Need Help! Flashing GRBL To Uno board + unsmooth jog

Thread: Flashing GRBL To Uno board + unsmooth jog

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Flashing GRBL To Uno board + unsmooth jog

Disclaimer: First time trying to flash and configure new setup of Uno board, CNC shield...

My old (and first) Uno board (preloaded with GRBL) died on me so I ordered a new Uno board... Or atleast thought it was an original Uno board, but to my surprise it turned up as a (I think) chinese rip-off (Geekcreit Uno R3). Eitherways...

My issue was that I had no serial connection and possibly a few drivers died - my approach was atleast to swap it all out.

I can now connect via UGS and jog in all directions! HOWEVER - there's something weird going on... When I jog the movement doesn't seem smooth like before, it seems very "sluggish"/slow.
    Settings are the same in UGS as before, so feed rate etc. the same.

Could I be missing some steps in configuring the Uno board/CNC stepper shield (v. 3.0), driver or similar? (first time dealing with something like this)

What i've done: (from scratch)
    1. Put together new Geekcreit Uno R3 board + new CNC Shield (jumpers etc. placed as before) + 4 new DRV8825 drivers (configured correct 0.65 voltage)
    2. Flashed GRBL 0.9j to the Uno board (via XLoader)
    3. In the Arduino Ide (software) connected to GRBL in the terminal (serial monitor) and verified being able to send GRBL commands
    4. In UGS > connected > and did test jog in all directions

Im noticing the Uno Board is appearing with red LED lamps and not green as with the original (probably toasted board). Not sure if it means anything bad...

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Flashing GRBL To Uno board + unsmooth jog

Ahhaa ofcourse, I needed to adjust the GRBL settings.

However in UGS, im now getting the following error: (it seems to connect and then it throws the following error in a loop)
    error while processing response <<Alarm,Mpos: 0.000,0.000>> error while processing response

Also in the Arduino terminal I wasn't able to define the following settings since they don't exist in the settings list I see when doing $$:

$30 = 12000
    $31 = 5000
    $32 = 0

Any advice?

Downloads
    Uploads

Try flashing again. Might of got currupted during programming. It should of verified after programming though.

These lower cost clone UNO boards usually have the CH340 serial chip. Not always the most reliable. I hav multiple pc’s here and have noticed that some just don’t play very well with that serial chip. Probably a combination of serial drivers and USB chipsets.

I never have a issue with genuine UNO boards so you may have to try that out if you can’t get it to work reliably.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the input jfong.

Yea, I've had nothing but trouble with this chinese Uno board and the CH340 driver installation on my MAC, but seeing my newly ordered original Uno board is a week away, im still trying to see if I can get it working

I tried resetting GRBL settings to default > and reflashed with GRBL 0.9i. Then changed GRBL settings as needed to my setup.

Through Arduino terminal, I can now connect to GRBL and jog around X Y Z perfectly! So getting close I guess.

However in UGS, im now getting the following error: (I connect and then it throws the following error in a loop that I can't escape)
    error while processing response <<Alarm,Mpos: 0.000,0.000>> error while processing response

Any idea?

Attached Images Attached Images

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Flashing GRBL To Uno board + unsmooth jog

Any reason you are using an old version of grbl. The latest 1.1f is really much better. May even help with your problem.

I don’t use UGS so not familiar with it. I use grbl panel but I don’t think there is a MacOS version.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm a moron and didn't notice there's a GRBL version 1.1f - thanks for heads up on that

> I re-flashed to GRBL 1.1f
    >> Adjusted GRBL settings to my CNC ($30,$31,$32 appeared now aswell in the GRBL settings - which didn't appear with 0.9)
    >>> Opened UGS

Result: I get into UGS and can actually jog around in UGS now.

Still an issue:
    - ALARM is triggered in UGS everytime when I connect. I can however get pass it by unlocking with $N - when i've unlocked I can jog around.
    - After having machined for a while, ALARM is triggered again and all stops (error message below).

Question:
    Is there anything I can do about this ALARM notice popping up all the time?

The g-code is out of the box and generated from Fusion 360 (.nc file)

Error message:
    An error was detected while sending "T1M6":
    (error20) Unsupported or invalig g-code
    command found in block. Streaming has been paused

Attached Images Attached Images

Downloads
    Uploads

I’m not sure if UGS supports tool change but there are other gcode senders that do. You might try the one that shapeoko cnc use.

Or edit out that gcode line before running. I’m sure fusion360 can be set up to not output tool change commands with a compatible grbl post processor.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, so I ordered an original Uno board and it arrived today.

Flashed it with GRBL and did the exact same steps as with the Geekcreit (Uno board chinese copy).

I can now run my g-code from UGS without any issues. With the Geekcreit board, machining would suddently stop after 5-10secs... Had nothing but issues with that board But luckely the original board just kicks ass

I have one issue left!

For some reason, X and Z +/- moves opposite of what is expected. Jumpers on the CNC shield are as theyve always been when it worked correctly.

Any ideas?

Downloads
    Uploads

You need to change $3 configuration. It’s the direction port invert setting.