prt 1500w controller

Thread: prt 1500w controller

Downloads
    Uploads

Default prt 1500w controller

Hi Guys,
    I've been doing work on my chinese cnc machine for about 5 months now and have run into a problem. I use a 6040 with a prt 1500w controller and custom made exhaust shoe with mach 3, which up until recently was working fine to mill my windsurfing fins from g11 and carbon.
    I'd been watching the roughing stage, then the final cut, and went inside to grab another coffee. While I was inside, I noticed a change in tempo, then raced back out to see that the spindle had dropped down onto the job, the exhaust (dust shoe) had filled up and was smoking and the dust bag in the vacuum cleaner was quite clearly full.
    I had no idea about identifying problems at that stage, and probably still don't, but thought that the stepper motor had failed. Undid the motor and connected it to the y axis and found that it worked. Then I thought that the stepper motor controller was shot, but couldn't isolate the problem. So, I tried the break out board next and found that the z axis didn't work on the bob but the other two did. I guessed at that stage that the stepper controller and the bob had had it.
    I could not see anything wrong with the pcb inverter or power unit, so I went online and ordered 3 new stepper controllers, a new break out board and a 76mm 3A motor (with 1.8nm instead of 1.2) hoping that Tim the tool man actually made sense. My question would be, could this be a viable option, or am I trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear? Is there a unit that would be more reliable, knowing of my shortcomings with electronic circuitry?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails prt 1500w controller-20190208_165158-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: prt 1500w controller

Welcome to the forum.
    If you replacing 'like for like' then it should work just like it used to, not withstanding the reason it failed in the first place. Overheating or overloading? If components ARE getting hot, adding some air flow may be enough to stop it happening again.

Options depend on your skill set and how deep your pockets are.

There a few options to fitting better quality components to your controller case, if you can do electrical work and are able to solve problems as they arise.

If you can and want to afford it, there are complete good quality control boxes available to just swap out with you original control box.
    It hard to advise anything more specific than that at this stage.
    Is there anone nearby who has a CNC Router, that can help you? A Makers Group?

If you add your location, someone close, may be able to help.

Maybe post some pics. That may help us to help you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Sterob,
    Thanks for the reply, I'm replacing the stepper motor drivers with different models. And also the break out board, I'll show some photos of the controller as it stands, and a photo to show what I intend to replace them with. The reason for replacing with different items is that they're no longer available. (or reliable for that matter).
    I've shown a photo of my set-up, with custom dust shoe,(now totalled) and radiator with computer fans. I had to replace the spoil board also as it set fire to that too. The lead going overhead is an extractor fan for the g11 dust that escapes the vacuum.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails prt 1500w controller-20190301_144652-jpg   prt 1500w controller-20181215_144812-002-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry, my photos seem to be landscape and not portrait.
    As you can see, I've removed the z axis motor controller from the box to inspect it for hot spots or obvious damage, but nothing overt so far.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails prt 1500w controller-20190315_134754-jpg   prt 1500w controller-20190315_134740-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: pic orientation

I found that if you crop the pics, so that they are wider than tall, they will display correctly.

My Router is different yours. Is your Spindle DC?
    Do you need to use some other hardware to control that, if you remove your original PCB?

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll give that a try next time.
    I was planning on keeping the original pcb and power supply as they don't seem to be damaged. Yep, my spindle is dc (1.5kw) Can that be done?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by thewillow View Post
    I'll give that a try next time.
    I was planning on keeping the original pcb and power supply as they don't seem to be damaged. Yep, my spindle is dc (1.5kw) Can that be done?
    Sorry....don't know. Hopefully someone else will chime to help.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think this might end up being a "hold my beer" effort. I've been looking on line for a similar vfd but I think I'll give this one a crack, I've got a brand new fire extinguisher anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just a quick question for the refurb buffs. I've got 3 leads going from my vfd (board) to the breakout board (tx141275). One is FOR another is COM and the 3rd is AV1. I was planning to connect the for and com to the new bob (mach3) type, but the 3rd has me stumped, it's a black wire (av1), does that make it a ground wire?
    Picture is 144652jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

FOR and COM will be a relay contact from your BOB to start the VFD.
    AV1 will be a Analog Voltage ( usually 0 - 10 VDC ) to control the speed of your VFD.
    I assume that will use COM as well? Better make sure.

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Re: prt 1500w controller

Thanks very much for that Sterob. Working through the wiring at the moment, keeping hopes high. It may seem a very basic question, but I have a speed controlled vfd on the exterior of the machine, which comes from the vfd board. Will it be necessary to hook up the 0-10v if it's not needed? I'm assuming that the spindle speed control comes from the motherboard (vfd), which is a ribbon cable? The ribbon cable is on the bottom left.
    You can also see the fwd, com and av1 wires on the panel, with a circular magnet.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails prt 1500w controller-20190301_144652-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm a little confused by your terminology and that is making it hard for me to help you. I don't want to give you the wrong info.
    You aren't using a VFD as you have a DC Spindle?
    Have you a schematic of the original wiring?

I was going to PM you but I can't see the link in yout profile.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, sorry about my terminology, or complete lack of it. What I should do is post what I'd like to do. The attached image is of the present bob. What I'm trying to do is remove it, as I believe it's broken, along with the z axis stepper motor driver. Then I'd like to replace it with a different bob and stepper drivers. So far I've managed to draw up the diagram for the drivers, but the bob has me stumped. And I really do appreciate the effort, thank you.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails prt 1500w controller-breakout-20board-20inputs-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I've loaded a photo of the bob I would like to install and a diagram of how I think it might work.
    I believe the board I was referring to is the main board, and the vfd connects to that via a ribbon cable. The 3rd shot is the main board, unless that's not the right name for it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails prt 1500w controller-screenshot_20190323-180257_google-jpg   prt 1500w controller-20190301_144652-jpg   prt 1500w controller-20190323_221414-jpg  
    Last edited by thewillow; 03-23-2019 at 12:03 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

PM me your email address Paul.
    Will make things easier.
    Steve

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Sterob View Post
    PM me your email address Paul.
    Will make things easier.
    Steve
    I think I might have stumbled on an answer after watching countless online videos. I only need to connect the main board to the breakout board if I want to control the spindle speed through the mach3 program. I just need to connect the 12-24v to run the bob. I believe I can control the spindle speed manually through the box mounted pwm.

Last edited by thewillow; 03-26-2019 at 03:15 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think I might have stumbled on an answer after watching countless online videos. I only need to connect the main board to the breakout board if I want to control the spindle speed through the mach3 program. I just need to connect the 12-24v to run the bob. I believe I can control the spindle speed manually through the box mounted pwm.
    Yep, like this:

prt 1500w controller-new-bob-jpg

Except you don't need the USB connection , just a 12-24v supply as shown.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Sterob View Post
    Yep, like this:

prt 1500w controller-new-bob-jpg

Except you don't need the USB connection , just a 12-24v supply as shown.
    Awesome, that's the reply I was hoping for. The 12-24v would be more reliable than the usb cable. Now we're cooking with gas. :-)

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome, that's the reply I was hoping for. The 12-24v would be more reliable than the usb cable. Now we're cooking with gas. :-)
    Well, it took a while but it's all back up and running. New md542 stepper drives and geekcreit breakout board. Tidied up with shielded cables to the bob. And with some guidance from Sterob, it all works, and works well. Very smooth drivers. None of that passenger seat whining any more. Mind you, I did have to slow the motors down a bit less than stock parameters. Happy daze

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails prt 1500w controller-20190501_144637-jpg  
    Last edited by thewillow; 05-01-2019 at 03:05 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

hi i am facing the same thing i did not understand how you connected the 3 wires of the vfd avi- com -fwd to manage spindler with mach3 i have your same cnc i bought a kit of the StepperOnline driver motors feeders and a new board breakout.
    I wired almost everything I would need to know how to connect the 3 vfd wires on the 5 axis Board Breakout would you mind sharing the settings thank you in advance sorry for my english.
    good eveningprt 1500w controller-610byd9h3ml__sl1000_-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails prt 1500w controller-610byd9h3ml__sl1000_-jpg