PDA

View Full Version : profile glass on a stone cnc.

dustpan
02-15-2010, 11:10 PM
My boss gave me this hunk of glass and told me to profile it. I have no idea how I'm supposed to profile it, I know how to cut stone, and that is it. We are using a Brembana Maxima. The eased edge tools I need to use on the part are about 3" diameter, with a 1/4" radius round over on the top.

I've tried profiling some stuff called pure crystal white before. It is compressed glass dust. I had a very rough time, many o tools bit the dust. This glass that I need to work on now is scaring me a lot, I feel like I'm having deja vu.

I am going to use an old set of tools, just in case they get burned out, but what feed, and rpm should I run the 3" diameter tools at? Is there anything else I should be aware of before doing this? :confused:

Thank you so much for you help!!!!!

dustpan
03-11-2010, 01:55 AM
anybody out there that can help me?

Making chips
03-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Dustpan, are the tools you are using for the glass designed for profiling glass? There are different feeds and speeds associated with glass. I would call CMS on Monday and chat with them about this. I dont know if you have a tech support plan already or not. If not, it will most likely cost you for the support. They know glass (seeing how they have machines specifically for glass, but your machine should do what you want with the correct tooling, speeds, and feeds). I used to do their training for stone machines, and would be happy to help you more, but my glass knowledge is limited somewhat.

Paul

dustpan
03-14-2010, 04:08 PM
Thanks Paul, my boss just put the kibosh on the glass project for safety reasons. I'm pretty sure we are going to do it in the future though. I will give cms a call when we start this back up. Thanks for your help Paul!

stonecoldcnc
06-01-2010, 08:59 AM
A company across the road from us has the same CNC machine as we do but they use it to profile glass and we do only stone. The Maxima is for sure capable to profile glass.

The only difference I've noticed is that they only use electroplated tools for cutting. Apparently glass is a lot softer than granite and our standard segmented or metal wheels are perhaps not the right tools for glass.

http://stonecoldcnc.com