PDA

View Full Version : relief Carving wood

Big-tex
11-30-2009, 10:58 PM
I am experimenting with relief carving wood on my personal home build CNC router not my router at production shop where I work.
I like to see what are you using for that purpose in 1/8 ball nose dia.
Please post pros cons pricing and company contact.

Just my observation so far, tapered tools are more expensive due to cost of manufacturing but less run out, straight 1/8 ball nose 1/8 shank will have more run out but price is about 1/3 of tapered tool. Also Tapered tool will have angle 1 3 5 degrees which will also reflect in finished carving.
As I see learning from other craftsman experience is priceless, so any information is always good to learn from.
Thanks for posting.

dertsap
11-30-2009, 11:18 PM
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92608&highlight=picture+carving
this is the stuff that I've been playing with lately , I use 20 deg v bits , as you've mentioned tapered tools can be expensive but like most things it's dependent upon where you buy them , the v bit that i use are the vbits that i sell , i use the 1/4 dia which are excellent quality and the lowest price on the market . I won't use ballnose because there is far to much detail that gets lost unless a guy is doing reliefs that are a couple feet in size . in that case it would take forever to finish using a fine tipped tool

Big-tex
11-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Size of carving intended for production for sale will be in area of 12"x18"
v-bit would take forever. Quality would be nice and but time to machine will kill profit. That is why I am looking for 1/8 ball nose which I think will produce enough detail.

trent2530
05-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Dremel maybe?

trent2530
05-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Dremel maybe?