what do you think of chinese cnc machine?

View Poll Results: What do you think of your chinese cnc machine purchase?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

9 56.25%
  • Bad

7 43.75%

Thread: what do you think of chinese cnc machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default what do you think of chinese cnc machine?

Anyone here has bought a chinese cnc machine? What do you think of your purchase experience and after-sales service? Is it good or bad?

Welcome to post your opinions.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: what do you think of chinese cnc machine?

We purchased a CNC Plasma/Oxy 3500mmx1800mm from China we specked Hypertherm software and servo motors.
    Had the machine 4 years now and it runs great.
    We did visit a number of manufacturers before making our purchase.

Downloads
    Uploads

They have the potential to be insanely good value for money compared to locally built or machines from anywhere like Europe or the USA.

But...

QA tends to be rubbish, so it's completely up to chance whether you get a shining example of a machine or an utter, utter lemon. There's no local support, and by the sounds of it, once they have your money there doesn't seem to be a lot of pressure felt by the Chinese manufacturers to provide ongoing support. There may be some legal avenue to pursue but, if there is, it's not going to be fast or cheap.

I didn't mind buying a Chinese machine (OmioCNC X2200-L) because it's only for a hobby. And I was lucky - mine is a pretty tidy unit. If it were for a business and I started factoring in costs of protracted down-time, long setup if it didn't arrive in good condition, chasing information which the manufacturer wouldn't or couldn't release, etc, etc, etc? I'd probably see that the extra cost of a locally supported machine was well justified.

Downloads
    Uploads

In OZ we have no choice but to buy Chinese stuff if we don't want to get taken to the cleaners.

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    In OZ we have no choice but to buy Chinese stuff if we don't want to get taken to the cleaners.

cheers, Ian
    Ha ha, I'd had my fair share of crap customer service here, especially from guys. On a side note, a drive on the roads in peak hour shows just how many people we have here with a "f*%k you" attitude. No doubt some of them will be sellers of stuff, business owners, etc.

Prices are very high here too, so if everyone starts buying Australian, that's only going to get worse as many greedy sellers take advantage of demand.

I talked to a machine shop who wanted some parts making from a company just 20 mins away. It would take 2 weeks to get the parts made and delivered. Delivery was over half that time LOL. The buyer asked why can't he just come and pick up the parts, but the seller said we don't work that way.

The buyer contacted a company in China. He had good quality parts for 1/5th price delivered to his door in 4 days.

The Chinese are going to own this country and rule over us in the future.

I have some Russian software that I needed some support with. I got the often experienced worthless "help" from the Aussie distributors, and after a week was no further forward. So contacted the Russia head office and had the problem sorted within a day. The Aussie guy called me up saying I didn't have to go calling Russia, what a dick.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Ha ha, I'd had my fair share of crap customer service here, especially from guys. On a side note, a drive on the roads in peak hour shows just how many people we have here with a "f*%k you" attitude. No doubt some of them will be sellers of stuff, business owners, etc.

Prices are very high here too, so if everyone starts buying Australian, that's only going to get worse as many greedy sellers take advantage of demand.

I talked to a machine shop who wanted some parts making from a company just 20 mins away. It would take 2 weeks to get the parts made and delivered. Delivery was over half that time LOL. The buyer asked why can't he just come and pick up the parts, but the seller said we don't work that way.

The buyer contacted a company in China. He had good quality parts for 1/5th price delivered to his door in 4 days.

The Chinese are going to own this country and rule over us in the future.

I have some Russian software that I needed some support with. I got the often experienced worthless "help" from the Aussie distributors, and after a week was no further forward. So contacted the Russia head office and had the problem sorted within a day. The Aussie guy called me up saying I didn't have to go calling Russia, what a dick.
    So true. I have the same problems here with an "Australian" built cnc plasma, (I'm talking $400k +machine) the company has nothing but crap customer service. The company's "philosophy" is not to fix the machine when it's down, it's just to get it going that way they keep making their money ( their own words!) They don't like selling you parts in case you fix it yourself, and if they do sell you something it takes weeks to get the part in, and when you final get the part it's just over priced cheap crap! Heaven help you if you bring someone (apart from them) in to even clean and service the machine. The Chinese may be a bit had to get along with but so are greedy Australian Company's.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm finding the Chinese increasingly better to deal with over time. And the fact they don't embrace the "charge as much as possible" attitude that is pretty typical among local sellers is just great, and helps to off-set any trivial issues with quality control or cosmetic issues in the end product.

Sellers here have had it pretty good for a long time, but a lot have never adjusted their operations to cater for a smaller world where you can get anything you want from anywhere in the world, at very low cost. The fact the local sellers are generally doing nothing more than distributing Chinese products at vastly inflated prices, and then whinge about people buying Chinese stuff is pretty laughable.

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Downloads
    Uploads

I bought a brand new mini excavator from a well known company. I thought going with a big name brand would be a safe bet for any parts and backup service. Not so when you are dealing with an Australian distributor.

A traffic accident resulted in major damage to the excavator. I put it in the dealer for repairs and the days started to tick by. After a week I called to ask on the progress and they said waiting on parts. Anyway this went on and on until after six weeks of NOTHING happening, I was literally screaming down the phone at the manager. I had been told there are no spare parts ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD for this latest model machine.

Anyway after me turning into a complete desperate headcase and screaming down the phone, the manager submitted and said they had a few new machines wrapped up in plastic and he'd take the parts out of them for an additional cost of $400. I did nothing but scream a lot more at him, saying spare parts should be available for latest model machines.

After 6.5 weeks I got my excavator back after paying $9000 for the repair. After a couple of months the very repair they did was completely stuffed up. Basically the problem came from bolts that had came loose on the new hydraulic motor. Upon further inspection I found the allen head bolts that held the motor in place had round indentations in the flats of the allen head. It seems the "technician" who installed the motor had used an undersized ball end allen key, no doubt due to the difficult access in these small machines. I'd say he tightened the bolt until this round head allen key slipped, and left it at that.

To cut a long story short, the dealer accepted no responsibility, and made up some stupid pathetic reason to say I'd caused the problem (to cut a long story short, the dealer said I'd been using contaminated grease LOL). They were going to give me a written report of their "findings", but I was stupid enough to threaten them with a lawyer, and then they wouldn't give me any written report, only a verbal one. Of course they wanted the option to change their story and not have anything in black and white.

The dealer would not even meet me half way and supply just the parts. I ended up buying the parts myself from their spare parts dept. (oh, wait, previously they'd told me there were no spare parts anywhere in the world........................) and did the repair all over again in my garage. This was a big job and involved separating the top of the excavator from the undercarriage. As a backyard guy, I did the whole job in 4 days and the repair lasted 7 years of hard use until it basically wore out. Then I did it all over again LOL.

I came to Australia wearing my heart on my sleeve, and I was a very trusting person. I can assure you my experiences here have turned me into the opposite. When you find a trustworthy and fair company here, treat them well, they seem to be in short supply.

Downloads
    Uploads

Beefy,
    You are right, there are some trustworthy company's here but they are very far and few apart and yes when you find one treat them well. Now a days I just import 90% of what I need from all over the world. I can get it here faster and cheaper than buying it local.

Downloads
    Uploads

I bought Chinese on recommendation of a friend. Now 3 years on and it is still going well. The particular machine I bought is an upgraded 6040 heavy duty router with 5th axis and parallel port connection. I have had to make minor changes to some of the parts as they are not machined correctly. Mainly top hat style spacers that are machine eccentrically and bind up the ball screws. I have flipped over the alloy extrusion bed so that the slots are now even across the bed. The information provided for Mach3 was incorrect but this is not my first play with cnc machines so it was relatively simple to change the settings and have it working. I got curious with the array of plugs in the rear of the controller so took a peak. On inspection I found that besides the spaghetti junction of wiring this controller is wired for mach control of the spindle, limit switches and tool height setting. None of which was ever mentioned. To this day I have never been able to persuade the seller to provide the pin allocations and setting for these. I e-mailed my request every week until recently when I finally was asked for a photograph. I set one of the control wiring and pointed out that it is in fact wired for these things to operate so what are the settings. Two more weeks and no reply, it must be time to e-mail them again! Fortunately the 4 axis work and work well. I have burnt out 1 water pump which I find was too small a capacity for the spindle so have installed a larger pump which has been working well. I have a 65mm 1.5Kwh spindle with nema 23 290 oz steppers. There are no stepper drivers in this box and I cannot tell what the BOB actually is. After running continually for 6 hours the steppers get fairly hot as does the spindle coolant. I have installed two 3 fan radiators for cooling. One for the spindle and one with separate pump for the 3 stepper motors. I know the stepper motors will take the high temperature they are generating but what the H I cooled them all. I now can run all day below 24C max. When I bought the machine I did so with the belief the wiring would be rubbish. Well after 3 years not a fault with the wiring. I set myself up with spare control system and all the electrics in case it was a dud Chinese machine and as yet have not required any of it.
    Would I buy this model again, yes it works and is heavy enough to be pushed at times with out complaint. interestingly my friend has had some troubles with his machine over the time he has had it. I can't be sure if it is old age, computer or cnc machine that have caused the problems. He has been through 2 stepper drivers and 1 BoB and currently the 4th axis driver has failed. A year ago he purchased a second machine with USB connection and operating spindle, limits, and tool height with a additional hand set ready to run. A year and 2 weeks and still no help from the seller. I was out there last week playing with it and finally the thing burst into life. It had no output settings with everything turned off. I turned them all on which obviously was the action needed. Bearing in mind this was supposed to have been all set up with the USB plug-in supplied from the seller. I'm thankful I'm happy I opted for the upgraded and heavy duty machine but have to say of all 3 machines the wiring is proving to be fine. I have found more trouble finding a second XP computer that will drive the cnc's than anything the machine has done. I recently upgraded to a Warp9 ESS card to get around the XP problem. I have a Chinese knock off usb adapter dongle which works the axis only with some peculiar setting requirements but at a pinch it does the 4 axis and will get me out of S street when it happens with the XP.
    So what do I think of the Chinese machines, not too bad depending on which one you buy. It was delivered from China to NZ in my workshop in 4 days. A feat I still don't understand. All up with customs and all the import costs I landed it for $5000.00 NZ at least half the price here of lessor quality smaller machines on the domestic market. When I switch over to the Warp9 system I'm slowly building I should have a cnc controlled with Mach3 operating all the extra features I don't at present. With my luck the seller will send me the missing setting just as I switch over to my new system! We hear complaints of imports not paying the GST here. BS,I paid mine and still saved myself at least $5000.00 on the deal. I hear the same gripes in Aussie but the reality is local re-sellers are buying at the same prices I pay, not a a trade discounted price as they should be. I have already tackled my seller and got a positive to a re-seller discount on machines I buy to on sell. I have decided not to do this as I have had to retire suddenly, but it is there for the asking. Buying through Aliexpress at least your money is safe until you sign it off. Don't rely one any ones help but your own and you won't go far wrong. There are people out in the cnc related forums that will try to help so you are not totally on your own.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Chopper 13

Where in NZ are you located?

Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Klausm2,
    Wellington.
    Regards

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ahhh ok I am in Whakatane

Downloads
    Uploads

I am an Australian living in China for the past fourteen years. I run a small business here and have fallen on some despicable business people who cannot be trusted.

I guess this happens in all countries but I see and read a lot more about Chinese poor business antics, maybe because China is exporting a lot more these days as compared with 15 years ago.

However, I also see the other side, where the Chinese are trying their best to overcome these perceived problems, which are sometimes reality.

I would suggest that you do your research and find a suitable company with good after sales support.

Warranty is always a question, and I find that the warranty extends to the 20 – 20….20 feet or 20 minutes….whichever is shorter. However in saying this, generally the supplier will supply replacement parts at their cost, but you have to pay for the freight back to China and the freight from China at your cost.

So is it better to buy local or overseas,,,,, well in my opinion,,,, it’s an individual’s choice.

We have fallen into a trap in Australia, that we are mainly relying on overseas manufacturing now, and the overseas quality, in my opinion, is nowhere near as good as Australia’s, currently.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My 3020 CNC router turned out to be a solid little machine but I discarded the power supply. It worked, but very poorly. I built a liner (non-switching) power supply and motor driver for less than $150 and turned it into quite a nice little machine. My biggest complaint is the poor Chinese to English translation. In a lot of cases I had no Idea what they were trying to say because the translation was just a lot of gibberish. Asking questions was just as bad because it seemed they had no idea what I was asking. I would invariably get a copy of the original instruction that I couldn't understand in the first place. I also added an off line controller which works very well but I had the same communication problems.
    I don't know about other countries, but for the U.S. market, they need to hire better English translators and proof readers(LOL).

Downloads
    Uploads

I suspect it is not a case of the Chinese not understanding as much as not wanting to understand. I found I could provoke a response with the same email once a week every week until they answered. I as yet haven't gotten the information I asked for and will still e-mail every week until I'm blocked or they respond with an appropriate answer. Meantime I'm working on a work around for the "black box" controller and something better than an XP computer to give me some control over what equipment I use by knowing what I have and just not a "black box" of magic that works and by the law of averages will fail me at some time. The only way to rationalise the way the Chinese work is to consider what they must earn, would I give a damn on some of their wages!

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a 6040 from china, its not missed a beat to date. The only thing I dont like about it is the fact it did not come with limit switches. One day I will pull my finger out and install some.

I also manufacture in china, and I can assure you that the chinese can and do build quality that will far surpass most stuff you can buy. Just depends who makes it and how much you spend. If you go with the cheapest manufacturer you will probably get crap. Spend a bit more you get quality that is still cheaper than anything built in the west.

Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=Pearo;2214750

I also manufacture in china, and I can assure you that the chinese can and do build quality that will far surpass most stuff you can buy. Just depends who makes it and how much you spend. If you go with the cheapest manufacturer you will probably get crap. Spend a bit more you get quality that is still cheaper than anything built in the west.[/QUOTE]

That is so True.