Arduino based CNC controller for engraver - how to wire up a motor and laser

Thread: Arduino based CNC controller for engraver - how to wire up a motor and laser

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Arduino based CNC controller for engraver - how to wire up a motor and laser

Guys, hopefully this is in the right forum, it's more how to physically connect these items rather than anything to do specifically with engraving.

I have an R3 Uno Arduino clone plus the protoneer v3 CNC shield, and despite numerous searches I'm none the wiser as to where I sould be connecting the output for the spindle motor, or a laser when I finally get one. The current engraver setup has a Woodpecker board that has no motor speed control, just on off control, but the output speed is too low to use with small diameter tools, and can't be changed. I'm hoping that an 'upgrade' to the arduino based board will allow me to control the spindle speed and latterly the Laser power through the software.

Neither will be high power rated (2.5w Laser) as I am not intending to do any heavy work. So, which pins are the ones I have to connect to, and what collateral hardware will I require in order to get this connected up?

Cheers

Les

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Arduino based CNC controller for engraver - how to wire up a motor and laser

GRBL has a very good wiki. Have a look at https://github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki/Connecting-Grbl to get started. I am not familiar with your protoneer v3 CNC shield. You maybe have to the shields documentation!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hfjbuis View Post
    GRBL has a very good wiki. Have a look at https://github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki/Connecting-Grbl to get started. I am not familiar with your protoneer v3 CNC shield. You maybe have to the shields documentation!
    Thanks, but as with the other sites I have looked on, it tells you the arduino pinout data, but fails to explain where you connect the devices to the CNC shield. All the sites explain well how to install the stepper motor drivers, end stop switches and jog switches, but somehow fail to mention the spindle motor or laser pin arrangements

For instance do I need a separate motor controller board? Do I output direct to the motor? For the laser I assume there will be a control board.

Cheers

Les

Last edited by lesthegringo; 02-24-2019 at 05:04 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Arduino based CNC controller for engraver - how to wire up a motor and laser

Well the GRBL Wiki is made for GRBL, not the hundreds of available shields. Your shield documentation should show how to connect. Post the connection diagram of your shield and I will have a look.