PDA

View Full Version : Machining Silicon Iron, best tools to use?

Deco-Doctor
12-20-2009, 05:33 AM
I need to machine some parts from silicon iron on a sliding head CNC lathe. Anyone here had to machine this material before and can give me some pointers for the best inserts to use? I can't find much information about cutting this stuff.

I am considering treating it a bit like cast iron and using ceramic inserts for rough and finish turning without coolant.

I need to turn, drill, and bore the parts. For the drills would coated HSS or carbide be best?

Thanks

tobyaxis
12-20-2009, 05:40 AM
I have used TiAlN coated inserts with a Turbo Mill from Seco Carboloy.
Carbide drills with the same coating OSG
If you don't want to buy Indexable Tooling look at Hanita and DuraMill.:)

PixMan
12-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Assuming you're on Tornos Deco machines, are you using Applitec inserts or ISO standard screw-downstyles?

If screw down, what geometries? Tell me what toolholders you use and I can recommend some good inserts. No question that carbide for everything would be most productive. Grades and coatings will be key. Using ceramics on a sliding headstock machine can be challenging primarily because you'll have a hard time getting near the recommended surface speed rates for those tools.

Deco-Doctor
12-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Assuming you're on Tornos Deco machines, are you using Applitec inserts or ISO standard screw-downstyles?

If screw down, what geometries?

Hi - Yes the machine is a Tornos Deco 20a. This is a job I have to try and optimise for a customer. He is currently standard ISO tooling, roughing with a Sandvik TCMT 110308 and finishing with a Sandvik TCMT 110302 both in 16 16 square holders.

Bar diameter is 18mm turned down to 11, 15 & 17mm

I don't know the grades of the inserts he is using. I don't think the choice of finisher is very good, may be better with a D shape.