PDA

View Full Version : best place for bits

dheintz4
12-29-2009, 09:35 PM
Hey guys,

I am trying to tool up and am having a hard time finding a good place to order different types of bits for my cnc. Wondering if anyone had a few good places to order from?

Thanks again,

judleroy
12-29-2009, 10:06 PM
Everyone has there favorite place to get tools. My favorite place is www.discount-tools.com Look under the online specials and you can get cheap high quality tools. A
1/4" carbide endmill 2 flute can be had between 6 and ten dollars depending on length of cut. That is a great deal. Judleroy

ger21
12-29-2009, 10:15 PM
www.eagleamerica.com
www.onsrud.com
www.vortextool.com
www.routerbits.com
www.routerbitworld.com
www.centuriontools.com
http://www.holbren.com/
http://www.bitsbits.net/index.php?main_page=index
http://www.beckwithdecor.com/index_files/Cutters.htm
www.ebay.com

FandZ
12-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Everyone has there favorite place to get tools. My favorite place is www.discount-tools.com Look under the online specials and you can get cheap high quality tools. A
1/4" carbide endmill 2 flute can be had between 6 and ten dollars depending on length of cut. That is a great deal. Judleroy

Wow, that place is cheap!

On the subject of ordering end mills. I've noticed some have a slot on the shank. Is that for a certain spindle or is it for tool balancing? I've seen good deals on some of them but I'm not sure if they would work in my router.

judleroy
12-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Those shanks are for toolholders with setscrews to hold the tools. The setscrews are tightend onto the flats to prevent them from rotating in the holder. They work fine in a collet but try to chuck the flat all the way into the collet.

FandZ
12-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks Judleroy. I was thinking it would be fine but didn't want to take the chance without asking.

eloid
12-29-2009, 11:06 PM
theres lot places online ....that make custom bits if you need something custom?

ie offshore manfuactures can make you any bit for about 20 buck for 3 1/2 wide raised panel 3 wing 1/2 inch shank cutter... quanity 1... I found a few good suppliers , that make bits for lee valley, Rockler etc.... they make every standard bit under the sun... most offshore manufactures supply the majority the big online woodworking store fronts... you just need to shop around for what serves you needs.

ftec
01-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Haven't tried carving yet, just trying to learn more about it first. I have been wondering about these German carving bits. There must be a reason to have flat tip. Opinions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-solid-carbide-Engraving-Tools-PCB-CNC-milling-0-1-1m_W0QQitemZ200257247212QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea04317ec

ftec
01-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Double posting, sorry.

judleroy
01-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Thats just how engraving bits are setup for the most part. They only cut on one side of the tool so think of them as 1 flute. tools. The tips are very fragile so very slow plunge
.5"-5"ipm. Make small passes of .005-.01inchs depth. I have used this design tool to engrave stainless so they can get the job done in harder materials. Judleroy

ftec
01-09-2010, 02:19 AM
OK and what about the measure b in pic (the sharp tip cut to flat)?

judleroy
01-09-2010, 07:42 PM
Thats the cutting face width of the tool. The tools faces almost always have .005+ wide flat tip. That will show you the thinest line the tool will make. The reason for no sharp points is to keep the tool tip from chipping off while cutting. Without it they would be to weak.

ftec
01-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Thats the cutting face width of the tool. The tools faces almost always have .005+ wide flat tip. That will show you the thinest line the tool will make. The reason for no sharp points is to keep the tool tip from chipping off while cutting. Without it they would be to weak.

OK, thanks. The non-sharp tip makes sense, otherwise the tool offset for the next pass would have to be really small making things slow? Haven't seen other brands which allow you to define the measure b, they all seem sharp as a needle - at least in pictures.