Australia Advice time, compressors - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice time, compressors

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Advice time, compressors

Hi dharmic

new Hush-100 compressor. . . What I'll remember is that this thing is quiet and fast. 100l tank filled in well under a minute and about 20dB-A at one metre
    Details, PLEASE.
    Supplier, city, price, attached fittings (regulator, filter, etc) if relevant, what sort of air line connector?
    Mine is B****Y noisy and old.

Cheers
    Roger
    Sydney

Downloads
    Uploads

Well that's convenient for you. Supplier is Sydney Tools

Mine was $1200 plus $200 insured across the paddock. They do smaller ones - now that I've seen how much oomph this one has I may well have survived happily with the 70 instead - and the smaller ones are cheaper. Comes with a cheapo regulator and water trap but still better quality than the supercheap auto one I had on my old one. Nitto socket standard, even comes with a stand to which you can attach your reel - and they supply them too.

https://sydneytools.com.au/chicago-h...air-compressor

:edit: FWIW I had a look at a bunch of "quiet" compressors and they were anything but. Even the belt drives in silenced boxes didn't get near these in quietness. Pilot Air do a screw unit which is close, but at $6500 and a nightmare maintenance regime I didnae wanna play.

The only thing that makes me nervous about these is the maintenance and wear being oilless. But they've had 'em out in the field for 6 years with only a handful of returns, by the sound of it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Screw compressors have to scream in revs. Maintenance - yeah.

What puzzles me is that the Hush 70 and Hush 150 are rated at 70 db noise, while the Hush 100 is rated at 50 db. One has to wonder. Only thing to do I think would be to actually go and look at one in operation (or listen).

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

This is the doubt I had - they quote 50dB but not dB-A or at what distance. Anyway...

In a shed (you have to factor reverberation and so on) I measured off 80dBa at 1m where my old two pot direct was a whopping 98. Still not 50, but with a 50dB ambient it's pretty good for what it's shuffling out. And that's with all three motors running - cut it down to one motor and it's significantly quieter again.

If you can go in, that's the ticket. A little difficult from Perth.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, reverb doesn't help, but what really annoyed my wife was when the compressor drifted up against the gal wall of the workshop and shook the whole wall. Apparently it was much louder from the outside. Me, I was wearing ear muffs ...
    Hum ... $1.2k ...

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

It's also the quality of the sound: this thing purrs rather than brain raping clatter of a normal compressor. So it seems quieter than it is.

Yep, not cheap. But I figure it's got maybe 1.5x the capacity of my old 3hp machine and, in a year, I'll have forgotten what it cost.

Downloads
    Uploads

Clatter - yeah. Cause for thought.
    Is it OK cycling on and off?
    Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Each pump has a separate blowoff solenoid and check valve so they're not fighting reservoir pressure to start up. Seem pretty happy kicking in and out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Makes sense of course, but still nice.
    Also makes it easy to temporarily switch one pump out.
    Hum ...
    Cheers & thanks
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Hum is exactly where I was a month ago.

Then started listening and measuring compressors in shops, coming home to use (and increasingly hate) mine.

One day I just reached the "fnck it" point.

You may too - but if you can then definitely go have a look/listen first. You may find the 70 is ample.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I bought an old Coldstream compressor from the Logan dump shop for about $40. It has a 1hp electric motor belt-driving a single cylinder compressor. The tank was too big and HEAVY to even move around easily - so I rebuilt the whole thing on a 40 litre tank I got for free. For about $17 I got a pressure switch unit from ebay that goes from about 50 (low) to 70 (high) psi. I bought a copper pipe bending and flanging kit from ebay for about $22 and bent some used copper pipe as required. I bought a tube of Bondlock Pipe Seal which anaerobically cures when in contact with metal ( and threaded parts can be removed with hot air gun)-- for about $23. I made up a safety guard around the belt and pulleys and added a $17 ebay regulator and used the old pressure gauge on the tank. I got a new lawn mower air filter from bunnings for about $12. When it is in use I point a pedestal fan at it for extra cooling.

I have this now outside my shed because it is quieter that way. The sound level is about the same as the noisiest part of a (quiet) washing machine's cycle. You can have a quiet conversation right next to it.
    While it is limited in pressure and capacity, it is enough for most of my needs.

I also have a noisy 2HP direct drive compressor that I got from SuperCheap Auto for about $100. When I get it working again. There is a brass non-return valve on this compressor which is a real HAZZARD as the brass cap has a tendency to get blasted off by the pressure when you least expect it. The cap has the weight of a bullet and after being blasted off by 100 psi it is a real danger. This has happened twice now and I have got a replacement from ebay but this time I will be wiring some chicken wire around it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Gosh.

Just spent a day sharing a shed with the new machine. It's not going to take many more days like today for me to forget the pain in my hip pocket and focus on the joy of brain space.

Occasionally it fired up and ran for a while. Sounded like someone running a four stroke lawnmower a couple of blocks away. Wow.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey dharmic - you trying to rub it in?

Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes.

Yes I am.

:P

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi.......the noise factor is a real problem with compressors........the solution a friend did was to run his oldish twin cylinder compressor at half speed by adjusting the pulley sizes and couple a second air receiver tank to it.........provided the consumption doesn't exceed the supply, the volume of 2 X 100 litre tanks makes up for the supply by allowing for the on off usage.

A lot of the noise can be traced to the discharge valve making a high speed burping noise and this is the main noise creator.

BTW......a 2 litre car engine at tick over or 1000 rpm, is hardly noticeable even standing next to it........being an internal combustion machine the muffler does all the sound deadening work and that is from an explosion in each cylinder.......perhaps a compressor can be quieter if the discharge is muffled more efficiently.

Now, if I were to be using a lot of air all the time, I'd think about utilising a defunct 4 cylinder engine as a compressor and drive it slowly with a 2 HP electric motor and a big air receiver or two....whatever.... instead of at some insane speed that only generates lots of noise.

Perhaps the ready made solution is the sane way to go.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ian's proposed solution actually sounds rather like dharmic's Hush 100 unit - 3 cylinders rather than 4.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

The Hush 100 has 3 motors, each driving 2 cylinders at a fairly low RPM (1200 or so?). So a 6 cyl motor. Apart from the lower RPM it looks like they've gone for a wider bore, shorter stroke piston meaning speeds are down for the displacement. Instead of using a rattly sheet of tin for the valve they have a different shape thing with a bit of bulk to it. And they have different "rooms" in the head which absorb different frequencies of sound like a muffler to further knock it down. They have mufflers on the intakes and rubber vibration mount the power units to the frame.

It looks like they've either gone to some considerable effort to get the noise down or they've just ripped off the California Air Tools design, no way of knowing which and frankly I don't much care - it's effective and a lot more compact than a 6 cyl engine and motor.

Much as I enjoy shed tinkering time, I'm learning to spot the projects which shouldn't be projects - the things which will logjam all the other projects and turn shed actual productivity to zero for months or years. This looked like one of them. I was pretty happy to spend a day running the mill etc and being productive yesterday instead of being up to my elbows in some wrecked motor or attempting to repair my old noisebox.

Downloads
    Uploads

Under-rate everything. What a novel approach today!
    Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi....I quite agree.....dodging up a compressor arrangement is not a 5 minute job.

Some time back in the 80's a chap at our model club built a hobby compressor using a small 125cc 4 stroke single cyl vertical engine driven by a 1/4 HP electric motor.......it's the type like a Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine, except it's in a vertical mode.

A new head was made from a piece of aluminium plate with two steel ball valves and the original valves (on the side) and camshaft were removed.

I bought it later at the club auction after he passed away........it pumps up to 80 PSI but has low output volume....it's also very quiet........I intend to mount it on a 50 litre compressor tank that I bought at another auction (sans motor and pump) to increase the storage capacity......one of those projects stacked in the must do box......cost was about $50 plus $5 for the compressor tank, and plus another $15 or so for the regulator valve.

I already have a hobby compressor I bought from Supercheap autos, but it can waken the dead when cycling on, so the other project one is starting to look good.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

There was one substantial thing I did to quieten my Comp and that was to remove those ridiculous foam filters on the Intake and put silencers on them best thing ever .
    Advice time, compressors-silencio-jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast