PDA

View Full Version : Anybody in Minnesota

Jay Jager
10-29-2009, 11:10 AM
Been reading a lot here and would really like to build one of Joes machines.

I'm a wood worker of sorts as a hobby and never have seen a CNC in action before. I sure can see many things I could use this for.

I Draw in Autocad everyday (last 20years) and can fix just about anything, always done all my own car work etc. I have a wire feed and gas axe to, I can weld a little if thats what you call it, its ugly but it sticks. I will say this project still looks over my head as I know squat about CNC.

I would like to know if there is somebody in the Mpls, Mn area that would not mind giving me a look at there machine and give me a push so I can start building one. Guess I'm looking for a mentor of sorts. I think a hands on experence would go a long way for me.

I live on the north side of town, near Anoka, MN.

If any of your fine fokes would be willing that would be great.

Thanks

Jay

kling8
10-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Hello fellow minnesotan,
I'm about an hour and a half away from you, but in the Fridley area there is a ton of shops, If you don't have much luck here I would just call some of them up and see if they will give a tour, or be willing to help you out, or work part time for to get your feet wet.

Jay Jager
10-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Thanks,

Will see what I get here. It look like I posted this in the wrong area. I wanted to have it in the 4x4 section.

I would move it but I dont know how so I think I will start another thread!

Nevermind, this is the right spot!

Opps!

bgriggs
10-31-2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks,

Will see what I get here. It look like I posted this in the wrong area. I wanted to have it in the 4x4 section.

I would move it but I dont know how so I think I will start another thread!

Nevermind, this is the right spot!

Opps!

There are at least three builders in the Minn. area that I am aware of. They would all be helpful. I live in Upstate NY so I can't really help you.

I built the machine, it works better than I dreamed. My advise is grab a set of plans, Order the kit (or cut it yourself (takes longer)), read the forums, choose your modifications and build fast and hard. Several members have built the machine in less than 3 weeks.

Bill

Jay Jager
11-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Thats maybe what it is going to take. I still would really like to just look at one to.

planetxfred
11-02-2009, 09:43 AM
Hi, I'm about 10 miles from Anoka.
What do you need?
I just got my used PlasmaCam up and running (sor of).

Jay Jager
11-02-2009, 10:01 AM
I would really just like to talk to somebody who has built a machine. Just to get some do's and dont's, etc. Would really like to see how the thing works as a whole. I have seen many of the videos but I think for me a look at a real machine would be helpful.

I'm sure I can build one as I'm a hands one person, I guess I just need a person to talk me into building one.

I would think 10-15minutes is all it would take. Maybe a few pictures.

Jay

planetxfred
11-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Hi Jay.
If you like, you could come over & look at my PlasmaCAM CNC. The fellow I bought it from also used it to mount a router (which I plan on doing as well). They have a pretty smart design, It might be helpful to look at one & see how parts are laid out & fit together. This has a 48 inch square working surface but work up to 1 inch think can be indexed to make longer parts.
Let me know if you want to take a look at it.

stoneyreef
11-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Hello,

I have a joes 4X4 hybrid and I am down by Rochester. I will send you a pm.

stoneyreef
03-16-2010, 08:54 AM
You are invited.
March 26th at 1pm a couple people will be stopping by. If anyone wants to see my 4X8 joes hybrid you are more than welcome to come also. It is nothing special, but it works and the shop is a mess.

If you would like to come, just shoot me a PM for more info.

tamwoodworking
03-16-2010, 04:36 PM
I built a JGRO CNC router machine, and have been using it for about a year. You are welcome to contact me about a tour. You can reach me at tacsmiller@tamwoodworking.com

fin
04-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Jay,

I sent you a PM with my particulars.

Until the economy improves, I suspect that I will have plenty of time to work with you on a project like this.

Cooperation increases the odds of completion considerably.

Cheers,

Fin

wwendorf
04-15-2010, 11:20 PM
Ok, that makes at least 3 of us in Anoka. What say we all get together sometime?

I have a Syil SX3 and i'm in the process of building and designing a 2' x 4' CNC router.

Wade

Jay Jager
04-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Fin

At this time the project is on hold, I hope to get at it this winter.

Thanks

Jay

wwendorf
04-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Still could be fun for us Anokian's to get together for coffee and chat a bit.

Anyone up for it?

Wade