PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Reinstallation

Stupidav
11-30-2009, 07:12 PM
After many headaches I am going to reinstall the software. I plan on backing up the PostLib, is there anything else I should back up? We use the Fagor's "WinDnc" rather than SDNC, although at some point I want to change over to attempt to simplify the overall process.

We sucessfully installed everything on a temporary computer and found that there are some things on with the SPost that didn't transfer over like the file output header and footer, along with a few other settings. So I am hoping that there is just another file or two that I am just missing. On the new machine we copied the 2 files from the SPost folder for our machine, is there any others some where else?

I am not terably concerned all the settings since everything is new to us anyways, just as long as it all ends up working.

tnik
12-03-2009, 02:25 PM
.ini files and .cfg files maybe. Not sure why your reinstalling (corrupted install maybe?) but reinstalling over and saving your settings should do the trick for you.. to be safe, just make a copy of the surfcam folder.

Stupidav
12-03-2009, 03:00 PM
The reason is many of the settings and options that were part of the original 2004 installation are still stuck and I am finding that I am editing the .ini files and others just to allows us do do what we need. After installing it on a second computer to get us by, we didn't realize how many features we were without.

As an example, we couldn't open Solidworks files. We went to edit one of the ini files and found that it was the 2004 version, not any of the other versions all the way up to the current version Velocity 4. After changing out the ini file to the current one, that problem and a few others were taken care of.

tnik
12-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Gotcha, then do this.. your current Surfcam folder, make a backup copy of it. I'm guessing it is c:\surfcam ..

Then install V4 in c:\surfcam , when it asks you to keep current settings say yes, and when it asks if you want to keep your tools, say yes.

This should work. if not, its not that big of a deal because you have a backup.