Stepper and pid

Thread: Stepper and pid

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Stepper and pid

Hi guys,i have some questions. I have a personal project in wich i must have a stepper motor that can be manually controlled(rotation and speed), and i have to integrate a pid with a heater and a thermocouple or thermistor to show on the same display. It should look something like this:see attachment
    One "button" to controll/set the temperature, and one for controlling the stepper. Wich is the cheapest way to achieve this? Temp max about 300C°
    I know i can use a pid and stepper with drivers, but i want to have both on the same display. Also i know about ramps 1.4 with arduino mega, but not sure i can controll the stepper mannually without a gcode. Any sugestions are welcomes. Ps i am not quite an expert on this. Thank you!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Stepper and pid

Hi,
    a plain stepper is incompatible with a PID control.

PID control requires feedback from the controlled device....and a plain stepper has no feedback. If you attached an encoder then you will be closer....but
    a stepper requires Step/Direction type inputs whereas servos for which PID controllers are ideally suited, are analogue.

An Arduino will make a perfectly fine Step/Direction controller which will turn the stepper backwards and forwards no trouble...but OPEN LOOP.
    If you really want CLOSED LOOP that can be done but is way more complicated.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    a plain stepper is incompatible with a PID control.

PID control requires feedback from the controlled device....and a plain stepper has no feedback. If you attached an encoder then you will be closer....but
    a stepper requires Step/Direction type inputs whereas servos for which PID controllers are ideally suited, are analogue.

An Arduino will make a perfectly fine Step/Direction controller which will turn the stepper backwards and forwards no trouble...but OPEN LOOP.
    If you really want CLOSED LOOP that can be done but is way more complicated.

Craig
    Thanks for the answer, but i think i didnt explain correctly. I dont want the motor to be controlled by the pid. I just want manual control of the motor, but on a display to show the speed of it. And also with the temperature, separate button to set/controll the temperature, and shows the actual/set temp on the same display. I just want somehow to show both on the same display.

Downloads
    Uploads

The easiest (still not easy) is a 3D printer controller running Marlin. Marlin has a build-in PID contoller, can measure temperature (extruder), can run a stepper and is capable of displaying information on a display.

For just controlling the speed and direction of a stepper you could use this:
    https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/33045...bf6b215129a768

The cheapest way is using an arduino Uno board and a step-stick driver board or and arduino Mega and a Ramps 1.6 board and some kind of i2C display. In both cases you have to develop the software you self. For that you can use the arduino examples and combine several examples to a working program. For a novice, tt will take quit a long time to get it done.

Downloads
    Uploads

in my understanding there is nothing related to PID. Right?
    Only you can decide what is the cheapest way. For me the cheapest solution is if I take a hardware from my shelf and start the design instantly.