How much does an average machinist make? - Page 2

View Poll Results: How much do you make an hour (CNC only, no manual machinists)

Voters
987. You may not vote on this poll
  • up to $17

160 16.21%
  • $18

70 7.09%
  • $19

50 5.07%
  • $20

111 11.25%
  • $21

49 4.96%
  • $22 and over

547 55.42%
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: How much does an average machinist make?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I work in a samll town in a machine shop that has been in the industry for over 50 years and I make less than 15$ per hour, and I am a setup person responsible for programs and 14 cnc machines, mostly mroi seiki ,and 3 fanuc robo-drills

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all, one of the biggest problems with jobs and money is they rarely exist in the same place.
    No matter how skilled or experianced you are, if no one has the work you'll go broke just looking for it.
    In a low job area, it would be suicidal to set up on your own and then have to try and find work just to be able to turn the lights on.
    Most people I know prefer to live in the country away from the grimy city, but where is the work?
    I have always lived in the suburbs of various large cities and on average travelled 10miles to work.
    As an indentured fitter & turner I would have to be a nut case to waste my skills on a low wage low job area just because I liked the scenery, and no employer goes to areas where there is a workforce/skill vacuum.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

the range here at this point of time is 25 - 35 /hr for a decent machinist ,and its hard to find decent machinists because companies are paying high to keep or get guys in the door ,the industry can t keep up to the demand for workers ,
    lets hope it stays that way

Downloads
    Uploads

'sright Dert, if you're running a company, then the most expensive commodity you can have is a bum worker.
    He'll cost you more in crap work output and if the unions are backing him it'll be hard to give him the elbow.
    When you get a bloke that puts it out and knows the ropes, then it's in your own interest to hang on to him.
    However when the work falls off, what's the first thing to go? It's some of the work force.
    I never did owe much to loyalty when it came to jobs. Pay up or get out, works on both sides.
    My father gave me some good advice,"If they're paying two bob more down the road, guess where I'm going?"
    One bit of advice I would give to anyone taking the long road to sweat blood grime and fatigue, and that is, never take second best, always chase the money and don't love the boss. Before they screw the lid of your box down you'll say "Told you so"
    Ian
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

In Seattle and southwards, the 1st tier (under 4 or 5 years) is $15-$17 and the 2nd tier (more than 4/5) is $17/$18 to $22/$23...few exceptions on either end of scale..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You get about 20$/hr and you complaining? Come in Europe and try to work/and live here.......Good machinists makes about 8$/hr.....
    But if you own a workshop and machines....by us you can make about 40-50€/hr and more (its depend on agreement)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jamesrairdon View Post
    If you want more money, you're going to have to reach for it. Most employers forget about the guys working for them after they've been there for a while, especially if you're still doing the same job. Don't get comfortable! Keep learning. Keep growing. Work yourself out of your present job. Train your replacement. Never get hung up on job security, it doesn't exist. A rudder on a ship that's not moving is perfectly useless. If you're not moving, you won't be able to change direction when, not if, you need to.

Some of the best advise I have read on this board. Young guys, take heed of this advise, you will be glad when you get older.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    the range here at this point of time is 25 - 35 /hr for a decent machinist ,and its hard to find decent machinists because companies are paying high to keep or get guys in the door ,the industry can t keep up to the demand for workers ,
    lets hope it stays that way
    Is that those Canadian dollars with the Queen on them.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by STS_John View Post
    Is that those Canadian dollars with the Queen on them.
    No, on the five dollar bill, Sir Wilfred Laurier on one side and a picture of children playing hockey, skating and riding a toboggan on the other. I am too poor to have anything bigger than a five dollar bill so I will leave it up to the well paid Canadians to report on larger bills.

Downloads
    Uploads

The best advice I could give any young bloke contemplating the engineering industry for a career is to get your hands dirty early on and GET some further education or whatever it takes to learn the advanced engineering principles, so that when you're ready for that office job in a technical establisment, you'll know what you're talking about.
    I don't know how many people I've come up against who have the "book learning" skills but have never cut metal.
    Ian.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Janos View Post
    I wonder what the avg. is here in sunny Florida? If there are any ppl that want to chime in. I have thought pretty hard about moving but my shop is more dependant on me going to the track with a sharp pencil and making products that the racing community feels that they "Gotta Have!!" So hopefully with a bit of luck I should have a product line of my own and not require a "weakly" paycheck to keep my head above water.

Thanks for the word

John
    According to our HR department (florida company), we are overpaid. Machinists in my shop make between 16-25 bucks per hour. great benefits and working conditions, but here in North Florida, we have an abundance of Navy retirees willing to work for noThing just to supplement retirement pay. I'm lucky, because most of the smaller shops in town pay way less with way less benni's. Hey..it pays the bills and leave some left for bait!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi all, one thing for sure, don't compete with someone who wants to give it away.
    The law of the jungle soon weeds out overfeeding the hard way.
    I reckon it would be totally impractical to try and get a job in a community that was bursting at the seams with cheap skilled labour.
    In this situation you would profit more by setting up in business and employing the cheap labour.
    moral:- never sell on a falling dollar.
    Ian.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast