Newbie Arduino Uno - CNC Shield v3 - Ramps etc

Thread: Arduino Uno - CNC Shield v3 - Ramps etc

Default Arduino Uno - CNC Shield v3 - Ramps etc

Hi guys, I am pretty new on this Arduino - CNC problematic, so I am looking for help. I have been searching for Nema 17 stepper motors with Digital Stepper Drivers on the OMC - stepper online.Than start to watch videos about connecting the stepper motors to the arduino, 95% of the videos on the internet where is Arduino Uno and the CNC Shield used I see that people don't connect the separate Digital Stepper Driver, Instead they use some smaller ones that put on the CNC Shield. Is this because people looking to cut the budget, or this smaller driver is enough for the project. Do I need also the CNC Shield if I want to connect the stepper motors through the Drivers than to the Arduino.

My goal is to build the Foam cutting machine, I need to operate 4 axis. Is it OK to stay on the Arduino or is it better to move on some other controller for this project.

Stepper Motors
    https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/ne...0%2C65%2C79%5D

Digital-stepper-driver
    https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/di...or-dm542t.html

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by borism25; 11-24-2020 at 06:38 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Arduino Uno - CNC Shield v3 - Ramps etc

The problem with RAMPs is that it has very little in the way of EMI protection. Perhaps for a foam cutter that is ok. For other uses, it is better to at least have low pass filters. Better yet, opto isolators.

I think you are talking about step sticks. That format is good up to about 1 Amp current drive though I would not want to hit 1A continuously given the tiny little heat sinks they come with. To go beyond that you will want external drivers. A step stick will drive Nema 17's ok. Maybe some Nema 23s if you don't need much power. If you go with stepsticks, you should get Trinamics (TMC2209, for example). They are quieter and handle higher current better.

Many 4 Axis Grbl boards are actually 3 Axis with another motor ganged with Y. Default Grbl is 3 Axis. Choose carefully. You need to find a code fork to do true 4 axis.

And, in the shameless promotion category, I make and sell a 5 axis grblHAL board. grblHAL is a 32-bit version of Grbl that runs on a number of different ARM microcontrollers (13 so far). My board is based on a Teensy 4.1 (600 MHz!). It has opto isolators for input and supports driving relay coils as well as SSRs. 0-10V spindle control. Screw terminals for more reliable connections. More info here.

Last edited by philba; 11-24-2020 at 07:44 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

My goal is to build the Foam cutting machine, I need to operate 4 axis.
    Are you sure you need 4 axis, isn't 1 axis moved by 2 steppers. If that is the case, you need 3 axis and 1 axis controlling 2 drivers (1 motor ganged).

I see that people don't connect the separate Digital Stepper Driver, Instead they use some smaller ones that put on the CNC Shield. Is this because people looking to cut the budget, or this smaller driver is enough for the project.
    Using step stick drivers and a shield/board makes wiring a lot easier. If you are starting, that could be a key to success.

You can connect an external driver to the step stick socket if the board/shield does not have a header for this, allowing a future upgrade.

Keep in mind that however step stick drivers, shields and boards are a low cost they can perform as well as expensive professional products designed for large super fast machines. It depends a lot of your expectations and the capabilities of your machine.

I run my rotary table (Nema17) using a step stick driver (DRV8825). On the lathes I use external drivers (TB6600) for the Nema23 and Nema24 steppers.

Quote Originally Posted by philba View Post
    And, in the shameless promotion category, I make and sell a 5 axis grblHAL board. grblHAL is a 32-bit version of Grbl that runs on a number of different ARM microcontrollers (13 so far). My board is based on a Teensy 4.1 (600 MHz!). It has opto isolators for input and supports driving relay coils as well as SSRs. 0-10V spindle control. Screw terminals for more reliable connections. More info here.
    Didn't know about this board looks pretty good, I see that the software for controlling is GCS, can it be controlled with other GRBL software?

Quote Originally Posted by hfjbuis View Post
    Are you sure you need 4 axis, isn't 1 axis moved by 2 steppers. If that is the case, you need 3 axis and 1 axis controlling 2 drivers (1 motor ganged).
    Yes it's correct, I will move 2 axis with 2 motor on every axis. 2 steppers on Y and 2 on the Z.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes it's correct, I will move 2 axis with 2 motor on every axis. 2 steppers on Y and 2 on the Z.
    You need 2 axis and each axis connected to 2 drivers.

Than you could do with a:
    • a 2 (or more) axis board and 4 external drivers.
    • a board capable of 2 pairs of ganged drivers. @philba can explain if and how to do that using his board.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm terribly sorry. I don't seem to get notifications on this thread (I get others from CNCZone though). Yes, you can gang 2 sets of motors. It will require a special configuration but I can walk you through that.

Yes, the board can be controlled with UGS and bCNC. It also has a compatibility mode that makes it look like vanilla Grbl to any sender. There is also an active discussion to create a sender interface standard for all Grbl variants to allow any sender to work.