How much does an average machinist make? - Page 27

View Poll Results: How much do you make an hour (CNC only, no manual machinists)

Voters
987. You may not vote on this poll
  • up to $17

160 16.21%
  • $18

70 7.09%
  • $19

50 5.07%
  • $20

111 11.25%
  • $21

49 4.96%
  • $22 and over

547 55.42%
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1724252627

Thread: How much does an average machinist make?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can thank a guy named Joe Hockey for that, the support industry for the car companies used to train at least 100 fitters a year in the 90's and 2000's.
    As you are well aware Ian, we lost all of that in Australia.

Look at the United Kingdom for our future, high tech small workshops.

Wisdom results from foolishness!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How much does an average machinist make?

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Well the fitting trade must be a dying one or at least nobody is going into it as an occupation......couple of guys I hung out with couldn't get a fitter to service their needs for the love of money......one guy they hired by the hour charged $150 an hour......only when he had the time or was back in the country.
    I'm not a qualified fitter but am employed in a maintenance fitter role in a multi-million dollar company. I was extremely happy to get this position.

I started full of enthusiasm but now if I could get something better (not easy when you don't have the paper) I'd leave in a heartbeat. Here in Australia, there seems so much bullcrap and stupidity which stifles doing a job properly. People with degrees implementing ridiculous systems for "record keeping" and "proof" of productivity.

The plant I work at is massive with a huge variety of equipment. They get a new fitter in, give no training, yet expect "productiveness" for the duration of the shift. This "productiveness" must be proven by the fitter entering in software, what they did. and when they did it each day. We're on call with a radio the entire shift and are often running around like mad men trying to keep up answering all the calls. Plus we have to do a list of outstanding jobs when we come on shift. Plus we get a bunch of maintenance jobs thrown at us. When we don't get the maintenance jobs done because we were flat out doing all the other stuff, we get interrogated. The smart but lazy guys do well in this company, they know how to work the system and "pass jobs on". Then they get their preventive maintenance jobs done. The ones who work their ass off and try and get all the outstanding jobs done, don't get their PMs done, then get into trouble. There's no real supervision where all the guys are watched / monitored.

Regarding this computer logging to prove our "productiveness" I asked about logging time for learning / studying all this equipment. When a plant is shutdown on $50K / hr that is not the time to learn how something works. Common sense would say you learn it beforehand so that you know how to fix it when it stuffs up, but no, studying is not classed as productiveness. So now all I think is how to justify my existence in the computer software, instead of focusing on how to learn the gear and become a good fitter.

When I did my apprenticeship back in the UK things were more practical. When I worked at new companies they trained you. I even did a whole 1 week course on air conditioning and refrigeration. Now maintenance departments are controlled by degree holding pen pushers who think they can make everything work with some software, and maintenance staff are treated more like a liability than an asset. We're supposed to be there for maintenance, repair, and emergency breakdown, yet we're treated more like a production machine.

Heck, we haven't even got a small lathe and mill (no doubt an expense, rather than an asset), and are often trying to scrounge parts for pressing bearings, etc. I got so frustrated I even machined up a bunch of tools on my lathe at home and took them to work. I also carry my own tools in each day because of lack of tooling at work.

Don't know if other companies run like this, but if they do, who want's to go into this trade.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hmmmm…...pedantic nit pickers who like keeping records are a pain in the rump...…..luckily this wasn't a scenario in my day, but then again the machinery we were working on (30 years ago) was a lot different to today's stuff.

If I was starting over today this would be the last trade to think about for an occupation......I laugh when I hear the word fitter as now all they are are service handy men.....bolt on mechanics....six months experience and their highly qualified.

It would be very true to say that if you remove and fit the same parts enough times you can be an expert.....just don't change the specification.

It's also very true that if a component fails on a device then it's quicker and cheaper to replace it than repair it, so who needs someone who can repair it when all you want is to get the damn thing working again.

Service men are worth their weight in gold when it comes to getting something back on stream again quickly and knowing what to do.

If a service man was my destiny I'd rather drive a truck.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good one

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1724252627