PDA

View Full Version : 4th axis post issues

ihavenofish
10-17-2009, 08:45 PM
so im helping someone get their 4th axis running, and they have madcam. we are using the paralell toolpath setup and it creates what looks like a good tool path. when we post the g code however, we get something strange.

the tool should be tracking in the z and x then rotating the a axis and tracking again. instead it seems to be following the tool path in a 3 axis spac - moving the tool in the y axis and in the Z down to the underside of the work piece. its rotating the a axis after each path though. the post seems.. "confused" as to what mode its supposed to be in.

we tried the mach 3 5 axis processor, fanuc 0M and iso g code. all were the same.

anyone know why it might be doing this? im sure we have just set up something incorrectly.

turmite
10-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Can you post your process for getting the tool path. It sounds to me like you should have chosen the 4 axis module only. If you can give the steps you used and even zip the model and post it if possible, we can get you help.

Mike

ihavenofish
10-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Can you post your process for getting the tool path. It sounds to me like you should have chosen the 4 axis module only. If you can give the steps you used and even zip the model and post it if possible, we can get you help.

Mike

the steps seem to be (im not doing it myself, just relaying)

- set tool properties
- chose 4 axis parallel path generation - rotation angle at 5 degrees.
- generate path
- run simulation to see path

at this point, all looks well.

then we just go to the post panel and pick "mach3 5 axis", and post. theres no special 4th axis processor, just that one and the 3 axis.

we tried fanuc 0i, and iso and got the same (iso dropped the a axis commands though).

im not in front of it right now. have you used the 4th axis function sucessfully? if so, is there a way to make an example file of something simple?

thanks

turmite
10-21-2009, 01:34 AM
I will give it a try and see if it works on my machine tomorrow.....if I can remember. If I haven't got an answer for you by noon central time tomorrow send me a pm.

What kind of object is the model. Round, table leg, twisted barley rope?

Mike

ihavenofish
10-21-2009, 01:44 AM
I will give it a try and see if it works on my machine tomorrow.....if I can remember. If I haven't got an answer for you by noon central time tomorrow send me a pm.

What kind of object is the model. Round, table leg, twisted barley rope?

Mike

its a sculpture, about 6" long and 2.5" diametre. was a first test opbject for the axis.

ihavenofish
10-22-2009, 10:59 AM
no luck?

turmite
10-22-2009, 12:52 PM
I contacted Joakim and he said he had sent a new post processor. Have you spoken to the guy that you are helping? I may be mistaken and just thought Joakim and I were talking about the same thread here. Let me know.

Mike

ihavenofish
10-22-2009, 02:11 PM
I contacted Joakim and he said he had sent a new post processor. Have you spoken to the guy that you are helping? I may be mistaken and just thought Joakim and I were talking about the same thread here. Let me know.

Mike

i havent spoken to him in a few days. ill contact him tonight and see whats up.

thanks

ihavenofish
10-25-2009, 12:53 AM
it seems the new post is working. merci :)

turmite
10-25-2009, 11:27 PM
de nada!