Australia Best way to get CNC Table (Plasma) on a budget ?

Thread: Best way to get CNC Table (Plasma) on a budget ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Best way to get CNC Table (Plasma) on a budget ?

Hi Guys!

After playing with / rebuilding 3D Printers for a couple of years, and getting, what I hope is at-least a rudimentary understanding of CNC, I would really like to get or build a CNC table to start plasma cutting various things (Brackets etc)

I have a very limited budget, but already own a plasma cutter, so was hoping I might be able to put something together like this.

https://www.instructables.com/id/CNC-Plasma-Table/

Do you guys think something like this would be ok ? Would there be anyone in Brisbane / Ipswich area that would perhaps be willing to cut / fold the parts for me ? I would not expect the service for nothing

Or is there a better way to do things ? Maybe buy a cheap Chinese table and upgrade the motors etc ?

Anyway guys, I would really appreciate any advice / input you may have!

Thanks

Glen

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Best way to get CNC Table (Plasma) on a budget ?

Plasma and limited budget are almost mutually exclusive. I'm not far away from you so send me a PM and you can come and see the table I built which is currently at Acacia Ridge. I recently sold my plasma cutter with a view to upgrading to Hypertherm. I found out today I have some challenges with the wiring in the industrial unit I have just moved into that is a bit of speed bump for that plan, so I could be tempted to part with it...

In terms of getting stuff cut, assuming you have DXF files and PDF drawings of the parts, I'd just send them to Laser Central at Richlands and have them laser cut. I can introduce you or put it through my account. I had them cut and fold a number of parts for my machine. Having the bolt holes to mount the linear rails in perfect position and ready for tapping was well worth the expense...

This is what we are talking about...... It was not a trivial build....

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Rod,

Thanks very much for the offer! Ill send you a PM about a visit!

Quote Originally Posted by rodw View Post
    Plasma and limited budget are almost mutually exclusive. I'm not far away from you so send me a PM and you can come and see the table I built which is currently at Acacia Ridge. I recently sold my plasma cutter with a view to upgrading to Hypertherm. I found out today I have some challenges with the wiring in the industrial unit I have just moved into that is a bit of speed bump for that plan, so I could be tempted to part with it...

In terms of getting stuff cut, assuming you have DXF files and PDF drawings of the parts, I'd just send them to Laser Central at Richlands and have them laser cut. I can introduce you or put it through my account. I had them cut and fold a number of parts for my machine. Having the bolt holes to mount the linear rails in perfect position and ready for tapping was well worth the expense...

This is what we are talking about...... It was not a trivial build....

Downloads
    Uploads

Don't know what your budget or size requirements are but a Chinese "kit" may work for you.

Like many Chinese machines, they are often quite good fully assembled "kits" but need some finishing to make them better. If you go this path be absolutely certain they understand what you are asking for.

I might be able to help if you would like to describe what you are looking for in detail.

Send me a PM or e-mail if you don't want to post here.

Cheers,

Harry E.
    ===

Downloads
    Uploads

Building the table is not that big of deal I have done a few, what kills it here is the price of a good size Hypertherm plasma. That will cost you as much if not more than the table.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by he1957 View Post
    Yer and like i said in the other post " your point is???"

Downloads
    Uploads

Someone wanting to build/buy a CNC machine and someone wanting to sell one or is that cross-reference too obscure since both folks are in Australia and their posts are but a few days apart?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by he1957 View Post
    Someone wanting to build/buy a CNC machine and someone wanting to sell one or is that cross-reference too obscure since both folks are in Australia and their posts are but a few days apart?
    This thread is talking about plasma. The other is a Router. Design parameters are poles apart. Plasma gantry needs to be light and quick with no cutting forces to worry about but acceleration is king!.

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Downloads
    Uploads

Sure, but the underlying electro-mechanics are not that different. Depending on what the other thread has on offer, perhaps the pulleys (if part of the kit) could be reversed for speed and not grunt. For a laser gantry - how about balsa wood perhaps with Al or fiberglass reinforcement if necessary? :-)

Just trying to connect these two members - if that may be beneficial for them :-)

Downloads
    Uploads

Howdy Rod,

I am planning my cnc as well and was hoping to come and look at yours and maybe get a bit of advice if possible.
    I had a look at your website but only gives a po box address

Can you help?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Razzmeister View Post
    Howdy Rod,

I am planning my cnc as well and was hoping to come and look at yours and maybe get a bit of advice if possible.
    I had a look at your website but only gives a po box address

Can you help?
    Oops, sorry I thought I'd changed that address when we moved out of home into a warehouse at Acacia Ridge but it was hardcoded. But my phone numbers are on that page.
    Try again now its edited.
    https://www.vehiclemods.net.au/contact-us

I've now got a Thermal Dynamics 120 amp cutter on it so 16mm is a walk in the park!

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au