PDA

View Full Version : Best mold product for PVC?

C-sCnc
02-22-2010, 11:23 AM
I have a 4'x8' PVI vacuum former and am trying to get a consistent finished piece of pvc at that size. I have done some research myself but before I go buying a product to use for a mold I figured I'd ask on here to see what results people have gotten. The mold must be durable because it will be used constantly within the production line and has some fairly sharp angles. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

rwolf
02-22-2010, 03:39 PM
have u thought of using tooling board?

C-sCnc
02-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Right now I am looking into the Renshape 460 and 472, however they only come in certain sizes and would have to be bonded together to get my required 4x8. Just wondering if there's something out there that would be better, we have already tried the Repro molds and they seem to flake away at the sharp corners. The Renshape isn't cheap and I'm just looking for some other input for other possibilities that have similar hardness and density.

C-sCnc
03-11-2010, 02:30 PM
114 hits and only 1 reply, which was about as basic a question could be? Anyway, for anyone out there that gives a crap, we ended up buying the Renshape 472 boards and bonded together to get an overall of 40" x 90". CNC machined very well, came out very smooth, will be forming .030" PVC within the next few weeks and be back to post outcome. Hopefully it will work better than Repro... $$$$$

universalfab
03-11-2010, 02:43 PM
I don't know anything much at all about vacuum forming but I do make injection molds and blow molds. I don't know if they do this or not, why did'nt you use polished aluminum mold?

C-sCnc
03-24-2010, 10:56 AM
The renshape 472 worked out very well, I think it was a combination of using the board vs. repro and forming with a female mold rather than male. The 4x8 .030 pvc sheet came out very smooth with very minimal imperfections.