PDA

View Full Version : controller for a big mill already motorized

chile
01-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Hi everybody,
heres my question:
I'm looking for a controller to "close the loop" on a big mill machine, the mill is fitted with:
align ac 110v servo motors
mitutoyo encoders 5micron precision
mitutoyo display

motors are now hand controlled for direction and speed via lever and pot...
some suggestion?

Andrea

ps. sorry for my poor english

TOTALLYRC
01-16-2010, 06:51 AM
Hi everybody,
heres my question:
I'm looking for a controller to "close the loop" on a big mill machine, the mill is fitted with:
align ac 110v servo motors
mitutoyo encoders 5micron precision
mitutoyo display

motors are now hand controlled for direction and speed via lever and pot...
some suggestion?

Andrea

ps. sorry for my poor english

Since the speed and direction are controlled by a pot, the drive probably take a +-10v input. If this is the case, then the dspmc would be a good canidate. It also allows for high encoder resolution.

www.vitalsystem.com

See my build log here.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66994

Mike

P.S. Sorry for my poor Italian.

chile
01-16-2010, 02:23 PM
P.S. Sorry for my poor Italian.

LOL!
the fact is that I'm not so shure of my english, so.. you know...:)

Thanks a lot Mike! I take a look immedatly!
Regards

Andrea

Al_The_Man
01-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Does the present system have precision ball screws? If using scales, you could run into a problem if any kind of backlash is present unless a double feedback system is used i.e. encoder on the motor as well as the scale.
There is an instructional video on the Galil Motion site that explains the PID loop as pertaining to double feedback systems.
Ciao.
Al.

TOTALLYRC
01-16-2010, 02:38 PM
LOL!
the fact is that I'm not so shure of my english, so.. you know...:)

Thanks a lot Mike! I take a look immedatly!
Regards

Andrea

Hi Andrea, your English is better than some of the English speakers that post here.
I am of Italian decent and I regret not learning Italian yet. In my spare time between building machine I will try. If you go with the DSPMC you will have to run Mach3 for the machine control software. I understand that there are Italian screen sets for it on the Mach3 website.

Mike

chile
01-16-2010, 06:38 PM
@Al, the thing doesn't have ballscrew, it have adjustable nuts. I don't know how much backlash it have... (actually the machine is not mine, I'm trying to help a dear friend with this task so I can use his big mill for build parts for my persona cnc machine). Maybe I can measure the backlash... I was convinced that backlash was correctable via software, damn... I'll take a look at galil hompage. Thanks Al!

@Mike, I've seen the MOTENC-Lite (PCI card) too, it seems to be ok:enough I/O ports.. of course it needs a dedicate pc... but this should never be a problem. It works with emc2 also, this can be a plus!

Regards

Andrea

TOTALLYRC
01-17-2010, 05:04 AM
Hi Chile,
If it is already being controlled by a galil controller, Mach3 has a Galil plugin available allowing you to just connect it up dpending on which Galil board it is using.
Here is the list of what work sna d why.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,11151.0.html

Mike