PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! getting everything square and flat?

frostyshoal
12-04-2009, 04:34 AM
I built a Joe's CNC 2006 a few months back and finnaly got around to using it. I used it to cut out all the parts for another because the first one I cut all the parts out by hand on a scroll saw and table saw. All the new parts turned out alot better. I'm putting it all together now. Main thing I dident do on the first one is square flatten everything, mainly the table. Anyways I need help right now with some tips as to get the main table perfectly flat. When I put a level across the table it wobbles because some of the ribs stick up ever so slightly. What did you all do? (picture attached)

posix
12-04-2009, 06:29 AM
assemble the whole machine minus those surfaces that go on top of the table and have the machine flatten itself by facing the ribs at a constant z, then install the faces and that's it! ;)

Gryphin
12-05-2009, 12:48 AM
another thing, are those rails PVC? They look like it, just thought I'd ask. They could totally throw off your entire machine with flex.

ger21
12-05-2009, 06:40 AM
When I put a level across the table it wobbles because some of the ribs stick up ever so slightly. What did you all do? (picture attached)

Ideally, you'd be more careful building the frame so that doesn't happen. ;) Use a flat surface and build it upside down so the top side is flat and even.

But now that you're done, the easiest way might be to use a handheld router. If possible, lay some strips of MDF on either side of the high ribs and rout them flush. If it's too uneven to do that, you can try something like this to flatten the whole thing.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/flattenaworkbenchwitharouter.aspx

Tweakie
12-05-2009, 08:01 AM
I think Posix is spot on. You can guarantee the surface is flat an true if you use the machine to surface it's own table.

Tweakie.

Andre' B
12-05-2009, 08:08 AM
I think Posix is spot on. You can guarantee the surface is flat an true if you use the machine to surface it's own table.

Tweakie.

Only if the guide ways are straight and parallel.

Tweakie
12-05-2009, 08:36 AM
That's true.

Tweakie.