Australia Designing new Router called Maximus - Page 21

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Designing new Router called Maximus

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Designing new Router called Maximus

I was just looking at your drawing and dang that machine is going to be expensive to build, is the whole thing made from formed plate?

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Dan - Maybe but I think it will surprise you. As a one off done in a manual sheetmetal shop, yes maybe but I think it will be cheaper then a fabricated version. But in a semi automated laser bender production line its economical. The smaller routers I have made have been very economical compared to extrusions and other techniques. Once its designed & costed we shall find out. Plus I have it made in 2, 3 or more units so it's a production run vs a one of. Its intended to be a volume machine so its aimed at 10's, 50's hopefully 100's. Then it will be very cheap.

Currently this router is stiffer on paper then most small mills. So it has a fair bit of metal in it. Once the design is detailed and I run the final simulations it maybe honed down a bit. But it will still have the same amount of bends and a bend generally costs the same no matter what thickness the metal is.

On another matter nuts, bolts and washers have always been hard to deal with. Do I put them into the sub assemblies or GA, do I use patterns etc etc. All of this comes down to we need a BOM at the end so I can order the right amount of screws. I've tried various methods but they all involve manual consolidation at the end. I think I have finally found the best way. 1) I created a bolt rack assembly that I placed into the GA, as I need bolts etc I duplicate from this rack. In this way all the bolts washers etc live in the one assm. This means at the end it has its own single BOM that I can send to the fastener place for orders.... hallelujah!! unfortunately I have started putting bolts in before I thought of this so I either rework it or leave it. Easiest to leave it for now. Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing new Router called Maximus-bolts-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-bolts-jpg  
    Last edited by peteeng; 06-12-2019 at 10:03 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Dan - I answered your Q a bit fast. I'm surprised that you think sheet-metal work is expensive? Expensive compared to what? per linear unit, sheetmetal is the cheapest metal manipulation technology we have. Cheaper than simple machining, definitely cheaper then CNC machining and cheaper than welding per unit length. If you are saying its cheaper for a person to buy a std SHS tube or some angle at the hardware do some welding and fettling at home in the garage then sure that DIY maybe cheaper but that's not a fair comparison. But after the DIYer scenario I'm not sure how to manufacture something more economically than sheetmetal. I'm always looking for better if you have a suggestion. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Dan - I answered your Q a bit fast. I'm surprised that you think sheet-metal work is expensive? Expensive compared to what? per linear unit, sheetmetal is the cheapest metal manipulation technology we have. Cheaper than simple machining, definitely cheaper then CNC machining and cheaper than welding per unit length. If you are saying its cheaper for a person to buy a std SHS tube or some angle at the hardware do some welding and fettling at home in the garage then sure that DIY maybe cheaper but that's not a fair comparison. But after the DIYer scenario I'm not sure how to manufacture something more economically than sheetmetal. I'm always looking for better if you have a suggestion. Peter

My only suggestion would be to have the hardware pressed in, take full advantage of it being made of sheet metal.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Dan - Not sure what you mean by "hardware pressed in" could you explain? Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Without going through all the posts, may i ask, is your frame going to be made from welded tubing??

Thasnks
    Erick

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Ericks - My personal bench and stand will be made from plywood as per the attached image. As the machine is a kit its up to the maker as how they build the bench. I've designed a torsion box bench and two stands. The stands have levelling feet and levelling jacks to the torsion box. Cheers Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing new Router called Maximus-maximus-hd-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks...i actually mean the machine frame?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Ericks - No tubing in the machine at all. It's all made from cut and folded steel. All the machine parts shown in "Maximus Machine" except motors and std parts will be laser cut and folded metal. I've built one half sheet machine like this called Scoot and 3 benchtop machines called Brevis. Maximus is a very stiff full sheet size machine. Peter

Images
    B-4 is the mechanical kit for Brevis which is for sale. Folded mild steel and powdercoated
    B-5 is Brevis2 in build. B1 & B2 are now functioning. B1 is an engraver/small router, B2 is being set up as a 10W laser. There are videos if you search for brevis cnc router you shall find them
    Scoot has been running for 2 years. Its my development machine that I do various trials and make things with it. Scoot 1 image is a hydrofoil plug for a trimaran. Scoot is for sale and I shall replace it with Maximus.
    Maximus-HD will be available as a mechanical kit with a shopping list for all std parts.

You may see the family resemblance in each model.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing new Router called Maximus-maximus-hd-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-maximus-machine-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-b-4-jpg   Designing new Router called Maximus-b-5-jpg  

Designing new Router called Maximus-scoot-1-jpg  
    Last edited by peteeng; 06-13-2019 at 06:22 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow that's really interesting thank you

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Ericks - I have a couple of enquiries for machines that want a ready to go electronics box. If your interested send me a PM. Your PM's are off. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Ericks - I have a couple of enquiries for machines that want a ready to go electronics box. If your interested send me a PM. Your PM's are off. Peter
    Sorry about that...should be fixed now.

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11181920212223 LastLast