PDA

View Full Version : machining a manifold

MBG
04-07-2005, 08:04 PM
I would of posted this in the automotive forum but it looks like nobody responds in there and I need a quick response. I just want to clean up this intake manifold. I am not to sure on how to mount it to support the work piece. I just need to run a fly cutter over it to just get it straight.

please help

-garrett

Cyclone
04-07-2005, 09:05 PM
There is no easy way to do this other than making a hold down base that attaches to the carb side. This base would be your center pivot point . You need three points to level the surface, your other two points could be some 3/8 bolts pushed thru the bolt holes on the opposite side (I am assuming is a V8 intake) that you would pinch down to your table with some hold downs, and use shims to get the desired level.

MBG
04-08-2005, 12:16 PM
no v8 here. It is a 4cylinder one. Which is even more awkard. I think I could figure out a v8 manifold but this one is really complicated

JavaDog
04-08-2005, 12:31 PM
no v8 here. It is a 4cylinder one. Which is even more awkard. I think I could figure out a v8 manifold but this one is really complicated

Can you post some pictures of it? That might help us get an idea...and someone smarter than me might see it and say "Oh, just mount it like such!". :cheers:

Cyclone
04-08-2005, 01:41 PM
I used a surface wet stone grinder not a mill, however this setup might work as well. you could make the spigots out of 5/8 bolts, cut off the heads and turn down on lathe to 3/8. you could leave point B static and adjust spigot screw on point A's to get level or place shims in point B to get forward and back level. use a one or two chain clamps, hold downs, even welding a plate (to be cut off after) to manifold will work to hold down at carb (steel shim) point. crude but effective hope it could help you. is a tough one I know!

PS. if is not too warped some 150 grit emery cloth duct taped to a nice straight steel plate and 15 minutes of elbow grease would work also but thats no fun nor challenging. lol