Australia Wiring between stepper motors and drivers


Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Wiring between stepper motors and drivers

  1. #1
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    14
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Wiring between stepper motors and drivers

    Hey folks. I have a Pacific Tooling PT6012 Router. I would have liked a wiring diagram when I bought it but they said it wasn't available. Hence, I have been slowly creating one for my machine.
    During this process, I have noticed what seems to be an inconsistency. All of my stepper motors (I have a 4 axis machine) have red, green, blue and yellow wires.
    For the Y & Z axes, yellow goes to the B+ terminal on the (Leadshine M542-05) drivers and the blue goes to the B- terminal. However, for my X & A axes, this is reversed i.e. yellow to B- and blue to B+.
    My question is this, does this reversal matter? If it does, why are they reversed? The machine works fine like this but I'd still like to know (I'm like that )

    Thanks in advance for any info.

    Cheers
    Doug

    Similar Threads:


  2. #2
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    708
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Wiring between stepper motors and drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by Dougsshed View Post
    Hey folks. I have a Pacific Tooling PT6012 Router. I would have liked a wiring diagram when I bought it but they said it wasn't available. Hence, I have been slowly creating one for my machine.
    During this process, I have noticed what seems to be an inconsistency. All of my stepper motors (I have a 4 axis machine) have red, green, blue and yellow wires.
    For the Y & Z axes, yellow goes to the B+ terminal on the (Leadshine M542-05) drivers and the blue goes to the B- terminal. However, for my X & A axes, this is reversed i.e. yellow to B- and blue to B+.
    My question is this, does this reversal matter? If it does, why are they reversed? The machine works fine like this but I'd still like to know (I'm like that )

    Thanks in advance for any info.

    Cheers
    Doug
    It's good that you making a diagram, it might prove useful in the future



  3. #3
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    14
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Wiring between stepper motors and drivers

    Indeed! I know of a couple of other guys who have bought this machine and I intend to give them a copy when I'm finished (with a disclaimer of course).



  4. #4
    Registered CitizenOfDreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    645
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Wiring between stepper motors and drivers

    Whoever assembled the machine probably just swapped those wires to set the desired direction of rotation for the steppers. If you swap them back, you will have to correct for it in the software settings.



  5. #5
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    708
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Wiring between stepper motors and drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by Dougsshed View Post
    Indeed! I know of a couple of other guys who have bought this machine and I intend to give them a copy when I'm finished (with a disclaimer of course).
    That is very good indeed



  6. #6
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    14
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Wiring between stepper motors and drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    Whoever assembled the machine probably just swapped those wires to set the desired direction of rotation for the steppers. If you swap them back, you will have to correct for it in the software settings.
    Thanks for that. I guess it was easier for the factory to do that rather than fix it in Mach3 (they provided the software already set up).



Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

Wiring between stepper motors and drivers

Wiring between stepper motors and drivers