PDA

View Full Version : Can't cut to one side of a line

cncadmin
03-28-2005, 11:58 PM
I wanted to cut to one side of a line but sheetcam would not offset the compensation, is this a bug or a future improvement?

locost_cam
03-29-2005, 03:21 AM
SheetCam cannot offset a line because it has no way of knowing which side of the line it needs to offset. With a closed shape you can specify 'inside' or 'outside' but you can't do this with a line.

cncadmin
03-29-2005, 08:10 AM
That's what I figured, I guess if you wanted you can write code to allow selecting the direction of the line and than allowing the selection of the side of the line to be cut?

The Wizard
03-29-2005, 09:52 AM
That's what I figured, I guess if you wanted you can write code to allow selecting the direction of the line and than allowing the selection of the side of the line to be cut?

You could offset the line(s) in your CAD/drawing package so that the cutter is in the correct position.

Larry

cncadmin
03-29-2005, 11:22 AM
That a good solution, I didn't even think of that one.

The Wizard
03-29-2005, 01:09 PM
That a good solution, I didn't even think of that one.

When you offset the line(s) put it/them onto a seperate layer either in your CAD/drawing software or by using the 'layers' feature in SheetCam. Then you can apply a 'process' to just the offset layer.

I find it is often easier to adjust things at the drawing stage than at the 'process' stage.

Larry

locost_cam
03-30-2005, 03:09 AM
Hi Paul,

There is another problen with offsetting lines. The offset code in SheetCam needs to have a closed shape to work correctly. This allows a number of shortcuts that speed up processing considerably.

Les