PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! Machining Heat Threated H13

mconflict
02-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Soon I'm gonna machine some Heat Threated H13 TO 48-53HRC...

So i would like to know what kind of SFM, DOC, and WOC you would use with small tools like .125 and smaller. Solid Carbide tool

We got a air turbine that goes up to 50k rpm.

maximum feed is 500inch/min.

And if we don't use the airtubine.. Maximum RPM is 7500.

We don't have mist coolant.

John@CRDM
02-16-2010, 09:44 AM
What sort of machining? Are you taking a lot of material off or has the part already been roughed before it was hardened and whats the geometry like? Are your cutters coated? Shame you dont have mist....

Cruiser
02-18-2010, 12:36 PM
This stuff is machinable, but, you really want to watch for tool wear. Also, remember that there is a magic speed that if you pass it, the tool becomes the work and the work becomes the tool ! You will need to watch for notching, and use best grade carbide you can get with coating for tool life. You don't want to over load or under load the tool depth or chip load, rubbing is more tool life robbing than you might expect and dull cutter will most likely snap off when it is done. So, program in segments, so the time in cut can be controlled to some extent and you have suitable points where tool comes out and stops for wear inspections. This way you at least have a good point already set for restarting prg with fresh tool. The biggest complaint with my past programmers was that they programmed the tool like it was indestructible and would last forever, making restarting into program risky, at times.

tcarter000
02-18-2010, 01:20 PM
small end mills are a little tricky , a torroidal cut is the best it moves the tool in and out of cut so tool can cool down a little , try runnig your tools at 6000rpm full depth of cut what ever it may be use all the flute lenth . dont just waste cutters. cut at .0015 per rev. ( the toolpath that i use in Mastercam is called peel mill its a little hard to get it to work sometimes but worth the effort)