PDA

View Full Version : Thickness of RC car and truck body material.

Robot Dude
12-15-2009, 05:12 PM
I was wondering if anyone here knows how thick the plastic is that RC car and truck bodies are made from. It's PET-G It could be 0.020", 0.030" or even 0.040" but I'm not sure. Thanks in advance.

kmckenn
12-18-2009, 08:19 PM
"Dude",

Actually, all the sizes you mentioned are used in RC Car/Truck bodies.

It depends on what you are doing... some of the extreme lightweight 1/12th scale bodies are made of .020.... it's possible a few were even made of .015 but only the "Pro's" used them becaue they tear/tore like SaranWrap, most of the lightweight 1/10th scale bodies (oval competition type) are made of .030. Most of the Truck or recreational bodies are .040. SOME can get heavier.

I'd been in the RC Car/Truck Hobby business for almost 18 years, but its been over 3 years since I got out now, so my memory may not be as good as I think....

Kevin (formerly known as "Y-City Hobby & Speedway Inc." in Zanesville, Ohio)

Robot Dude
12-22-2009, 10:48 AM
"Dude",

Actually, all the sizes you mentioned are used in RC Car/Truck bodies.

It depends on what you are doing... some of the extreme lightweight 1/12th scale bodies are made of .020.... it's possible a few were even made of .015 but only the "Pro's" used them becaue they tear/tore like SaranWrap, most of the lightweight 1/10th scale bodies (oval competition type) are made of .030. Most of the Truck or recreational bodies are .040. SOME can get heavier.

I'd been in the RC Car/Truck Hobby business for almost 18 years, but its been over 3 years since I got out now, so my memory may not be as good as I think....

Kevin (formerly known as "Y-City Hobby & Speedway Inc." in Zanesville, Ohio)

Thanks for the info. I have ordered some 0.03 and 0.04 material to experiment with. I hope to vacuum form some cool bodies for this mech warfare robot.