PDA

View Full Version : hole thru .03 thick inconel

exnavkj
11-05-2009, 02:55 PM
I need some help to settle an arguement in the shop i work at. The owner and lead inspector at my shop swear there is a way to drill a .131 diameter and .161 diameter hole thru .03 thick incnel sheet metal with out leaving "any burr". i have been machining now for almost 10 years and i believe you can not cut anything without leaving a burr. anyone have any opinions. i have tried trepanning drills and double reaming the hole.

laka
11-20-2009, 08:11 PM
A hole EDM would leave little to no burr.

ggtechus
11-26-2009, 04:16 AM
exnavkj,
C'drill,drill,bore & ream will leave no burrs as long as you keep them sharp,any other method will always leave a burr,minimize by the sharpness of the tool,of course.Any other way,I am all ears.

ggtechus.

BobWarfield
11-26-2009, 12:41 PM
There will always be some burr, but proper feeds and speeds sure help minimize the burr. To an extent, a big burr is a reflection of too much plunge pushing the material out. CNC'ers could consider slowing down at the last minute. I have seen holes created by plunging a center cutting endmill leave a lot less burr too.

One easy way to nearly eliminate the burr is to clamp your material to another piece of material. You may have noticed when drilling stacked material the burr is left on the bottom piece, not the pieces above it in the stack.

Cheers,

BW

iamstink2k
11-26-2009, 12:51 PM
maybe drill it out small then clean it up by circular interpulating it using a .0625 endmill, maybe even ramping it out

neilw20
11-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Sandwich between two solid pieces of MS at least twice as thick as the job.
Pilot drill dimple to help drill stay on target.
Use solid carbide drill.