x axis motor randomly stalling GRRR - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: x axis motor randomly stalling GRRR

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: x axis motor randomly stalling GRRR

Settings look fine, but I would suggest $1=255 which will keep the stepper drivers powered all the time.

At this point, I would check basically everything. Wiring for loose connections, PS voltage, binding, etc. Diagnosing can be tough not being there.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Are you using a Ballscrew for the Z Axes what are the gear ratios that you are using with your drive system Pinion teeth and Gear Ratio
    z is a 1/2 10 5 start lead screw that is driven directly.
    x and y axis are 3-1 belt reduction
    16 tooth pulley on the motor to a 48 tooth pulley and that drives another 16 tooth pulley that drives the belt.
    IMG_20181213_175857907.jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    Settings look fine, but I would suggest $1=255 which will keep the stepper drivers powered all the time.

At this point, I would check basically everything. Wiring for loose connections, PS voltage, binding, etc. Diagnosing can be tough not being there.
    can you explain the $1=255 please?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tkms002 View Post
    can you explain the $1=255 please?
    $1 setting is stepper enable time in milliseconds. For example after a command completes, Grbl keeps the stepper driver enabled for the number of milliseconds this is set for and then turns the drivers off (disabled). The max value of this setting is 255, and if you set it for that, then Grbl knows to NEVER disable the stepper drivers.

In my opinion, there is no reason to ever disable the motors during normal operation, and if there is it means I can turn off the power switch. I prefer to let the stepper drivers take care of reducing current draw without totally disabling them by using the idle current feature built in to most modern drives these days.

Downloads
    Uploads

At the moment I am thinking I had 2 issues. An excessive acceleration parm and issues with the Y and Z axis skate bearing set up. They seem very intolerant of dust accumulation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12