Default Re: New Aussi CNC controller

Thanks dharmic

Im off to look at there web sit right now

Cheers
    Jackback

Downloads
    Uploads

If it helps, I recently went from the POS breakout that came with my OmioCNC to a UC400-ETH (about $200 from their Oz distributor), and an $8 breakout board from fleaBay. Already had Mach3 and just switched over, still considering throwing another hundred at the UCCNC software but holding off until there's a lull in the project queue so I can spend a bit of decent time getting used to it.

The controller is an ethernet job. Grabbed a crappy old windows XP laptop out of the back of the pile in the back of the "may come in handy" shelf so that bit I consider to be free And off we go!

Downloads
    Uploads

The only problem I have had running Homan bob and Mach 3 is I believe noise triggering a limit switch after running an hour long code no deal breaker .I am not that knowledgeable first to admit it But I think the best thing I did was buy the Gecko Drivers G 203v smooth sailing fer me .cheers John.

Downloads
    Uploads

noise triggering a limit switch
    Put a 0.1 uF capacitor from the screw terminal on the Homann BoB to ground - there will be one nearby. Then in Mach3 go to Configure ESS and change the filtering to about 100 uS. That should sort it out, and it won't impact your use of the machine at all. (Ah - are you using an ESS or the LPT?)

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Was looking into a smooth stepper but I have it sough-ted now the cap did the trick ,thank's Roger .

Downloads
    Uploads

Converted a few Sieg X3 size mills and an old knee mill to cnc as well as building a fairly reasonable router which comfortably cuts parts for other projects from 12mm ali plate and all I use for my controllers are Chinese stepper controllers,one for each axis, 48volt PS and $10 Chinese breakout board.All fits nicely into a JayCar metal case. I buy ex government Dell PC's with parallel ports for $50 and in five years of building I have only had one stepper driver fail. All driven with Mach3 .The schematic is on Long Motors website,cheap as chips easy to build and work. :-)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post
    The problem sir is your geographic location. The Land of Oz makes it really difficult to bring in controllers from outside the country. Anything over 1000 Aus dollars is taxed. Couple that with volatile exchange rates the really high shipping rates and you get economic disincentives to not spend a lot of time marketing into your fine country. The problem gets compounded on larger systems because the only reasonable shipping option (USPS Express Mail) has a size and weight limit (but only to Australia (??). The other carriers are like buying it a seat on a plane!

We used to sell a lot of controllers into Australia (mostly larger servo types for some reason) but that was before the size restrictions suddenly popped up and the exchange rate was much better. There are pros and cons to everything but you can get a new mini fanless quad core PC with 4 GB ram for about 200 bucks and with an SSD and Ethernet , load it with LINUXCNC and drop in an Ethernet pulse card and hide it in an enclosure and bingo you have a self contained box with lots of options and capabilities.

TOMcaudle
    www.CandCNC.com
    Home of new CommandCNC(tm) for LINUX
    Nothing surprises me any more here Tom. Everything seems to cost a fortune and all our government can do is create more productivity crushing regulations, and fine people wherever possible. So many backward things here, this ain't a developed country in my opinion. A drive on the chaotic roads here reveals a lot about the way of thinking of many.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

I have been developing a new full featured Gecko G540 controller that should be available soon. A couple of photos below;

New Aussi CNC controller-back-jpg

New Aussi CNC controller-front-jpg

I've designed the controller so that it is easy to work on and expand. It has a number of PCBs that help to reduce the complexity of the wiring, along with adding useful features, such as indicators on the front panel for the G540 inputs and Outputs.

New Aussi CNC controller-controllerback-jpg

I haven't decided yet, whether to just offer it as a completed controller, or also as a kit for people to assemble themselves, as there is no soldering required to assemble the unit.

Cheers,

Peter

-------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Peter

Simple: offer both.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Phil: Offer them both but make the DIY kit cost more to cover all of the support calls you will get when it gets plugged in and turned on and fails to work. If you have more than one connector of the same type they will get plugged in wrong..
    Sorry, just had to say that!

Downloads
    Uploads

I have followed one of Peters Schematics and the only problem I had was ME and my vague understanding of what some of the electronic terms meant (so learn I did ) came out the other end without too many self made problems .I like that package I believe it could be good for a cnc ect easy set up I would say .

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    Hi Peter

Simple: offer both.

Cheers
    Roger
    Hi Roger,

I will get around to it. The problem I have with the kit at the moment is writing the step by step manual. It will take some time. At the moment I'm looking for a company to make the wiring looms. The sub chassis will be laser cut and etched for the component placement.

New Aussi CNC controller-chassis4-jpg

Cheers,

Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post
    Phil: Offer them both but make the DIY kit cost more to cover all of the support calls you will get when it gets plugged in and turned on and fails to work. If you have more than one connector of the same type they will get plugged in wrong..
    Sorry, just had to say that!
    Yes, I agree with that. The power connections are always the concern. Below is the chassis with parts mounted.

New Aussi CNC controller-chassis10-jpg

Cheers,

Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by InMesh View Post
    I have followed one of Peters Schematics and the only problem I had was ME and my vague understanding of what some of the electronic terms meant (so learn I did ) came out the other end without too many self made problems .I like that package I believe it could be good for a cnc ect easy set up I would say .
    Sometimes it's hard to pitch at the right level. Things that are obvious to me due to my background are not necessarily so to others starting out. I get so many questions regarding the G540 wiring schematic I posted. Usually I go "Ok, I can see how they thought it was like that" and then fix the schematic I'm amazed at how many CNC sites refer back to it..

Cheers,

Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

That is the thing I think people coming from different back grounds mine engineering .It is kind of like I want to build a CNC then OH I need all this there was a fair learning curve I just broke it down to individual components used colored wiring got my head around it that way .As for the schematics they worked well for me a credit to you without them there would have been a fair amount of confusion on my part ,cheers John.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by phomann View Post
    I have been developing a new full featured Gecko G540 controller that should be available soon.
    Nice diversion! Apart from "me too" what has you blah got to do with this thread?? It was about the Masso controller... of which I think the industry should be supportive of anyone trying to offer something new, not shut the guy down because his marketing campaign is exaggerated.

But as far as I'm concerned, all these types of controllers are open loop and therefore completely useless. Open loop with C7 ball screws really is hobby stuff and Mach 3 also doesn't support encoder feedback - junk!!

My advise is work out what features and performance you need, and then work out what controller is suitable. If its hobby open loop then the Masso should work very well for you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FastFarmer View Post
    Nice diversion! Apart from "me too" what has you blah got to do with this thread?? It was about the Masso controller... of which I think the industry should be supportive of anyone trying to offer something new, not shut the guy down because his marketing campaign is exaggerated.

But as far as I'm concerned, all these types of controllers are open loop and therefore completely useless. Open loop with C7 ball screws really is hobby stuff and Mach 3 also doesn't support encoder feedback - junk!!

My advise is work out what features and performance you need, and then work out what controller is suitable. If its hobby open loop then the Masso should work very well for you.
    OK, I'll take the bait.

1. The thread was started by Jackback asking for opinions on the Masso motion controller as a replacement for his cnc controller manufactured by Logitroll who are out of business.
    2. It was pointed out to Jackback that Masso produces Motion Controllers and not a CNC controllers ( I'm using the standard definition of a motion controller is a device that produces signaling (step/dir) into a CNC Controller that has the power controllers driving the motors)
    3. Jackback then re-framed his question to " I guess my thread should have been more about can any one recomend a proven cnc controller for large stepper motor's
    4. to ready to go, out of the box, from a company with good back up and support so that I can get back into this hobby"

Various people then discussed a number of possible options for complete controllers (along with a few other side discussions which is not uncommon on the Australia, New Zealand Club Hose forum.

As Jackback was looking for a complete ready to go controller I joined in stating that I will soon have one that may fit his requirements.

I'm a bit surprised at the tone of your post.

If you read the thread through, you will see that the originator realised that the Masso motion controller was not what he was after and he then changed the question to a ready to go controller.
    Your statement "If its hobby open loop then the Masso should work very well for you" seems like you haven't understood that the originator of the thread wants a new CNC controller, not just a motion controller.
    There is nothing wrong with the Masso motion controller, it's just not what Jackback is after.

Cheers,

Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FastFarmer View Post

What a ridiculous and ill-informed rant!

Open-loop != completely useless!

Same goes for your statement that C7 ballscrews is really hobby stuff.

Tell that to the many thousands of people who have built very substantial cnc and milling businesses with exactly that kind of gear. It may predominately be used by hobbyists as that is the price point config, but many hobbyists can produce very exacting dimensions using them, just like people with better quality gear can produce inferior results, so slurring hobbyists and the associated hardware in this way is just silly and ignorant.

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by phomann View Post
    Your statement "If its hobby open loop then the Masso should work very well for you" seems like you haven't understood that the originator of the thread wants a new CNC controller, not just a motion controller.
    There is nothing wrong with the Masso motion controller, it's just not what Jackback is after.
    Sounds off topic, but fair enough. I did just blindly jump in...

OK, well... another option for Jackback then is go see Ausino Engineering. He can get you a cheap Chinese all in one 3 or 4 panel/motion controller/cnc controller that the steppers just plug into it. However, you have to also buy the motors designed with/for the panel.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    What a ridiculous and ill-informed rant!
    LOL!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast