How much does an average machinist make? - Page 5

View Poll Results: How much do you make an hour (CNC only, no manual machinists)

Voters
995. You may not vote on this poll
  • up to $17

161 16.18%
  • $18

71 7.14%
  • $19

50 5.03%
  • $20

111 11.16%
  • $21

50 5.03%
  • $22 and over

552 55.48%
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: How much does an average machinist make?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
    Do you know how much plumbers make? Registered Nurses? Tile Setters? And I've never seen any of them have to buy a new Interapid indicator, or new Mitutoyo Mic. Thanks for letting me vent.
    I know 4 brothers. 2 are retired airline pilots & 2 are retired plumbers. One of the retired pilots is on a pension of $153K/year & lives in a beachfront house in Malibu. The 2 retired plumbers refer to him as the poor one....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unlike most of those posting I am the shop owner. I hear a lot of discontent with your managers and owners of the shops that you are currently at. As a little insight. Skill is obviously the driving force in how I compensate, but what I like as much as skill is hustle. When I have jobs backed up (like now) I want to see people moving to get them out the door. I am in the shop next to my guys fixing machines, running parts, deburing, and packing. I would rather go out in the shop and sweep up or debur parts than pay someone $22 an hour to do it.
    By the way I am hiring. If you have some hustle, can show up everyday, and have a little skill mixed in than e-mail me and I will make you a salary offer as well as assist with relocating if needed. Located in S. Jersey (its not the same state as N. Jersey)

John jpetyan@hp-machine.com

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm-Sir Winston Churchill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default I'll pay 75k for the right person.

Quote Originally Posted by Janos View Post
    I wonder what the avg. is here in sunny Florida? If there are any ppl that want to chime in. I have thought pretty hard about moving but my shop is more dependant on me going to the track with a sharp pencil and making products that the racing community feels that they "Gotta Have!!" So hopefully with a bit of luck I should have a product line of my own and not require a "weakly" paycheck to keep my head above water.

Thanks for the word

John

I'll pay 75k for the right person.

Thanks,

Edwyn Pyron
    Custom Instruments, LLC
    1040 West Industrial Ave
    Suite 5
    Boynton Beach, FL 33426
    Phone: 561-735-9971
    Cell: 561-436-7280
    Fax: 561-828-2481
    Email: ed@ci-global.com
    Web: www.ci-global.com

ISO 9001:2000 Certified & FDA Registered

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by edwyn View Post

Thanks,

Edwyn Pyron
    Custom Instruments, LLC
    1040 West Industrial Ave
    Suite 5
    Boynton Beach, FL 33426

What do you consider the right person? I have a A.A. in mechanical engineering and going for a B.A. and have been machining for about the past 4 years manual and some CNC. I have also know CAD/CAM..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't read this entire thread since it's so massive but I would like to kick in here. In my area (Charlotte NC) A top notch machinist/programmer can make a max of around $22 an hour and thats the absolute max. The average lands between $17-20. I say machinist/programmer because you can't have a good programmer who isn't a good machinist I don't care what anybody says. How can you tell a computer how to do something you can't do? It's like a newborn coaching a marathon runner.

I lived in Canada for a couple years and the wages were several dollars higher however the cost of living offset that significantly. Which is why I'm back in good ol' NC. I should also add that we have no union here and I hope we never do since they lower the bar in terms of skilled people and raise the cost of whatever they produce.

I hope nobody takes offense to this post but I lived these realities I didn't read them on my google news this morning.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Originally Posted by edwyn View Post

Thanks,

Edwyn Pyron
    Custom Instruments, LLC
    1040 West Industrial Ave
    Suite 5
    Boynton Beach, FL 33426

I would take you up on that but I don't know if I could afford that much of a cut in pay.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fatal-exception View Post
    Wow, what a big ***** and boo-hoo thread.

I don't agree with the 'never spend your own money' philosophy. Why borrow when you don't have to? I've grown this business from using a router and templates, to a high tech small shop capable of virtually anything. If I need to go an buy a hass vmc tomorrow, I might have some borrowing issues, but till that day, I will grow as the money comes in. Besides, if you use your own money, you don't need to have such a regimented business plan.

The day I need to buy that hass, there will be people waiting in line to lend me the money because they know how far I've come on my own funds and how dedicated I am to my business.

Paul
    BS

if your not using credit ,your not recognized period .the only one who will be standing in line will be you ,
    even if you have the cash put it on your cards and pay it out before you have to pay any premiums ,this will establish the credit rating you will need to present to the bank

if i wanted a new hass i could drop it on my line of credit without blinking an eye , no questions asked ,if i wanted two then i would simply tell the bank to up the limit ,which i know they will because ive recently declined from them uping the limit

established credit is important

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Downloads
    Uploads

I see a lot of people complaining about working for someone else. Have any of you considered self employment part time to use your own skills for you??

Personally this the route I took and it works. Yes you wind up spending a lot of time working, but like i was told at a young age, "It isn't work if you love what your doing".

$75K a year??????Hmmmmmmm........ To work one job for 60 hours a week. That's pretty good. It might be possible to be persuaded to move from the Rotten Apple, LOL.

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I interviewed for a job a month and a half ago.......I was asking 20.00/hr to start.

Here, where you start....you stay for a while.

I did not get a call back for 4 weeks. It turns out the guys asking for less money, one did not pass the drug test, and the other did not pass the background check.

When I went back for my second interview 4 weeks later, the boss and I laughed about how hard it is to find qualified applicants. Monday is my first day.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't know because I'm not your "average" guy!
    right now I'm just west of 26 an hour but I have not had a raise in 2 years so it will be west of 27 very soon

Be carefull what you wish for, you might get it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello from Scotland,
    May interest anyone to know that in Aberdeen wages are between ÂŁ14.00 if you know your stuff, to ÂŁ18.00 if you are part robot. Glasgow is ÂŁ10.00 to ÂŁ13.00 on the same scale. Pretty shocking difference for the sake of a couple of hundred miles.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wages

I've been working for the same co. for 24years, I had never ran a mill before and only ran a lathe in high school shop class.
    The co. bought our first knee mill 2 years after I started there, now we have 3 manual knee mills ,1 cnc knee mill, 1 cnc bed mill and 3 lathes. I'm self taught and make a little over $ 30.00 an hour but I design- manufacture the parts- assemble and wire, and program machines to assemble our products. So I guess I earn it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

machinist's ought to make more than what the average salary is right now!!!
    i myself am sicken by the salaries we make and the occupation we keep.
    why is it other industries make off with paying workers more and keep better benefits.
    not to mention job security and respect. who respects us? for what we have to do everyday. we deal with stress and having to see the job from begining to end with not mistakes and careful planing or programing. put up with whole bunch of variables of job related hazards and at the end of the day what do we have a lousy paycheck compared to the monkeys in construction industries. my brother is a iron worker 27/ hour with union benefits and a annuity unbelieable. he has no education like i have or skills yet my brother makes that salary i love my brother but still no incentive to have me think about being a construction monkey.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a degree in Industrial Engineering with a focus is CAD/CAm, Design etc. When asked today what field I would recommend someone going to school for I would say something Medical all the way. We are about to be up to our asses in old people and they can't ship them overseas like they are the manufacturing jobs. China and India have just begun to tap their billions of workers more of this type of work will be moving out over the time I am afraid.

Not to say there will not be jobs in the future but they will have to be high tech positions doing specialized processes.

I have never used my degree to do work with CAD/CAM daily as a job. When I finished school I knew enough about computers and networking to get in the door at a Pharmaceutical Plant and worked my way into another position after that making more than any starting out job I could have found in those fields. But the degree is always there and its versitile.

Good luck all its rough these days, hopefully we will all see the light and stop the bleeding before we are all bone dry.

Bo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This has to be the worst (or one of them) paying skilled trade. Look at what plumbers and electricians make compared to machinists (or construction, carpenters, etc...). To any young people reading this thread, stay away from the machining trade!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

In my area the avg machinists makes anywhere from $12-18/hr depending on the shop and/or machine. Ten years ago the wages were much higher but with the downturn in the automobile sector the wages have dropped drastically. Basically if you want a job they only call back the ones who are in the "willing to work the cheapest" resume pile.

At the local college where I live there were only 2 students enrolled for their machinist course. Pretty bad considering their are close to 150 mold/die shops within the local area. Pretty soon those "help wanted" ads will only be replied to by inexperienced workers who cannot afford to buy any of their own tools.

Many machinist I have worked with throughout the years have jumped ship and found work in other fields of employment that pay equal salary. The days of mass lay offs & then a recall, expecting former employees to come back are at a end. When wages for highly skilled labor is comparable to that of a Tow Truck Operator/ Hot Dog Vendor, shortened deliver dates and the overall stress of getting the job done faster & cheaper - one begins to ask them self why they are bothering to remain in a industry thats dieing with the middle-class.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you think it is hard for guys to make a decent living any more as as CNC Machinist...try being a female in this business.

BTW - If anyone is looking for a highly qualified CNC Machinist with almost 20 years of experience I am looking for a new job. I can relocate if necessary for the right pay and location. Some place warm where wages stay up with the cost of living would be nice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Corndog67 again. I've got an update. I moved away from the Aerospace/Aircraft shop, where the pay seemed to be getting stagnant, and work in a shop making parts for the Top Fuel Drag Racing industry. I'm running a couple of 25 year old Shizuoka's, and some big ole Cincinatti Lancers. And one strange old Bostomatic 5 axis, which, when it works, is kind of neat, in a funky way. At about a 25% increase in pay. So I'm feeling a bit better about wages.

I also bought a house here in Santa Maria, CA, which has had a drop in housing prices of about 40%, something that I never thought I would be able to afford. Thank god for foreclosures.

And I think the sky is the limit, as far as working for these guys goes. The parts are mostly 60 and 70 series aluminum, with a smattering of titanium. I'm hopefully going to start doing more programming, and I haven't seen a process control sheet for 6 months. So, sometimes things change when you least expect it, and I also went from a 35 mile commute, to a 7 mile commute, which is about $10 a week on the motorcycle.

I'm feeling quite a bit better about machining, and I think I'm going to stay put for quite a while.

Later, Robert

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I live in northern California,shop wages vary alot here.Average here id say is between 15-25 an hour for machinists,button pushers make around 8-13 depending on skill. Ive been in the trade for eleven years and am up to about 20 bucks an hour.Not bad for a guy in his early thirties.Of course i'd love too make more,but with the current economy here and in the US in general most shops are kinda slow,but my shop has been very busy. Im pretty lucky that my dad and grandfather were machinists too so I have seen and used alot of equip that some other youger folks will probably not see in a longtime.

Downloads
    Uploads

All the post on here seem to bad mouth the manufacturing sector to say that were are cheap and will not hire the more expensive but when I was looking for a great setup person to set machine and direct employees on jobs and proper loading I couldn't find one even wanting to pay 25.00 to 30.00 an hour it took month to find some one and they then only asked for 19.00 an hour so I would have blame the employees for driving down the wage. not the employer

Kyle my.02
    minnesota

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast