a square / rectangular box around a round tube ? Intuitively, it would seem like quite an efficient construction, although I don't have the FEA to prove it. I'm thinking about lines of spot welds to hold the box / tube together.

Or am I barking up the wrong tree ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Zorbit - Don't remember that sort of thing. The circle is best for torsion and good for bending. If you had the resources to weld or attach lots of brackets to the circle then machine the surfaces to the required spec that maybe the go. Would have to do an FE comparison to figure it out. Comes down to what is needed to be achieved. If its ultimate lightweight and stiffness then a spiderweb filigree voronoi type 3D printed structure would be the go. Have to look in nature to find something similar.

Since you have a mill you could make aluminium C brackets (like on motorcycle forks) that grip the round tube and protrude out correct distance for the rail. (like the clamp for a spindle) The tube/clamps can be placed on a reference surface then tightened up. C clamps on tubes or solids are remarkably stiff and efficient. I made a patient lift which used hydraulic steel tubes as columns and the machine was clamped to it via this sort of thing and it was amazingly stiff. People ride their motorbikes at 300kph on them ... but then the rail bridges perhaps not the go.

Some FE systems have optimisation routines that go like this:

You make a very large random block of material (in CAD) with all the mounting points and hard points needed. You apply the design loads. You set a max stress of say 100MPa. The stress run is done and any element under 100Mpa is removed and the run done again. Again elements under 100mpa are removed and it keeps going until only elements of over 100mpa are in there. Lets say its Ti6-4. So it yeilds at 900Mpa so you set an allowable stress of 450Mpa. It churns away until only 450Mpa plus elements are left. Who knows what the object may look like but it will do the job. These things can only be made using 3D printing. They are remarkably light... Or you look at it and simplify it and make something similiar in cnc or cast. cheers Peter

You mention a gantry a couple of times so I think your struggling with a gantry design. I use struggling in a good way. The issue with using std size sections is it comes in rather large jumps in inertia. Plus there is no opportunity for optimisation. My two part sheet metal design is an answer for this. The need for two flat surfaces for the rails is a hiccup as well. Once you decide on your required stiffness the answer lies in building a section big enough or using a std section? What size gantry are you thinking about? Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - Have started thinking about the 3D printed column or bracket. I've sent a step file off to a couple of companies for quote. We'll see how it goes. The Easter and Anzac hols are now over so I'll have less time to progress this. Need to do some commercial stuff. But stay tuned getting closer to the motion studies. Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing new Router called Maximus-max-1-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-max-2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - I'm "rounding up" Round 1 so to speak. So here we are:

1) Maximus' structure is designed to provide a target machine stiffness of 10N/0.001mm at the lower spindle clamp
    2) The bench and stand can be metal or timber, up to the Maker. I have imaged it here on a modified BOXI bench and stands I had modelled prior. The base is 1525x2800mm and uses a large sheet of plywood. It can easily accept a full sheet of plywood with good clamping space all round. The bed could be 3050mm long from one sheet or obviously longer as needed. Rail comes in 4m lengths I think. 15mm or 18mm thick is a good pick. I'd use lightweight ply or formply for the rest.
    3) A metal bench or stand can be made, up to the Maker. I'm thinking about an aluminium stand.
    4) The Z travel will be 250mm (maybe 300mm when I get to it)
    5) All linear bearings will be 20mm series
    6) The gantry bearing mounts (I call them columns ) will be available in 3D printed steel or aluminium or pressed metal versions. I'd also like to do a composite part and this may show up in the motion elements
    7) Each part will be available for the Maker to buy. They are easy to modify to the Makers purpose depending on the stage the Maker is at with their machine
    8 )The electronics live in the sides and a fold out table is available for a laptop and notebooks in the current bench
    9) Maximus will have the DNA to provide excellent stiffness for routing and some light milling
    10) A light and heavy version is envisaged by having a thin set of parts and a thick set of parts or they can be mixed and matched as decided by the Maker. The light version can be used for lasers, food extruders, plastic extruders, knife cutters and other things imagined by the Maker

To Do
    1) Start rebuilding parts based on 20mm bearings vs 15mm bearings. Bearings to be modelled with 600N/um compliance
    2) Optimise parts by reducing weight and checking modes of vibration are above 200htz prefer 300htz
    2a) Add all bolts and fasteners to model
    3) Develop a velocity and acceleration spec and start calculating motor requirements once gantry weighs are known
    4) Start adding motion elements to the design. Have belt, R&P and screw options?
    4a) Once I settle the gantry height I may model some gantry risers to see what they have to look like to meet the 10N/um. Will make access to the work easier...
    5) That will have it nearly done

6) Cost and build one to replace Scoot...

Cheers Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing new Router called Maximus-max-front-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-max-front-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-max-iso-2-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-max-iso-jpg  

Designing new Router called Maximus-wisa-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-max-rear-jpg  
    Last edited by peteeng; 04-25-2019 at 04:05 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All- I have the bench modelled and stressed. I've modelled the bench using F17 plywood. A bit flexi as expected at 1000N! So now can look at this and decide if the timber can get to the spec. May have to use an aluminium top or aluminium laminate to improve the situation. Cheers Peter S

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing new Router called Maximus-transverse-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-bench-push-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - I boxed the sides in with ply and reran and it now is acceptable with trans and long deflections being <0.1mm at 1000N. So I now have a workable machine it can be fine tuned. The max deflections are at the tool so this is good. Better get back to some commercial work!! Peter

I sent out a bracket to get a quote for 3D printing it vs the sheet metal version. I estimate the S304 sheet metal version will be <$50AUD. The S316 printed one... drum roll.... $2000AUD so that's off the list!!

27-04-19 edit - In a weeks time I'm away for 2 weeks so progress will be zero as I have many things to do before I leave. But stay tuned for Round 2... Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing new Router called Maximus-bench-trans-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-bench-push-jpg  
    Last edited by peteeng; 04-26-2019 at 07:12 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - I watched a video on machine loads from Makino machines. They discussed cutting Titanium quite a bit. Their reference machine is called a HSK? (edit - HSK is a tool holder spec) Their example was cutting Ti6-4 with a 3" cutter with DOC 3"! Seems to do this on Maximus I need a cutting force of at least 4000N to 14000N for the big removal rate. They also quoted that a tool deflection of greater than 50um (0.050mm) is undesirable. So should I upgrade Maximus to do this? Peter

say 4000N for 0.050mm implies a machine stiffness of 80N/um
    14000N implies a stiffness of 280N/um but being a hogging task maybe that stiff is not needed.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing new Router called Maximus-ti-force-jpg  
    Last edited by peteeng; 04-27-2019 at 11:02 PM.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast