PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Solid CAM file system

mr chris
02-05-2010, 01:25 PM
I'm new to SolidCAM and am really struggling to understand how it deals with files.

From my solid model, SolidCAM seems to have created some new files, including a design model, and a CAM part, inside an assembly.

Firstly I don't really understand why this is necessary, and secondly, how do I then, for example save a particular assembly as another file name. Where does the file(s) go? It seems to dissapear.

It seems very convoluted and is all very confusing. I guess I'm just not understanding the idea behind doing it like this.

On solid works, if i wanted to save as a new name I simply save the file (assembly or part) with a new name. This seems impossible in SolidCAM.

Also, SolidCAM seems to be very UN-parametric. The contours don't seem to update if i change the original part file, and i have to retrace everything. This seems mad! Isn't the point of SolidWorks and CAM that its parametric?

Very confused! Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris.

mattpatt
02-07-2010, 09:10 PM
The design model is referenced to the original part.

If you need to make any changes to a part, then do it to the original part. When you then load up the SC it will see that the referenced model has been altered ans ask if you want to replace the model. You'll then synchronize this new design model and if it hasn't been radically altered then a lot of the selected geometry for profiles etc will remain, but at the new design spec.

I think it's wise not to change the design model in the assembly within SC otherwise you'll lose track of what's going on with the original. Well, I would!

I'm sure others will be able to go a little more in depth than this.

dengo
02-07-2010, 09:24 PM
I agree with Mattpatt. Do any changes to the original SW part that you used to create your SC job. When you open the Cam model again it will recognise the original has been modified and prompt you to continue.

Brakeman Bob
02-08-2010, 09:03 AM
SolidCAM creates an assembly made up of a clone of your part (the DesignPart) and new part inside the assembly called the CAM part because you wouldn't want to unwittingly mess up your original part whilst programming the CAM, would you. This Assembly is very useful you can add fixturing, masking surfaces and the like and it all keeps together (though the clones of your fixtures don't update like the DesignPart).

When you make changes to you original part make sure that SolidCAM is closed and then when you reopen SolidCAM the message will pop up that "the Source Model has changed and you ou like to update?". This message will come up after every time you save the original part regardless if the part has changed or not.

If you make changes to the DesignPart in the CAM assembly you will break the link to the original and it is the devils own game to restore.

Tha CAM assembly is held in a folder named the same as your CAM part and will be in the location you have specified in CAM settings. If you haven't set a location so a search for partname.PRT and the folder will be in that vicinity.

As for SolidAM being unassociative,well that depends on how good you are at structuring your feature tree in SolidWorks as the CAM geometries are driven off the feature database in the DesignPart so if you roll back the feature tree and add a lot of features and force a rebuild, the associated geometries will be disrupted. I find it better to make sketches of geometries in the CAM part that reference the DesignPart as this seems more robust when messing with the original (or Seed) Part. But of course, if you start adding features in the Design part rather than the Seed part you're buggered.

Be aware that adding configurations to your Seed Part after you've started a CAM part can be very problematic. Best practice would be to make all your configs in the Seed part before commencing the CAM and then using the "Split" function in the SolidCAM job tree separate up the different geometries.

mr chris
02-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Hi, thanks to all on this. I now "get it"!

I didn't realise that you have to close the SC assembly and re-open before it updates the CAM / Design models in the assembly. Why you have to do that, have no idea? It would seem a simple job for SC to be notified by SW when the part it updated when its still open, but hey ho.

As for this configurations business, I'll have a go and see how it flows, and let you know!

Chris.

SolidCAM creates an assembly made up of a clone of your part (the DesignPart) and new part inside the assembly called the CAM part because you wouldn't want to unwittingly mess up your original part whilst programming the CAM, would you. This Assembly is very useful you can add fixturing, masking surfaces and the like and it all keeps together (though the clones of your fixtures don't update like the DesignPart).

When you make changes to you original part make sure that SolidCAM is closed and then when you reopen SolidCAM the message will pop up that "the Source Model has changed and you ou like to update?". This message will come up after every time you save the original part regardless if the part has changed or not.

If you make changes to the DesignPart in the CAM assembly you will break the link to the original and it is the devils own game to restore.

Tha CAM assembly is held in a folder named the same as your CAM part and will be in the location you have specified in CAM settings. If you haven't set a location so a search for partname.PRT and the folder will be in that vicinity.

As for SolidAM being unassociative,well that depends on how good you are at structuring your feature tree in SolidWorks as the CAM geometries are driven off the feature database in the DesignPart so if you roll back the feature tree and add a lot of features and force a rebuild, the associated geometries will be disrupted. I find it better to make sketches of geometries in the CAM part that reference the DesignPart as this seems more robust when messing with the original (or Seed) Part. But of course, if you start adding features in the Design part rather than the Seed part you're buggered.

Be aware that adding configurations to your Seed Part after you've started a CAM part can be very problematic. Best practice would be to make all your configs in the Seed part before commencing the CAM and then using the "Split" function in the SolidCAM job tree separate up the different geometries.