CNC BBQ - Cairns,Australia (June11 2011) (More than $2000 of door prizes)

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CNC BBQ - Cairns,Australia (June11 2011) (More than $2000 of door prizes)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC BBQ - Cairns,Australia (June11 2011) (More than $2000 of door prizes)

OK, I have been inspired by the success of the CNC BBQ's our southern counterparts have been holding and have been fortunate enough to be able to attend one of them. Now I am going to organise one for the northern region. Our first one will most likely be small but will hopefully inspire more people to join in the fun.

I have talked to a couple of the other guys on the forum that live here (chich2 and babinda01) and we have come up with a format of sorts... :

A one day event, starting at my shed, at the moment I have one working CNC router, and am building a second cantilever design machine that will be finished by the BBQ date. Also I am retrofitting an old manual lathe with CNC control, no promises on this being going but at least I will be some way into the conversion.

I have several servo's lying around in the shed, I am going to put together a servo training display, this will consist of a hands on PID training board, basically you can tune the servo's, find out what oscillation means when doing so, "feel" the effects of correct tuning on a servo. All this with servo's bolted to a bench so there will be no expensive crashes

I will make a stepper display, I have several steppers (don't we all ) and will make a display that people can use various configuration programs (for Mach and EMC2) and configure a "machine" of some kind, basically a simple 3 axis machine, most likely a threaded rod beast with some kind of spindle. This will be a working machine designed to take the fear factor out of setting up a router. The idea is that if you can setup this up on the day (with some guidance) you will be able to re-create the same thing at your place.

The other guys that live here have very heavy machines that require cranes and such to move, so rather than them bringing them along, numbers permitting we will organise a shuttle bus to ferry everybody to their respective sheds, (5 minutes travel) basically a CNC tour of the north, lol. Amongst these are two Femco Durga CNC lathes, a vertical mill retrofitted by Chich2, and a large VMC (or two).

One of the guys is designing a router/plasma table that will be going by then, possibly being a five axis beast that should make for interesting video's. He plans to make these for the commercial market so that will interest cabinetmakers and the like I am sure.

I realise this is a while away but I have done it this way so if anybody from the southern parts of the country decide to make the journey they have a bit of warning, the timing means it is winter here, a blistering cold 23 degrees C during the day and a freezing 15 - 20 degrees C at night (slight bit of sarcasm there ) so conditions should be pleasant.

I will post more details as I get them, please post here if you plan (or wish) to attend.
    Cheers.

Russell.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11_GURlKpBM"]YouTube - ‪CNC BBQ Lucky Door Prizes‬‏[/nomedia]

To be in the prize draw you must register your intention of coming in this thread
    Our sponsor and prize donator list is..... (in random order)
    Artsoft Prize ...a mach3 licence
    Gearotic Prize... 3 x gearotic motion licences
    Vectric Prize.... a Cut 2d licence
    Homann Designs Prize.... assortment of electronic parts relating to CNC....yet to be determined
    GeckoDrive Prize.... a few gecko drives....yet to be determined
    Super PID.......Spindle speed control device.
    Ausxmods .....Loads of goodies

Our day may end up looking something like this...
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjw2ocUkRXw"]YouTube - ‪CNC BBQ MELBOURNE MAY 24 2008‬‏[/nomedia]

Get your name on the list.

Russell (Well obviously !!!)
    Ynneb (Benny)
    Owlsnest (James) - possibly bringing Mach3 converted engraver
    Cold Turkey (Dave)
    Dan85 (Dan)
    Chich2 ....... Ummmm ........ (Chich)
    Rodm1954 (Rod if you hadn't guessed)
    Greolt (Greg)
    Kiwiken
    Peter C
    BJO (Baxter)
    Widgedy (Tim)
    babinda01 (Andrew)
    Baj (Grant)
    Allen McFarlen
    Joevennix (Joe Venables)
    crackerfat1
    Bobsreturn
    Highheadspeed
    jim1949

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by ynneb; 06-08-2011 at 09:35 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh I almost forgot, the direct PCB printer also lives in my shed, we should be able to fire it up and make a circuit board or two.

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

You know what, I'm going to come to this.
    I havnt seen my brother in 10 years and he lives up your way.
    Why not kill two brids with a shotgun.

Being outside the square !!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome Benny, that is great news, not sure if you need the shotgun but feel free to bring anything you think is relevant

I haven't mentioned the BBQ side of things yet, I would expect a seafood theme, since we live so close to the reef, at a minimum expect coral trout and painted crayfish on the barbie, and depending on what's biting possibly red emperor and large mouth nannygai.

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have set the date, Saturday the 11th of June.

All welcome !

I may be having a senior moment but is it still possible to edit posts ? I was going to put the date in the title but can't seem to...been a long day

Cheers.

Russell.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi everybody, just a quick message to say that the BBQ is still on, I have had some PM's asking if the floods have affected anything but we are all good here.

I have a few things to get ready for the day but there is still some time, though it is running out fast ! (for me at least) The format is hopefully still mostly the same as mentioned, there may be changes but it is still to early to tell right now, I will keep everybody informed of any changes as they unfold.

I have had a few people PM me to say they are coming, this is great but also feel free to post on this thread if you plan to attend, we won't hold it against you if you don't manage to make it on the day but it does stir up interest if a few people say they are coming.

Cheers.

Russell.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by epineh View Post
    Hi everybody, just a quick message to say that the BBQ is still on, I have had some PM's asking if the floods have affected anything but we are all good here.

I have a few things to get ready for the day but there is still some time, though it is running out fast ! (for me at least) The format is hopefully still mostly the same as mentioned, there may be changes but it is still to early to tell right now, I will keep everybody informed of any changes as they unfold.

I have had a few people PM me to say they are coming, this is great but also feel free to post on this thread if you plan to attend, we won't hold it against you if you don't manage to make it on the day but it does stir up interest if a few people say they are coming.

Cheers.

Russell.
    Hi Russel
    I'm very interested in this didn't realise that there were any others in the area.
    I'm in Earlville Cairns.

Dont have a shed, my machine is in the carport (converting an Old Hsquare Engraver)

James

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi James, there are a couple of people around the area doing this kinda stuff, hopefully we can inspire a few others as well. I am actually in Babinda, pretty much a suburb of Cairns these days, I figured most people will know where Cairns is located, not so much Babinda, lol.

If I can help you with anything let me know, I can't promise I will be able to but I will try

Would be great to have you along to the BBQ, I don't know how portable your machine is but if you want to bring it along that would be terrific, even if it isn't finished or working it would be something for people to look at.

Cheers.

Russell.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Russel

I've had my machine up and running for quite a while now, so far only making clocks out of bamboo cutting boards.
    The only thing I could lift is the computer/control box as the machine needs at least three weight lifters to move it.
    I fitted all the computer, power supplies, stepper drivers in to one box.
    By the time of the BBQ I will have this rebuilt with the wiring a bit neater so will be able to show and tell.

The original control box was shot so converted the machine to use Mach3

James

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi James, sorry but I thought I replied to your last post, old age kicking in I think

I have thought of using those bamboo cutting boards, they are nicely dressed ready for routing !

I need to replace the PC on my machine as it has died, not enough hours in the day, also need to finish (start?) the second router so I can run that on the day as well, it is a little more serious than the first one I built (as seems to be the way).

Things are a little crazy busy right now after the cyclone but once things get back to normal I might drop in one weekend if that is OK with you.

Russell.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by epineh View Post
    Hi James, sorry but I thought I replied to your last post, old age kicking in I think

I have thought of using those bamboo cutting boards, they are nicely dressed ready for routing !

I need to replace the PC on my machine as it has died, not enough hours in the day, also need to finish (start?) the second router so I can run that on the day as well, it is a little more serious than the first one I built (as seems to be the way).

Things are a little crazy busy right now after the cyclone but once things get back to normal I might drop in one weekend if that is OK with you.

Russell.
    Hi Russel
    I've finaly got my carport back to normal (Sh*t everywhere ), Cutting bords are great but not all are finished flat. quite often there can be over a MM diference from one side to the other.

If you need any computer parts I have some older machines that are ideal for this hobby.

Give me a call if your up this way. also Im happy to do a little drive if you need anything I have.

James

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Signed up just to say I'd love to come. I live up the hill and am just about to order my first 3 axis machine, I've been bitten by the bug and already wanting to build a 5.

Might be able to help with the bus transfers as well, seeing as I have a 12 seater.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Gents id love to come along, no cnc experience at all as yet but im looking very seriously at buying a smallish 3/4 axis as i have parts i want to start making for a home business sort of thing, ive penciled it into my diary if its ok for me to attend(before you say yes realise im gonna pester everyone with questions) a bit about me? well i live in townsville and im a civil designer by trade and have been using various cad programs for 7-8 years now designing and building roads/carparks/airports and various other infrastructure. I have heaps of questions im dying to ask people!!! the only thing really holding me back is the unkown at the moment and possibly how loud the machine will be as i dont think my town house neighbours will appreaciate it hahaha. Is there anyone else in the townsville region i can annoy for the next few months with questions until the BBQ?

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi James, I think I have a working PC ready to go, but I will give you a yell if I get stuck. Right now I am waiting on parts to arrive for some of the bits and pieces I mentioned originally (PWM generator and Elm servo drives) and will post pics and vids of those once they are up and running.

Cold Turkey, nice to hear from you, the bus may be a great help on the day, there is another I had in mind locally but it looks like there is going to be a few people turn up to this on the day, maybe a case of the more buses the better Keep us informed on how the machine you ordered goes, it seems like we may have more people in the area getting into this stuff than any of us realized !

Dan, you are most welcome, the BBQ's are about information for everybody, from beginners to experienced everybody usually gets a lot from the day. I am sure there is at least one other person I know of that is in Townsville, I will have to backtrack a little through some posts to find him, once I do I will let you know. Questions are great, most of us welcome them, the hands on stuff is even better, with a bit of luck I will have both my machines running on the day, one is my first build, lets say it is a little agricultural, the other is the current work in progress, hopefully should provide some inspiration if it doesn't catch fire ... at least you should be able to compare running noise of the two.

Cheers.

Russell.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is the real spirit of OZ! I just love it!
    Congratulations Russel & to you guys brushing off the disasters and getting on with your CNC stuff and planning an amazing demo day with friends in the same mind set.
    I am in Adelaide and have never managed to get to a local meet as their meeting night Tuesdays? seemed to clash too much with another hobby club I'm in. Maybe I should try a bit harder???
    Cairns is a tad too far away for me...! would just love to see this 1st meeting.
    I have a couple of CNC dead mcs... a 4axis Makino EDM with steppers, and a old LazerKomb flat bed cardboard box cut/scribe/driller 2-1/2 axis with a couple of Baldor servos that would both be a great start to retrofit in my semi-retirement years.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can't wait for this BBQ, I'm sure it'll be a lot more informative then the ones that my mates and I normally throw.

I had no idea that there were so many people here so into this sort of thing.

Shouldn't be a problem with the bus at all, it's even Q registered but I don't have a commercial license. So as long as I'm only transferring non paying mates we're gold.

Any chance I can catch up with you before the BBQ Russel? I'm brand new to all of this and wouldn't mind just a few little pointers before my machine arrives so I can get stuck in and use it as much as I can.

Cheers, Dave.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi VWSatOZ, it is only a couple of days drive ! I am glad the shed is still standing, there is a really big tree beside it that was leaning that way during the cyclone but only dropped a few branches onto the shed, if the whole tree blew down there would be nothing left

I hope one day to tackle a VMC or HMC retrofit, it is just a matter of money, time and shed space, in that order, lol.

Hi Dave, no probs if ya want to drop in, mind you I am a really slow machine builder and as such only have one machine working (more or less) and the second I really hope to finish before the BBQ. If I can help out I will.

Cheers.

Russell.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wot's this cuppla days drive to get to Cairns? from Adelaide
    Last time I drove up there it took us 3 days days just to drive from Brisbane and that was in a Chrysler Valiant & they were sposta be HOT then... big slant 6 and built in Adelaide too.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just depends on how much of a hurry you are in

It is a shame there is so much distance from one end of the country to the other, it would be a lot easier to put faces to names, ah well.

I will be sure to post photo's and video to let you know what you missed

Cheers.

Russell.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah takes me 32 hours to drive from here to Sydney (2 drivers) and only 18 to Brisbane (just me driving) I've also driven up from Adelaide, took a detour to see the rock and then drove through the Simpson Desert once before too. You can make it no worries

Yeah cheers, I will try and catch up with you Russell, I mainly have a few questions and I tend to learn much better face to face then trying to relay my thoughts over the net. I'll PM you in a couple of weeks and see if we can work out a time.

Dave.

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast