PDA

View Full Version : Welding TIG Stainless Steel w Argon tutorial needed.

Calico
04-17-2005, 07:27 AM
I decide to get TIG with argon gas to weld Stainless steel.
the problem is I know nothing about argon and how to weld correctly.
does anyone knows where to find tutotial on the web ?
any video tutorial ?
technic of how ?

regards
rud

whiteriver
04-18-2005, 12:15 AM
Welding Stainless with tig is very easy. Just use a argon backing and shileding gas. Go to your local Lincoln Electric dealer and get a free booklet on tiging stainless. I think you can get it online also at there website.

The newsgroup alt.binaries.e-book.technical have a bunch of welding books just posted today in pdf format.

2% thoriated tungsten is what i use. You can use lanthium if you don't like the radioactivity of the thorium.
What thickness material are you welding? What series stainless?
Ive tiged up 0.013" 316ss spheres for Nasa many times. 10amps or so with a 0.040" electrode.

Donny

www.whiterivermfg.com

Calico
04-18-2005, 02:50 AM
thank you for the info, i'll go that group .
i'm in Indonesia and I'm new to Argon stuff.

thickness is between 3mm - 8mm .

ruddy

Possum
10-13-2005, 08:28 PM
argon gas will make u burn hotter so u know compared to a mix gas. so welding with the different gases will cause different reactions. also clean clean clean make everything clean.

DCparts
12-09-2005, 11:50 PM
Depending on how much info you want:

http://www.avestawelding.com/pages/Page____22086.aspx

or

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/board_show.pl?id=8&pg=1

holly
09-14-2009, 06:33 AM
I decide to get TIG with argon gas to weld Stainless steel.
the problem is I know nothing about argon and how to weld correctly.
does anyone knows where to find tutotial on the web ?
any video tutorial ?
technic of how ?

regards
rud

Could I suggest that you purchase a machine which has H.F. starting.
It will make starting to weld a lot better and will give the electrode point a longer life.
Better still, purchase an AC/DC out put machine and be able to weld any thing, including alloys.
If this is just for home DIY then I would be looking for a machine which has,

(1) H.F start, (2) AC/DC out put,( if you can afford the extra cost), (3) Pre and Post gas purging.(4) slope up /down of welding current at the star an Finnish of welding.(5) If you do purchase an AC/DC machine then a foot control of the welding current, when welding Alloy is a great help.

There are other things which are included in the machine but most will not be used, eg. pulse arc.

I think that if you go to B.O.C. web site they give a introduction to Tig welding but like learning to drive a car the only way to acquire the skill is to do it. practice on mild steel scrap with gas welding wire Just make sure you know all the safety precautions first. The light from welding damages the eyes ( Arc eye or flash) but it also can give your unprotected skin (hands, neck and any other exposed parts) a very bad sun burn type effect.

Hope that this information is of help.

Gerry