Need STL FILE - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need STL FILE

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Re: Need STL FILE

This is from documentation (you should have it on your computer).

Experiment on some scraps to familiarize yourself with parameters. Also for different materials you can have different step overs (smaller for metal like brass and a bit larger for wood).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need STL FILE-vdocu-jpg  
    Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need STL FILE

It just occurred to me that there are two files involved in my testing for cutting a file 0.020” deep on another file that cuts a section of wood with a 3.00” radius. This is all testing.

In the Vcarve V bit file that cuts the character I set flat depth to 0.020” deep, final and clearance pass both to 0.012”, then check Project tool path onto 3D model.

I just realized because I’ve never V carved on a curved surface before, I must be missing something when cutting on a 3D surface.

How does the V Carve know what the surface/radius is when I check Project tool path onto 3D model?

Do the two files get linked together someway so the the V-Carve knows what the radius it is Projecting to, how do I do that.

Sorry I have been taking a break, I was so frustrated, I went ahead and made the fixture for holding the sword, on the chance I get the cutting operation figured out.

Thanks for sticking with me, this should be a big step forward if I am right in joining the two files together somehow.
    Hager

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need STL FILE-76de8a20-74ee-4c5a-bb92-3b9b9ef6b9f5-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Re: Need STL FILE

Hi Hager,
    how V-carve "knows", that's are the program's internals.

Find attached an STL and pictures of a simulation on a quite irregular profile.
    Final pass step over: 5%
    Clearance pass step over: 50%

And another: 60 degrees V bit never reaches 0,2" depth

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need STL FILE-mrchips-2-jpg   Need STL FILE-mrchips-2-profile-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ZASto View Post
    Hi Hager,
    how V-carve "knows", that's are the program's internals.

Find attached an STL and pictures of a simulation on a quite irregular profile.
    Final pass step over: 5%
    Clearance pass step over: 50%

And another: 60 degrees V bit never reaches 0,2" depth
    So, the program knows whenever I have a 3D model on the screen and place a drawing or TXT file on top of it, and click PROJECT TO SURFACE the drawing or text will automatically be made to conform to the 3D model. Correct? That’s how it knows, and i don’t have to link the two together in VCP some way, correct?

If this assumption is correct it answers so many questions I had been struggling with.

The photo below are two rectangles 0.040” wide and 1” tall cut on a flat surface. It was drawn over the 3” radius model. The cut on the left was not projected and the one on the right was projected, they look to be the same width in the center and the right one is deeper on the ends, conforming to the radius.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need STL FILE-b682334c-7c5c-48bd-b1a7-ceef71a68ab8-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

What tool was used for those cuts?
    It does not look as any kind of conical bit

To better understand V-carving take a look at this video:

You will see some "cross cut" drawings just to make clearer picture.

Anyway, which tool you would like to use (which one do you have) to carve the name of your Chinese friend on the sword grip. I guess that the profile is as per your first post.
    Remember, it has to be a V bit or Conical ball nose.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Vasto, good information I’ll file it away for when I do any inlays, the fellow that owns the swords is just use black to fill in the cuts on the sword.

Well the first sword came out perfect on the first cut. But the second sword the new one I hadn’t seen before took three cuts and adjustments to the various parts of the character before it was complete and at correct depth.
    The first sword had one constant sweeping radius that I centered on and it cut perfect at one pass.
    Now the second sword profile wasn’t one consistent radius like the first sword but a radius and a down bevel in the area to be cut. And the down bevel wasn’t wide enough to cut the entire character so I had to cut the top character, then edit the top half of the character and cut it deeper so the repair cut matched the depth of the lower half of the character. The bottom character on the radius cut OK.
    Boy if I do this again I need some way to define the profile of the area to be cut so VCP knows how deep to cut the variations in the profile.
    I added a photo of a red neck parallelogram that I used to rotate the sword in the fixture and set the center of the radius where I wanted the character to be cut, it worked perfect on the sword wher the image area was to be centered on the radius. Not so much on the second sword where Yee image area was spread over a radius and a bevel.
    Anyway it’s a done deal.
    Would you verify that my thoughts on the 3D model and projected text was correct or not on my previous post
    Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.
    Hager

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need STL FILE-e5cc8105-8ba3-4279-818a-7f3a3c940700-jpg   Need STL FILE-33fc7eee-147d-477f-af39-6e814aa17d43-jpg   Need STL FILE-291e46da-6f47-4b40-874b-93ceb70989f0-jpg   Need STL FILE-2ae654a8-5c68-4ae1-9e75-348c99b81e6d-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Glad to see that you have finished it.

For any Vcarve/Inlay on irregular surfaces you should have the exact model.
    Vectric software do not have a crystal ball to "see" what is on your mind.
    As any software it does what it is told to do. The more precise input, the outcome will be prettier.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123