Australia HAFCO HM-47 (RF-47) CNC Conversion

Thread: HAFCO HM-47 (RF-47) CNC Conversion

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default HAFCO HM-47 (RF-47) CNC Conversion

Hi Folks,

Thought I might start a build thread for my latest CNC project. I am splitting this one with my father, he is doing the mechanical side and I am doing the electrical side.

The machine has been purchased, and my father is currently is well underway doing his stuff. I think he has nearly completed the x and y axis, but that is on hold for now due to some surgery. He is drawing up all the mechanical parts (progecad), and I am fairly sure he would be happy to post the drawings up for others. So hopefully I can get some files up here as well. I will try and get him to sign up to cnczone also, so perhaps he can answer questions on the mechanical and machining side. The old bugger is getting on now, in his 70's but he is still sharp as with the design/drafting/machining aspect of engineering. He might be slowing down physically, but he is still turning steel into chips at an alarming rate.

I have yet to start the electrics/electronics, but so far I have acquired DMM Dyn2 servo's and controller (copying bits from this thread https://www.cnczone.com/forums/rf-45...52676-cnc.html). These are going to be driven by an Ethernet Smooth Stepper (aquired) plugged into a cnc-technics break out board (on order). I had initially planed to use a PMDX break out board, but after several unanswered emails with request to purchase I gave up on the idea. I am currently debating on weather to stick with Mach 3 (as used on my current cnc router) or upgrade to mach 4. I'll plan to start drawing up the schematics for the electrical side over the next 2 weeks so I know what other stuff I need to order.

I dare say we wont get this completed till next year. I have about 2 months up my sleeve then I am overseas till the new year, but hopefully I can get some progress pics up soon.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: HAFCO HM-47 (RF-47) CNC Conversion

didn't think this post worked. kept giving me error messges each time I tried!

Downloads
    Uploads

Mate I have a half arsed HM 47 conversion (in the sense that I have the electrics working but still running on the Acme lead screws).
    Surprisingly once you tighten things up they are quite accurate even with those.
    I have the ballscrews sitting in the shed ready to make up the mounts etc, it's a matter of time, there's not enough of it in the day.

Keep us informed (might get me inspired to find time), PLENTY of pic's please

There are 10 types of people in the world
    Those of us who get binary, and those who don't.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post
    Mate I have a half arsed HM 47 conversion (in the sense that I have the electrics working but still running on the Acme lead screws).
    Surprisingly once you tighten things up they are quite accurate even with those.
    I have the ballscrews sitting in the shed ready to make up the mounts etc, it's a matter of time, there's not enough of it in the day.
    Not sure what leadscrews the old man is using, He is still stuck in the hospital at the moment until they get his warfarin doses sorted. He is keen to get out and get back into it though. Off to see him tomorrow morn.

I started drawing up the electrical diagrams last night. Still got parts on order so cant do much at the moment, but I figure if I start drawing it up I can work out what bits I am missing and still need to order.

Whilst starting to draft it all up, I was forced to look at detail at the CNC-Technics BOB. There doco is poor. Looks like a good product, but there is not much info out there on it. I dont think I will have any issues figuring it out, but it would be nice to have some more solid info.

Anyway, once the old man gets released from the sick person prison, I'll get a few pics of the progress.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The old man is out of hospital. Took a few quick snaps of the work he has done so far (he has since finished the X and Y axis). Unbeknownst to me, he has done the conversion in such a way that the Mill can sill be used manually! He has beaten me, I still have not received all the electronics/electrical yet!

BOB Should turn up next week, so should be able to lay out all the electrical stuff and figure out what I still need. I am going to mount it on a piece of plywood for now, just to get it organised and let the old man do some tests. Hopefully by the end of next week I might be able to show x and y moving, but realistically is probably going to be 2 weeks away!

Once I have all the electrical laid out I will either use an off the shelf box or design and fabricate my own if I cant find anything.

Anyway, some quick progress pics of the old mans work when I was last at his place.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Got going on my side. The last few days I have laid out the wiring and components on a piece of MDF. Plan is to wire it all up and test it then figure out what size box is needed.

Started testing today, after a bit of probing with the multimeter and oscilloscope I have managed to get relays clicking, e-stops working and motors turning. Next stage is to tune the motors to the machine.

I have to say, that I would not recommend the CNC-Technics Break out board. The board itself might be fine, but the documentation is atrocious. I am fortunate that I have background in electrics/electronics and industrial control plus some experience with Mach 3, because a new comer would really struggle with it. However you live and learn, and next time I know what to look out for.

I'll post some pics up of the prototype cabinet tomorrow.