PDA

View Full Version : Christmas presents on a shop sabre

KLarson
12-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Anyone make anything cool for Christmas presents on their Shop Sabre?

I am hoping that next year I have a little more time to make some presents on the router. I have a relative who has an apple orchard and I took one of the stumps from a tree about 8 years ago and re-sawed it. The wood has been drying in my shop for all this time and this year I carved a plaque for them out of a little apple wood. It was fun to present them with the gift last night. Apple wood is very attractive with both heartwood and sapwood in a board.

Merry Christmas and happy new year.

SkipW
12-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Hi Keith

I'll bet that apple wood plaque looked nice. Did you happen to take a picture? I usually forget to do that too. lol

Here's a couple of things I made. I put a compass rose on a toilet seat for a friend, made a kids step stool (shown before paint), and a cherry sign.

Skip

KLarson
12-31-2009, 09:23 PM
Hi Skip,

Yes I did not take a photo. I will have to get back out there to snap a picture.

So what do you use your machine for the rest of the time?

My Shop Sabre is busy making cabinets most of the time. I told Jim and Jason I would be posting a video and I will do that as soon as I get a couple more jobs out the door. It will be a January goal to get a video posted of doing cabinet parts.

Thanks for the post. Have a great new year.

Keith

SkipW
01-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Happy New Year!

Keith,

Probably 90% of the work I do on my Shopsabre is cutting small, close tolerance parts out of sheets of material provided by the customer. It is mostly Dymondwood and G-10 Micarta. Here's a couple of pics of leftover material.

I also occasionally make v-carved wooden signs and plaques, and cut large stencils out of high impact styrene.

Yes, post a video sometime of your machine in action.

Skip

CarversCreation
06-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Hey Guys!

I just bought a 4896 5hp Tool changer with 20hp Vac table and I love this machine.. it does everything I need it to and so much more... What softwares are you using to create your stuff and what do you think of it?

As of right now I am just using the Visual Mill 6.0 that I got with it and I must admit its very easy to use but I wonder if thats a commen program to stick with or if there is upgrades??

Thanks guys!