About the Australian and New Zealand forum - Page 25

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1522232425

Thread: About the Australian and New Zealand forum

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: About the Australian and New Zealand forum

Does it need to be 5 axis ? I've been doing some patterns for lost foam casting with Extruded Polystyrene (is that the EPS you mean?) Only 3 axis stuff but it machines surprisingly well.

Russell.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, high density expanded polystyrene foam = 28kg/m3 and the job is item (a) 915 x 807 x 267mm high by quantity 2 and item (b) 861 x 800 x 265mm high by quantity 2, so a total of 4 pieces. I just emailed you so I hope your email is still the same. I remember a guy in the States from a carbon fibre composites factory and he always got by okay with his 3 axis router making all sorts of moulds, forms and bucks, etc.
    Phil

Last edited by skippy; 11-04-2017 at 03:32 AM. Reason: more info

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All, Lach here from Newcastle. Not sure if this is the right place to say hi, but Hi!

I Have been stubbornly avoiding trolling the forums but thought that's a bit selfish so here I am. Its a lonely old road here in Newy for a DIY-CNCer! so I thought I better rectify that. Famly and friends not really that interested!!! not surprisingly.

I've been thinking about this project for probably 10 years at least.

In Ernest I have spent the last 6-12 months properly setting up my workshop with Lathe/Mill etc, for the purpose of building a Proper CNC Mill. Built the Garage into a dedicated area for the CNC to sit atop an Epoxy levelled floor. I am well into construction with the bed base and support frame mostly complete. Next step with be to take Bed to sydney for surface grinding...(it was a mission trying to find someone that could actually do it!!

I am shooting for a 1000x800x600mm work envelope with the capability of basically machining anything from plastic to hardened alloy steels. Initially I was shooting for at most stainless but after seeing what can be done on my bridgeport clone I have hopes I could take on small jobs in difficult materials. getting ahead of myself.

The style of machine is a fixed gantry/ moving table set up. I was convinced of this design years ago because of the rigidity advantages of the design though clearly a larger machine than a moving gantry. I have not really seen anything similar to to my design but I believe its workable. The table itself is 1000mm but the bed needs to be at least 2000mm long. Its heavy even though made from RHS, just the base and bed are currently at about 750kg and I estimate once finish will weigh ballpark 2000kg, who knows maybe more. if I have any resonance issues I plan to fill some of the hollow sections with epoxy granite of some kind!!

Spindle wise I will probably shoot for a 10-15kw Job for now and would love to go HSK63a but I don't think its feasible(cost effective) which is a pity since I picked up about 100 tool holders with some carbide for 1000 bucks on ebay. Though there are a couple spindles in Germany on ebay I can't find ANYTHING else anywhere and my fears about trying to successfully drive them are steering me away from HSK and towards a 40 taper chinese spindle.

Anyway hope this is of interest and look forward to comments/feedback!
    Anyone on the Newy area?

I'll be posting regular updates on Instagram if anyone is interested. diy.cnc.mad

I hate documenting so Instagram is about as good as its going to get....maybe....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails About the Australian and New Zealand forum-img_20171019_190346-jpg   About the Australian and New Zealand forum-img_20171027_190143-jpg   About the Australian and New Zealand forum-img_20171113_190242-jpg  

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1522232425