PDA

View Full Version : Surfcam Velocity 4 remote desktop issue

cnc-newb
02-05-2010, 02:49 AM
anybody use surfcam velocity 4 via a remote desktop connection? the program works perfectly when i am sitting in front of it, but when i try to conncect in via a rdp connection that works fine - can use soidworks and every other program on the machine this way - i get an error talking about direct x compatability.

using the rdp connection would sure make certain abilities nice and be able to code when away from the main machine - any help would be greatly appreciated.

fwiw, win32 xp all up to date - all software = upto date - solidworks works fine via rdp, in fact all other programs work fine via rpd, just not surfcam.

please help as this will save quite a bit of $$$ when out of the office but can still get the programming done - trade shows, home sick, etc.

alexmiller
02-05-2010, 06:45 AM
I don't think DirectX works over a RDP. OpenGL does, that's why SW gives you no problem. Try disabling the hardware DX... instructions are here:

http://www.surfware.com/support_surfcam_faqs.aspx

HTH

Darinbee
02-06-2010, 07:52 AM
SURFCAM requires minimum 16bit color and hardware acceleration.

Remote Desktop in XP & Vista do not support 16 bit color but Windows 7 does. Both the Client and Server must be running Windows 7.

A much cheaper and easier solution is to use UltraVNC, it works great for me.

Darin Weatherbee
CAMcad Technologies, Inc.
www.camcadtech.com

cnc-newb
02-06-2010, 01:26 PM
thanks for the info. will try ultravnc. have used it in the past but was hoping to stay w/ rdp, but i guess not in this case.