PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Power Supply Types for Cnc Controls?

JPERRY
11-16-2009, 11:07 PM
I am ignorant on the subject of power supply types, I have spent years gathering parts and reading this forum every day and have a huge pile of various power supplies. I have picked one to finally research to see if I am on the right track and wanted any opinions, I would prefer to use or build one from what I have. Is this type good for CNC (SOLA #SLS-24-048T - 120/240 AC in / 24VDC 4.8Amps out) I am sorry the pdf I have exceeds the upload limit. I have piles of tranformers and complete linear and switching supplies and such, but I see alot of diy power supplies using a Torodial tranformer, dont happen to have any of those. If I was going to build one from stratch what is a good direction to take. I know voltage and amps are dependant the motors and controller that are actually used, but my brain is telling me that the SOLA type would work I just need to find the same type just more voltage if needed. One other ignorant question, is there a way to take a power supply transfomer say at 24v and combine with another and get 48v? I am just tring to use what I got versus just buying one online. Thanks for any help.

Al_The_Man
11-16-2009, 11:26 PM
You can series up the secondaries to create higher voltage, there are many past post here in the electronic section that covers building P.S's and modifying transformers.
You don't necessarily require a regulated supply for drives.
Al.