Need Help! Please help.Cant figure out how to cut out a tile with shallow release angle on sides

Thread: Please help.Cant figure out how to cut out a tile with shallow release angle on sides

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Please help.Cant figure out how to cut out a tile with shallow release angle on sides

Hi
    I am learning Artcam but have hit a problem I cant figure out.

I am trying to make/cut some patterns for tiles to create a mould. One is square and the other Hexagonal/triangle but the question remains the same for both.

The square pattern is from an imported STL Sketchup model I made 200mm x 200mm x 25mm. It has an organic relief to the top surface and a 2mm taper to all 4 sides over the 25mm thickness to create a release angle as the mould will be non flexible.

If I start the work on a 250 x 250mm sheet of material so that I can screw it down to the table bed, should I cut the whole thing including the tapered sides using the relief cut path or use another method. If I use the relief cut path for the whole thing, how do I hold the tile still in the sheet material as I dont think I can include bridges? This will also create a rough edge to the whole thing as the sides are just off vertical.
    OR
    If I cut with a profile cut path I can make the bridges but I dont have a tool the correct very shallow angle to achieve the release angle?

I imagine there is an easy way to do this but I just cant figure it out.

pdfs of the tiles here
    tile 3.pdftile 3.pdftile 2.pdf

Thankyou in advance!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Please help.Cant figure out how to cut out a tile with shallow release angle on s

I don't know Artcam at all,but I have machined a good number of moulds for GRP and carbon.If you are machining the mould with that number of sharp corners there will be a lot of hand finishing as you aren't going to find a 25mm long needle-pointed cutter with a 2 degree draft angle included.I would also expect that leaving 60mm or so all round the moulded recess would be a good idea for stabilising the shape.A 25mm margin looks just too small,unless you have a very strong mould material I would expect that a strong enough bottom will need a few millimetres more than would be left by machining away so much of the initial block of material.None of which helps very much with your initial question.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Please help.Cant figure out how to cut out a tile with shallow release angle on s

Hi Cman - 2mm over 25mm is 4.57deg draft. You have two ways to go. Use a parallel tool and incrementally cut down the taper. Then hand finish or buy a tapered tool and profile cut. I'd go looking for a tapered tool. 4degs plus for a draft is a substantial draft. 2deg would release easily. Cheers Peter S