PDA

View Full Version : Let's see If I can build this Router

Catapultsup
04-04-2005, 12:30 AM
First of all a little about myself, I'm a Machinist Mate in the U.S. Navy and have been so for the last 17.5 yrs ( Title doesn't mean I'm an actual machinist but I get to turn a lot of wrenches :D and I work in some of the hottest enviroments on the ship (flame2) ).

I learned about this site from another DIY site. ( Lumenlab) another member of both sites directed me to this site.

After lurking around CNC zone for a couple of months, learning what I can. I decided that my first router will follow Jrgo's plans.

Over the last couple of days I've broken down , opened my very thin wallet and started getting the parts and some tools needed to build it.

Here is a list of what I have so far.

1/4 20 rod ( enough for all three axis)
1" black gas pipe 48" x 2
1/2" black gas pipe 30" x2
1/2" black gas pipe 18" x2
1/2" thick piece of polyethyline cutting board 18"x 14".
8ft 1/8" thick 1 1/4" aluminum channel
100 skate bearings ( I know its way more than I needed but good price 5.00 on ebay)
A tap and die set
Drill bits
Dial venere caliper ( to measure the .433, and the .465 needed on the aluminum angle bars)
spring loaded center punch.
A drill because my last one kicked the bucket on me a week ago.
Will be picking up the MDF tomorrow.

And I'll keep you posted on my progress. it will be a while before I'm finished as I have other obligations. :frown:

buscht
04-04-2005, 08:53 AM
Good luck and keep us posted.

stevec
04-04-2005, 10:23 PM
Looking forward to seeing your progress. I made one and was in dout when I started too, but all worked out well.

Catapultsup
04-11-2005, 04:58 PM
Today friend of mine was cleaning out his garage and low and behold I now have all the bolts nuts and screws needed as per the JRGO plans All separated by size and pitch.

Catapultsup
04-12-2005, 08:51 PM
Today after work I went to the Norfolk Naval base's Wood Hobby Shop and used thier high powered and accurate table saw to cut all the pieces of MDF needed for this project; thus saving my sawblade.:D I can only wish my own table saw could cut as good.

Question? Which is better glue for this project Gorilla or Tightbond?:confused:

2muchstuff
04-12-2005, 09:27 PM
Use the Gorilla brand glue. Follow the directions because it is a polyurathane type of glue. Use some latex or vinyl gloves on your hands, it is murder trying to get it off.

mvaughn
04-12-2005, 11:34 PM
It sounds like you are off to a good start. Keep us updated with pics if you have a camera.

xairflyer
04-13-2005, 06:32 AM
Yes pictures are required if you want our help ! Just joking ! :) but be all love to see what your doing and talk behind your back about the untidy workshop in the background !!! :D

ger21
04-13-2005, 08:13 AM
Question? Which is better glue for this project Gorilla or Tightbond?:confused:

Either one will be stronger than the mdf.

joecnc2006
04-13-2005, 10:10 AM
you may want to hold off on the glue until you dryfit everything and make sure it all lines up properly.

2muchstuff
04-13-2005, 12:12 PM
I forgot to mention that it would be a good idea to use dowel pins on your glue joints. They will make the glue joint considerably stronger and will make dry fitting everything together a lot easier.

Catapultsup
04-13-2005, 05:04 PM
I was looking at using the glue this week end for the Base support structure, Bed support structure then the front and back support ( gluing two pieces of mdf together to give a 1.5" thickness). A friend of mine is letting me borrow his brad nailer and compressor to nail and glue all thoses small pieces the drawing requires. For those support structures in refference to drawing CNC DT106,107 of The Jrgo plans.

Catapultsup
04-16-2005, 01:47 PM
Well I completed the bed support structure in accordance with jrgo's drawing # cnc dtl106.

Yes pictures are required if you want our help ! Just joking ! but be all love to see what your doing and talk behind your back about the untidy workshop in the background !!!

So here they are:)

xairflyer
04-16-2005, 05:43 PM
Hey that's not fair we can't see any mess !!

Keep the work and pictures coming.

Catapultsup
04-16-2005, 06:54 PM
If you noticed I placed wax paper under my project, I learned a long time ago wood glue doesnt bond with wax paper very well and keeps your work from sticking to the table or to clamp blocks if your messy with glue like I am

ger21
04-16-2005, 08:35 PM
I didn't notice it before, but is that you're bed in the picture? :)

Catapultsup
04-16-2005, 09:30 PM
Ger21 yes that is my bed, good eye:cool:

randyf1965
04-17-2005, 12:03 AM
And a Lumenlabs projector....

I am building a cnc router so I can rebuild my projector and make it look more presentable!

Catapultsup
04-17-2005, 08:10 AM
And a Lumenlabs projector....

I am building a cnc router so I can rebuild my projector and make it look more presentable!

Well thats one of the reasons why I'm building mine but the my most important reason to build is to learn how to make stuff using cnc

randyf1965
04-17-2005, 01:07 PM
I agree, I am sure many things will come out of building a cnc router. Hopefully most of them will be GOOD!

Catapultsup
04-19-2005, 11:00 PM
Well I got a little further over the last two days, last night I finished the base support structure cnc dtl 105 and completed the front and back end pieces.

Catapultsup
04-24-2005, 10:19 PM
For everyone's information, My wood shop is not my bedroom I used the bedroom for the glueing part of this project. Reason being, the high humidity and cold spells we had been having.

My shop is a 10 ft x 10 ft brick shed located in my backyard. Next year I plan on making a 20 x 14 ft shop adjacent to it.

Any ways over the past two days I spent time channeling, drilling and tapping all the the mdf parts for the Y and Z axis. Not with out its ups and downs though.

List of the downs
**I Burn't up my cheap GMC Router. (chair)

**While doing my measuring for the bearing guides of the Y axis a baby opossumn came through the open door of my shop and snuzzled at my sandeled feet :eek: startling the living daylights out of me nearly giving me a heart attack. ( never knew their fur was really soft till then). After shooing it out :nono: I spent about two hours looking to see if there was any brothers or sisters around also wondering where the momma was hoping she wasnt going to come in too.

**Drill bit snapped taking a drop of blood with it . It was my only # 7 so I had to go out and buy another one. Picked a couple of them up at a pawn shop close by for 30cents each then I was back to drilling and tapping.

Pictures will follow later on this week ( hopefully).

Halfnutz
04-24-2005, 11:19 PM
I bought a GMC router a couple of months ago and returned it. It was beutifully configured (EMU Copy) and it looked like it would really be a nice little router until I tried cutting something. It would just die and lose all power. I figured I'd give it one more chance, so I tried beveling a piece of MDF and it couldnt even make it through that. I was going to exchange it but they didnt have anymore so I returned it. I geusse thats why it was only $50.00.

andy_ck87028
04-25-2005, 04:54 AM
Look out for Aldi Routers. 1150W; AU$39 and very good. (Aldi is a chainstore from Germany that is getting v. popular in Australia)

MIKE JEFFERS
04-25-2005, 07:46 AM
Andy
au$ 39 thats about 18p isn't it ........ sorry.
the aldi bench drill is a cracking bit of kit and only 20 quid also check out their dremel
copy @ 12 quid it works well on a small router/engraver.
a mate of mine who lived in germany a while reckoned they sold a small lathe at
one time.
mike

Catapultsup
04-29-2005, 09:54 PM
I'm nearing the completion of the gantry and here is a picture of my progress.

Catapultsup
04-29-2005, 09:58 PM
This has been a godsend for the drilling requirements. with out this chart I would have spent to much time figuiring out which bits for which hole.

Catapultsup
04-29-2005, 10:02 PM
Here in the background is the affending router after my rage and a wrench. Also you get to see my temporarily disorganized dirty shop

2muchstuff
04-29-2005, 11:54 PM
As long as you know where everything is, then it's not disorganized.

Catapultsup
05-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Hey good news I was able to complete some more of my router today and here is some pictures to prove it. :)

joecnc2006
05-01-2005, 10:33 PM
Hey good news I was able to complete some more of my router today and here is some pictures to prove it. :)

Nice Work....

Catapultsup
05-07-2005, 08:44 AM
I Borke down and bought the 3 axis Hobby CNC Kit the other day... Now I need to relearn how to solder its been years

cyrkle
05-07-2005, 09:24 AM
ditto

xairflyer
05-07-2005, 05:24 PM
You won't regret it, it is an excellent board especially at the price.

Catapultsup
05-07-2005, 08:05 PM
While waiting for my Electronics to arrive I decided to take some new pictures and here they are.

Catapultsup
05-11-2005, 10:09 PM
Yesterday I recieved my HobbyCNC 3 axis kit in the mail. Tomorrow I'm supposed to recieve the 30 vdc 10amp transformer from Allied and a DM-4 by saturday from Mouser. So it looks like I'm going to complete this project after all. Thank god for the tax return (lol)

Catapultsup
05-21-2005, 09:52 PM
In the Immortal words of Dr Frankenstein:

" It's Aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiivvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeee "[/SIZE]

Tomorrow I intend on accomplishing my first cuts.

txcowdog
06-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Pardon my newbie question but I have been reading the forums for about a month and I still don't know what a "DM-4 from Mouser" is. Please help with my education. Thanks.

Catapultsup
06-04-2005, 11:04 AM
Pardon my newbie question but I have been reading the forums for about a month and I still don't know what a "DM-4 from Mouser" is. Please help with my education. Thanks.

No problem, Mouser is an electronics parts distributor company online.
DM-4 is an electronics component housing/case built by PacTec that Dave from hobbycnc recommends with his CNC packages.

So DM-4 from Mouser means I bought the case from Mouser.com

ignatz
06-05-2005, 04:41 PM
In the Immortal words of Dr Frankenstein:

" It's Aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiivvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeee "[/SIZE]

Tomorrow I intend on accomplishing my first cuts.

CONGRATS! How did the parts turn out?