Australia Huanyang VFD Wiring

Thread: Huanyang VFD Wiring

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Huanyang VFD Wiring

Hey guys

Have just purchased a Huanyang VFD (Model HY02D223B), but I'm unsure of what wire gauge to use. The label on the VFD indicates that the unit is 1 phase in (220v) and 3 phase out.

So, should I be using 15 amp wire for both the input and output sizes of the VFD? Or could I use 10 amp for the (240v) input and 15 amp for the 3 phase output?

Note, that I will be using the full power of the spindle (24,000 rpm) which will attach to the VFD.

Thanks in advance
    Dave

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Huanyang VFD Wiring

The wire for the input should be able to handle at least 20-25 amps.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Grab this from bunnings and cut the end off,

HPM 10m 15A Extra Heavy Duty Caravan Extension Cable

I use them on my machines, each of my machines are plugged into 32amp circuit breakers, with 6mm 3 core cable

works a treat

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pootaholic View Post
    Hey guys

Have just purchased a Huanyang VFD (Model HY02D223B), but I'm unsure of what wire gauge to use. The label on the VFD indicates that the unit is 1 phase in (220v) and 3 phase out.

So, should I be using 15 amp wire for both the input and output sizes of the VFD? Or could I use 10 amp for the (240v) input and 15 amp for the 3 phase output?

Note, that I will be using the full power of the spindle (24,000 rpm) which will attach to the VFD.

Thanks in advance
    Dave
    The output of the drive is 10A the input current will be double the output current, for single phase use so the cable should be rated at least 25A

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Connected to a 10A 220V supply? I think 25A is pretty much overkill for NZ/Australian 220/240V systems.

Maybe in your asthmatic 110V world... but we have full-fat electricity and are man enough to use it

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ledaero View Post
    Connected to a 10A 220V supply? I think 25A is pretty much overkill for NZ/Australian 220/240V systems.

Maybe in your asthmatic 110V world... but we have full-fat electricity and are man enough to use it
    You are very uneducated, USA and all of NA uses 240v Ac Single Phase just the same as you, and you need a 25A circuit In NA they just have an option to split the 240v to 120v there is no such thing as 110v Ac single phase in the USA

Even in Australia an NZ they have electrical code for VFD Drive installation which are stricter than in NA you need to look at your electrical code requirements for a VFD Drive installation

The output cable depending on what motor or spindle you are using a shielded 4 core 16 gauge is all you need for that size VFD Drive ( High Flex Cable if you are using this for a Zaxes on a Router )

If you read the VFD Drive manual you will find the input amp requirement for single phase use like the snip below

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Huanyang VFD Wiring-vfd-drive-single-phase-240v-amp-requirement  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

You are very thin-skinned.

Ever seen one of these ””? Do you know what they represent?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ledaero View Post
    You are very thin-skinned.

Ever seen one of these ””? Do you know what they represent?

Mactect is right, the input current on a single phase 240V drive is much higher than the output.

If the output is to be fully loaded, a dedicated circuit would be required, typically a 10A GPO won't be big enough.

We do have reasonably good standards here, but also a massive knowledge gap with respect to how drives work and the importance of the screened motor cable and how it must be bonded at both ends, not just bunched up and put in a lug!!

Last edited by ger21; 02-15-2019 at 06:26 PM.

ericks

Quote Originally Posted by zxhoon View Post

Mactect is right, the input current on a single phase 240V drive is much higher than the output.

If the output is to be fully loaded, a dedicated circuit would be required, typically a 10A GPO won't be big enough.

We do have reasonably good standards here, but also a massive knowledge gap with respect to how drives work and the importance of the screened motor cable and how it must be bonded at both ends, not just bunched up and put in a lug!!
    I work with "Australians" and you are not correct, there is not a knowledge gap with regards to drives and their installation. Possibly you referring to diy guys....anyway they not supposed to install and wire electrical devices

Last edited by ger21; 02-15-2019 at 06:27 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    I work with "Australians" and you are not correct, there is not a knowledge gap with regards to drives and their installation. Possibly you referring to diy guys....anyway they not supposed to install and wire electrical devices
    I work in the industry in Australia and I can assure you, there is.

I work with some of the biggest users of drives kin industry, anywhere from 0.75kw up to 630kw, with some sites having over 600 drives installed and without a doubt they have very little knowledge about drives.

I'm not talking about DIY guys who are a scary breed on their own haha

Industrial electricians simply don't have the training or experience on drives that they should have here, it's not taught at the basic TAFE level when they are being trained to become electricians, the drives module consists of some very basic information but not enough.

This is not aimed at electricians or to put anyone down, it is just simply the way it is in my experience.

Maybe you talk to skilled electricians or technicians who work with drives a lot, but the vast majority do not know everything they should before working on drives.

I've seen anything from motor cable run in three parallel runs of TPS (house building wire) to screened motor cable only bonded at the drive and not the motor (because an electrical inspector would not pass it if it was bonded at the motor - confusion between bonding motor screen and analog signal screens!), screened motor cable not terminated at the motor as they have used nylon glands instead of EMC glands, the list could go on.