Australia Importing a cnc lathe from China

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Importing a cnc lathe from China

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Importing a cnc lathe from China

Hi,
    Just thought I'd share my experience importing a cnc lathe from China. I'm feeling pretty good tonight, I've just got it running for the first time, and I'm quite happy with it so far.

A little bit about me and why I wanted a cnc lathe. I'm a couple years away from retiring from my current job, and I'm in the process of setting up a home workshop where I can make bits for the hotrod I want to build. I want my workshop set up before I retire, basically so I don't expire from the shock of not working. I'm an electrical fitter by trade, and I've studied and worked in electrical engineering, and I now work in IT. The most fun I've had so far was in the machine shop were I first started work, I quite often wish I was back there.

I've always enjoyed making and fixing things, and I've always been fascinated by cnc machines. I did a TAFE course about 20 years back on programming them, and made a few things, I never thought I'd be able to own my own machines.

So, I decided I wanted a cnc lathe, cnc milling machine, and a cnc plasma cutter, a pullmax, and a few other bits and pieces.

I found a pullmax locally for a good price, but it has no tooling, I'm hoping I can make my own.

Then I ordered a skyfire cnc machine, you can read about that in another thread here on cnc zone.

And now the lathe. The size of machine I am after is as big as you can go on a residential power supply.

I looked at some second hand machines, and some new machines available locally, they were either too big or too small, or way out of my price range. So I started looking at new Chinese flat bed lathes, and I settled on a CK6136A-1 from Taian Crystal http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...084443200.html

I know I'm buying at the bottom end of the price range, but the way I look at it I'll have a basic cnc lathe, and I'm happy to fix and maintain it without local support.

My first attempt at importing something myself did not work out well, but in this case, dealing with the factory direct was a very pleasant experience, good communication, things happened when they said they would. I used an Australian import company, ICAL to ship it from the port in China to Australia, and handle all the customs clearance etc, and I found them to be very helpful as well.

There was a problem with the crate getting broken and some damage to the lathe when it was unloaded, but nothing serious. The factory has replaced a part that was damaged free of change, even though I don't believe they were at fault. They have supplied me with wiring diagrams when I asked, so I'm very happy with how they have looked after me.

Now I have to get it into it's final position and get it wired in properly, then start making stuff !!

John

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Importing a cnc lathe from China-img_20140913_083140-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Importing a cnc lathe from China

Fantastic looking buy John, and it looks very well made, be interested to see videos when it's up and running.

Did your import taxes and fees come to much? When I got my 6090 CNC machine they added around $2000 extra for me, for a machine that cost me less than $3000 it was a killer.

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John,

That is a beast! - compared to the table top lathes.. -)

Looking forward to see it working when you have it installed in your shop.

Keep posting your progress!

Cheers - Ard

Downloads
    Uploads

John,

I'm very interested in seeing many pictures of the machine

Downloads
    Uploads

Well done John. I would also like to see a video of your machine running and a quick walk around.

Cheers,
    Chich

Downloads
    Uploads

John,
    I plan to purchase similar machine. Do you buy only the machine w/o controller? What controller you will install? How much is the price of machine only? Let me know.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post

Did your import taxes and fees come to much? When I got my 6090 CNC machine they added around $2000 extra for me, for a machine that cost me less than $3000 it was a killer.

cheers, Ian
    Hi Ian, the total cost to get it to a freight depot on the central coast was just over $2900. This included 10% GST on the original purchase price and the shipping costs, but there was no import tax. It cost me a bit more to get it home, $250 to hire a 3 ton flat bed truck, and $230 to get an all terrain forklift to come and get it off the truck.

I'll post some videos soon

regards,

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    John,
    I plan to purchase similar machine. Do you buy only the machine w/o controller? What controller you will install? How much is the price of machine only? Let me know.
    Hi Asuratman, the machine has a GSK 928TD-L controller, just messing about with it last night it seems pretty good. The machine was USD$9050

I'm not sure what happened to the link above but I'll try again http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...084443200.html

regards,

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, the link doesn't seem to work, so if you go to alibaba.com and search for 'cnc lathe crystal CK6136A-1 ' it's the first one in the list

Downloads
    Uploads

That's not a bad price at all I would think. It does just kinda highlight how screwed over we are locally in OZ when it comes to this kind of machinery. Although I'd hate to think what it would go for at Hare & Forbes if they started bringing them in.

What a ripper though, you must be chomping to start cutting!

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John,
    Does the controller work in inch and metric? Is that USD9050, price ex work or price in Australia. I will contact them soon to get quote. Thanks for info.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Ian,
    The price is good, but I would not sell it as is on the Australian market, it needs a bit of work to the electrical to comply with local rules. The machine appears to be good where it needs to be, but the quality of finish on it is not what you would expect to see on a Hare & Forbes machine, its price is lower for a reason. Having said that, I'm very happy with it, it is what I expected it to be.

I'm completely on my own with this, the factory can't supply any local help if things go wrong, it's a parts warranty only, and the parts are on the other side of the world. So all the support you would get from a company like Hare & Forbes is missing. I'm happy with that as I can usually fix most things myself, and it's not working in a production shop, it's just a hobby. If it breaks down and it takes four weeks to find the problem myself and get the parts, it's not a problem to me.

I am itching to start using it, but it will be a while yet,

regards,

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    Hi John,
    Does the controller work in inch and metric? Is that USD9050, price ex work or price in Australia. I will contact them soon to get quote. Thanks for info.
    According to the manual, yes, it has a parameter setting to switch between metric and inch. I haven't tried it myself though, will check it for you tomorrow. USD$9050 was delivered to the boat in China price. Please note that the price changes depending on how you configure it, so use my price as a rough guide only.

regards,
    John

Downloads
    Uploads

Video of the spindle running, it sounds like music to me

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi John,

I'm impressed!!

A couple of questions:

1. I note from the suppliers website that power is 380V. Is yours 3 Phase 415V, or are you using a 415 to 380V stepdown transformer?

2. 60mm through Spindle bore?

3. How do you like the GSK Controller?

Regards

Chrisjh777

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Chrisjh777,

Its using a step down transformer, it was included in the price, and it's very well made. It's case is so strong in fact, you can stick the fork tines under it, and lift the entire weight of the lathe with it...

Importing a cnc lathe from China-transformer-jpg

I haven't checked the exact size of the spindle bore, but it's big

I like it so far, I don't really have any previous experience to compare it with, but it seems to work well and make sense so far. I've run a sample program with thread cutting in it, just in air at the moment, it ran fine.

I'll post some more about it when I get it into its final position, but so far I'm very happy with it for the money.

regards,

John

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey John,

In a very similar situation to you, only over here in the US. Wondering how this lathe turned out for you and if you have had any issues with it. I am really considering a lathe from Taian Crystal right now and would love to hear how this one went over for you.

Thanks

Shawn

Downloads
    Uploads

the quality of finish on it is not what you would expect to see on a Hare & Forbes machine,
    Having bought several small items from H&F in the past, I have to say I am not a real believer in their company. Some of the stuff was very poor in quality, and they were not inclined to fix it - actually, they never bothered even replying to me.

On the other hand, I have to say that some Chinese companies have given me excellent service. Some of them seem really concerned about keeping the customer happy.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Shawn and Roger,
    I now have the lathe in place and hooked up. I've run a sample program that came with it and cut a widget or two, and I'm still very happy with it. I'm very impressed with the surface finish that I was able to get on the part. I haven't had the time yet to test how repeatable it is, or set up the rest of the tooling I've got. I'm working on my first program to cut a ball stud, should give it a good work out, maybe this weekend, probably next.

My comment about the level of finish is more about the paintwork than anything else, though even that is growing on me as I gave it a good clean and it came up a lot better than first impression..

As far as service goes, I'm very impressed with their service, they have been very helpful.

Years ago I learn't how to program and run a cnc lathe on an Okuma, this machine is not in that class by any means but it is very good value for money and so far it has impressed me.

regards,

John

Downloads
    Uploads

Years ago I learn't how to program and run a cnc lathe on an Okuma, this machine is not in that class by any means
    But with a bit of practice, plus learning how to handle it's limits, you might find it just as good for what you want.

Remind me - ball screw or acme for X & Z?

Cheers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast