Russian Arduino Lead Screw Project?? - Page 4

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Russian Arduino Lead Screw Project??

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Russian Arduino Lead Screw Project??

Hi Bruce,
    Yes, referred to that back at post 49. ("Pin 26, or Mega breakout pin '13' on Oleg's setup is connecting to D7 of the display").
    Anyway others inc. Appolaris has ready access to the schematic now, thanks!
    I meant a general search re table mount methods, not on any particular site.
    If manual control still desirable then what's needed is a belt mount system that enables easy de-tensioning to drop the belt rather than fight the stepper on the indexer.
    Will go looking & se what i can find..
    I back at work. What is the nature of your salt mine?

Last edited by qtronpowerson; 01-17-2020 at 06:46 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Qtron,
    I don't know what you are asking as far as table mount. Are you asking about how to mount things motors on the lathe, or work to the rotary table?

If manual control is desired, the best way would be to have a switch that would completely disconnect all 4 of the wires going to the stepper driver. This way the motor won't become a generator and fry some electrical components and will reduce the resistance to a point that it would be close to that of no motor.

I am a chemist (the industrial type, not in an apothecary). I remember you said you were a farmer, what do you grow when the weather cooperates?

Regards,

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by bowcoastie View Post
    I'll pass them along later as I have to get back to my chores.
    Hi Bruce, OK

Quote Originally Posted by qtronpowerson View Post
    So whats the main diff between oilMajors adapter board, & Nickolai67's board?
    I read somewhere that both of them work fine but Nikolai's may be better designed - I don't know details (one have to read through many pages for that knowledge).

Pls tell Oleg to put on Github!
    There were few talks about this but I don't think he is interested in that (at least yet).

Yes, pls tell me why the code causes Led 'L' on the Mega to flash? Pin 13.- connects to D7 of LCD. See my pic, was above at post #39 page 4. I know its used as a test Led, but seems odd to flash it, given its connection to the LCD.
    Would you be able to ask Oleg?, I'd very much appreciate that!
    If you translate question like below (just an example!)...
    I have version 7 uploaded to my arduino and after powering it up led for the pin 13 starts blinking every second. <<ADD MORE DETAILS HERE!!!>. Do you have any ideas why it can happen?
    ... with Google Translate it will result in a perfectly valid question in Russian (tested that) and then you can post to chipmaker. It will not hurt if you also post original English text. I have seen English-speaking people getting help there, so it shall work!
    But provide all relevant information like which pins are connected to what, how you flashed your firmware (was shield detached?), what works and what does not work etc. etc. I have seen many times Oleg asking for details before even trying to answer.
    Can we try that?

I think I read somewhere that when you upgrade from v6 to v7 you MUST disconnect shield, otherwise you will fry smth. Could it have happened to you?

Downloads
    Uploads

hello Appolaris, thankyou for your replies.. oops, I did have the display connected at the time of programming it , so maybe i did do some harm.
    I reprog'd it with the earlier Version 6c and it seemed to work properly,
    then reprog'd again with version 7e2, with the display removed, & it still flashes that "L" Led.
    Re posting on chipmaker:- maybe my "Opera" Browser is causing issues, cos i cant post anything, despite being able to log in via the non translated site.
    Its a pity Oleg isnt interested in posting on Github.
    Thanks anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Qtron,
    I don't know what you are asking as far as table mount. Are you asking about how to mount things motors on the lathe, or work to the rotary table?

If manual control is desired, the best way would be to have a switch that would completely disconnect all 4 of the wires going to the stepper driver. This way the motor won't become a generator and fry some electrical components and will reduce the resistance to a point that it would be close to that of no motor.

I am a chemist (the industrial type, not in an apothecary). I remember you said you were a farmer, what do you grow when the weather cooperates?

Regards,

Bruce
    Hi Bruce ,
    Chemistry very interesting field, 'smart' metals in reed switches a good example!
    Re disconnecting the stepper field coils, Yes but U still lose the feel of the manual only table.

Re stepper mounting to a rotary table - maybe my brevity caused confusion! I am good at that..
    I wasn't actually asking re rotary table mounting..but did make the suggestion at looking up youtube etc for various methods that may be depicted.

please see #56
    "Check youtube re rotary table adaptation methods. I gunna try to retain orig manual control if possible. Definitely use a T5 belt, pulleys. Or direct if u want the stepper sticking out like a .."
    that was in response to your #55
    "
    I was thinking I'd attache the stepper directly to the hand-wheel with a belt."

see also yours, #57
    "
    I tried the "rotary table adaptation methods" and didn't see anything that talked about the motor mount."

no, I am not a farmer, except accidentally in the back yard!
    I work in Two -way radio as a support guy to Eng.

Last edited by qtronpowerson; 01-18-2020 at 05:17 AM.

oops, I did have the display connected at the time of programming it , so maybe i did do some harm.
    I reprog'd it with the earlier Version 6c and it seemed to work properly,
    then reprog'd again with version 7e2, with the display removed, & it still flashes that "L" Led.
    About flashing v7 & v7a_lite, from https://www.chipmaker.ru/topic/118083/?page=22 :

WARNING! New shield MUST NOT be attached to the Arduino Mega with the older firmware!
    First time it's required to flash without shield attached (that is, to Mega board without the shield) - or IO ports get fried.
    After that, you can flash with shield attached.
    New shield must NOT be plugged onto the older firmware! Older shields must NOT be plugged into the newer firmware!
    So I get that when switching between v7 and older versions you must detach the shield, flash different version, and only then reattach shield - and that shield must be OF THE CORRECT version (v6 & v7 shields incompatible!) - or you get Mega damaged.

Will PM you about posting to the forum.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by appolaris View Post
    About flashing v7 & v7a_lite, from https://www.chipmaker.ru/topic/118083/?page=22 :

So I get that when switching between v7 and older versions you must detach the shield, flash different version, and only then reattach shield - and that shield must be OF THE CORRECT version (v6 & v7 shields incompatible!) - or you get Mega damaged.

Will PM you about posting to the forum.
    hello Appolaris,
    I assume you mean the LCD shield..
    as i said b4, i think i may have done some harm judging from what you have written!

Is there any chance you could re-transate this bad translation, post #548 of Oleg A, page 22, as above:

"The possible range of flows we consider these formulas:
    the minimum possible supply = linienstra / (?????_??????_Z * ????????_Z * 255 / ???_?????_Z)
    in my example:
    1800 / (200 * 4 * 255 / 1.5) = 1800 / 136000 = 0.013,
    rounded up to weave, the minimum possible supply in my version of = 0.02 mm/Rev
    just in case check the maximum possible flow = linienstra / (Segovia * microchip / seguinte)
    in my example:
    1800 / (200 * 4 / 1.0) = 1800 / 800 = 2.25 mm/Rev
    do not pluck and ask a real demand for the range of flows for a specific machine 0.02/0.03 - 0.20/0.25

For owners of the AM882 drivers, make a correction in 70-th and 75-th row:
    #define Motor_Z_Enable() do {PORTL |= (1<<4); _delay_ms(80);} while(0)
    #define Motor_X_Enable() do {PORTL |= (1<<3); _delay_ms(80);} while(0)

Not logged in and waiting their turn
    * asynchronous flow (there is no single formula of acceleration for different pitch lead screw, too big a range, I think)
    * cycle to supply predetermined depth and number of passes
    * loop on the cone, set the depth and number of passes (works, but a lot of runs "on air" again in trigonometry go)
    * manual encoder (in the work, thinks, walks, but without scale)
    Modified September 25, 2017 by user Oleg A."

AND, On page 23 by Oleg:
    Updated to version Digital_Feed_7e2,
    as before the scheme and calculator in the archive with the firmware.

1. Improved noise reduction potentiometer feed (dead zone on the boundary values)
    2. Improved switch of the axes of RGI
    3. Once modified RGI (really was a mistake and was "running poperechka" with some "bad" hardware )
    4. Improved accuracy of synchronized flow (at the low feed - much)

Table of the cones and the thread can skopipastit from the previous version.
    Modified October 20, 2018 by user Oleg A.I don't know what he means by "axis of RGI"

Is it possible to get the 7e2 Arduino file with English comments next to the actual code?
    Where would i find it? or would i have to translate it, line by line & get funny results, as above?

Thankyou Very much!

Downloads
    Uploads

Good day Qrton,
    I hope you enjoyed your rain. The RGI is the hand wheel. The axis he is talking about is whether the X or Z is selected. I figured that out while I was commenting the code.

I'll leave the proper translation of the posts to Appolaris.

Take Care, Bruce

I assume you mean the LCD shield..
    I think "without the shield" means without any IO pins connected.

Is there any chance you could re-transate this bad translation, post #548 of Oleg A, page 22, as above:
    I think post #548 talks about version 7a_lite - are you interested in Lite version? anyway, here it goes:

The following formulas are used to calculate possible range of feed speed:

minimum possible feed speed = encoder_ lines / (motor_steps_Z * microstep_Z * 255 / screw_pitch_Z)

For example:
    1800 / (200 * 4 * 255 / 1.5) = 1800/136000 = 0.013
    round up to 0.01 mm, so the the minimum possible feed rate in this example is 0.02 mm / rev.

Just in case - let's check the maximum possible feed rate = encoder_ lines / (motor_X steps * microstep_X / screw_pitch_X)
    For example:
    1800 / (200 * 4 / 1.0) = 1800/800 = 2.25 mm / rev

So in this example we would configure useful range of feeds 0.02 / 0.03 - 0.20 / 0.25.

For AM882 driver owners, make corrections in lines 70 and 75:
    #define Motor_Z_Enable() do {PORTL |= (1<<4); _delay_ms(80);} while(0)
    #define Motor_X_Enable() do {PORTL |= (1<<3); _delay_ms(80);} while(0)

[and then he lists some features omitted from the 7a_LITE version - let me know if you need that]

AND, On page 23 by Oleg:
    As Bruce said, RGI stands for "Manual Encoder" (well done Bruce!).

Updated to version Digital_Feed_7e2,

as before, the diagram and the calculator are in the same archive as the firmware.

1. Improved noise filtering (?) of the feed potentiometer (dead spots at boundaries)
    2. Improved the operation of the manual encoder axis selector
    3. Manual encoder logic improved (there was a bug resulting in carriage drift with some specific hardware)
    4. Improved accuracy of the synchronous feed (significantly for small feed rates)

Tables for cones and threads can be copied from the previous version.
    BTW I don't know proper English terms for 2 kind of feeds:
    1) when carriage feed is tied to spindle rotation speed (like 1mm/rev) - "synchronous" feed
    2) when carriage feed speed is in distance per time unit (like 0.5mm/sec) - "asynchronous" feed

Downloads
    Uploads

Good day Qrton,
    I hope you enjoyed your rain. The RGI is the hand wheel. The axis he is talking about is whether the X or Z is selected. I figured that out while I was commenting the code.

I'll leave the proper translation of the posts to Appolaris.

Take Care, Bruce
    Ah mysteries unravelling THANKS Bruce!

Downloads
    Uploads

1) when carriage feed is tied to spindle rotation speed (like 1mm/rev) - "synchronous" feed
    2) when carriage feed speed is in distance per time unit (like 0.5mm/sec) - "asynchronous" feed

Synchronous is thread cutting mode,
    but on a lathe equipped with power feed or auto feed, that mode is simply for moving the carriage or cross-slide, (but not both at once)
    For consistent cutting etc. That mode is also synchronised because its driven off the spindle, but usually at a higher rate of travel needed for thread cutting.
    Probably asynchronous with Oleg's system as the electronics doesn't have to synch with the spindle for stepper operation in 'auto-feed mode'.

Last edited by qtronpowerson; 01-19-2020 at 10:33 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Qtron,
    Synchronous is just like a normal lead screw as it is always in time with the spindle due to the change gears. It could be for thread cutting or regular turning. Asynchronous forces the tool along the work at a given speed without regard for whether the spindle is turning or not. This could come in handy for cutting key-ways or even gears with the dividing head function. You could hold the spindle at a set position and let the lathe carriage and X-axis feed do the work; sort of a miniature shaper.

That may be what comes up in the unused position on the selector knob.

Regards,

Bruce

Downloads
    Uploads

I think "without the shield" means without any IO pins connected.

I think post #548 talks about version 7a_lite - are you interested in Lite version? anyway, here it goes:
    Thankyou for translation, was yellowed text so didnt realise you had translated. Much appreciated.
    Appears I led U astray re asynchronous, Bowcoastie put it right.
    Yes am interested in the lite version, but don't know re the limitations.. thanks again Appolaris!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Qtron,
    Synchronous is just like a normal lead screw as it is always in time with the spindle due to the change gears. It could be for thread cutting or regular turning. Asynchronous forces the tool along the work at a given speed without regard for whether the spindle is turning or not. This could come in handy for cutting key-ways or even gears with the dividing head function. You could hold the spindle at a set position and let the lathe carriage and X-axis feed do the work; sort of a miniature shaper.

That may be what comes up in the unused position on the selector knob.

Regards,

Bruce
    Hi Bruce, I knew I should have left it to U to clarify!
    Thanks for helping out. Clearly, I had misinterpreted Asynchronous turning.
    That groove cutting with Chuck stationary has come in handy previously. A great ELS feature.
    Have U looked at the 7 lite version?

Yes am interested in the lite version, but don't know re the limitations..
    TBH I did not understand some parts of that text by myself. But lite version is definitely missing asynchronous feed.
    As far as I understand it's much better to just use full version (better supported, less bugs, more info).

Downloads
    Uploads

TBH I did not understand some parts of that text by myself. But lite version is definitely missing asynchronous feed.
    As far as I understand it's much better to just use full version (better supported, less bugs, more info).
    OK, glad u clarified, much appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Qtron,
    I haven't loaded any vs since vs 6. I am getting caught up so will be loading vs 72e or later in the next month or so. If you are only doing the lead-screw and not the cross-slide, then the lite versions seem to make sense. I would just do the full version as Appolaris says, it will be better supported.

Regards,

Bruce

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Qtron,
    I haven't loaded any vs since vs 6. I am getting caught up so will be loading vs 72e or later in the next month or so. If you are only doing the lead-screw and not the cross-slide, then the lite versions seem to make sense. I would just do the full version as Appolaris says, it will be better supported.

Regards,
    Bruce
    Yes agree. Thanks re no cross-slide, lite, didnt know,
    Cheers,
    Addendum. MOQ of 5 very nice Nikolai67 adapter boards just arrived, JLCPCB, China Cheap!
    boards look excellent, as always.
    I can mail U one if U like, Bruce, I don't need 5! (yet!!)

Last edited by qtronpowerson; 01-21-2020 at 08:50 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi again Appolaris,
    Is there a published schematic or circuit diagram for the Nicholai67 adapter board, - i am a little uncertain about some of the connections .
    Interesting too is that the text on the PCB is in English!
    Boards are sooo cheap from China, MOQ of 5 for $2 USD plus delivery!!
    Cheers, Qtronpowerson.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast