PDA

View Full Version : A-Axis DONE

JFettig
03-31-2005, 07:06 PM
I finished the hardware part of my a-axis, I only had to make the one plate and the standoffs because I just used part of an early lathe kit and my homemade coupler. when I order more couplers Ill get a nice flexible coupler for it.

I still have to set up my controll box for this, I got a gecko drive, and Ill possibly use an old 19v laptop power supply if I still feel poor when I get to it:p

oh, btw, I figured out what was up with my lathe box, the computer is giving me crazy pulses or something, I get weird steps, motors make noise and I loose steps and motors get hot.

Enjoy the 4th axis:) I might have to make a few to put in my online store:)

that motor came from my lathe, Ill be getting a different one to put on there.

Jon

ynneb
03-31-2005, 07:11 PM
Nice Job Jon, Did you cut the coupling joints with a hacksaw? How much movement does the coupling give?

JFettig
03-31-2005, 07:14 PM
I made the couplers with a bandsaw, they arent really all that flexible but give a little bit, I got some ones with helixes in them and they totally rock.

I made a template in autocad to print out and wrap around 1" round,

Jon

whiteriver
03-31-2005, 10:03 PM
Cute!! :banana: Nice Job.
Now what ya gonna cut with it?

Donny

www.whiterivermfg.com

JFettig
03-31-2005, 11:23 PM
A few things I want to cut with it are chess peices, and a screw pump. not really sure what else, I mainly did it because its fun;)

Jon

2muchstuff
04-01-2005, 12:21 AM
I think it's just plain outstanding to see some one of the younger generation who actually uses there brain, talent and hands to create such things and enjoying it too. All kids want to do today is play video games and turn into brainless wonders, god help them. I speak from experience, I have a 16 and a 13 year old who can't tell the difference between a screw and a bolt or a #1 or #2 phillips screwdriver. I have tried to teach them things but they don't care, all they want to do is play games and yak on the phone for hours, sometimes both at the same time. Congradulations on a job well done and keep up the good work. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

ynneb
04-01-2005, 01:25 AM
Well Jon I have an interest in chess pieces as well.
I suggest you make the pieces and then make moulds from those pieces.
You can then cast lots of sets and sell them.

It would make a good on the side earner if you come up with some good designs.

miljnor
04-01-2005, 02:07 AM
I am kinda partial to wood chess pieces. I once saw some Cnc chess pieces at an art expo made from black Iron wood and some red looking drift wood and they were *****en! 4th axis will give some cool control. wounder is the mach2 is up to it.

keep us posted on those I would realy like to see whats possible.

and that design is simple yet elegant ;) good work and I am very jealous.. don't have my build up done yet..

As with most of use here, I HAD to go and change too many things to make the "perfect " first mill. Should've kept it KISS but NOOO! couldn't do that. Now its going to be forever completing the monster project!

MIKE JEFFERS
04-01-2005, 06:40 AM
2muchstuff
how right you are my 18 year old son could break a pry bar in a sand pit, then loose one of the bits,then blame someone else. how i dispair.
there's still kids messing around with mechanical stuff seems mostly cars & bikes
so there's some hope
the blonde says its because we're like alchemists or magicians , good in their day but
not much call for then nowadays. hope she's wrong.
mike

TigerPilot
04-01-2005, 08:28 AM
I am kinda partial to wood chess pieces. I once saw some Cnc chess pieces at an art expo made from black Iron wood and some red looking drift wood and they were *****en! 4th axis will give some cool control. wounder is the mach2 is up to it.

Mach2 will controll up to six axis'

Yoram

JFettig
04-01-2005, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the nice comments guys:)

As for mach2 running this, I dont think it will be a problem there, the problem I will have is programming this thing for such a task as making chess peices.

About making molds, I like billet:)

Jon

Swede
04-04-2005, 12:43 PM
Sweet, Jon. What brand of rotary table is that? I'm always fascinated by what might be termed as "miniature" tooling, stuff like 4" R/T's, mini dividing heads, etc.

JFettig
04-04-2005, 01:13 PM
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1927
I used that rotary table, it is identical minus the badge on the phase II rotary table there, just a lower price:)

Jon

Swede
04-04-2005, 05:21 PM
That R/T looks pretty nice. I especially like the fact that you can buy a dividing plate for it.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1799

I bet you can make and install alternate plates too so as to obtain more divisions. I don't use my dividing head very often but when I do, I always enjoy it. It's a lot of fun. :)