PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! tooling

hack&wack
10-06-2009, 07:33 PM
the company i work for is stuck in the old school way's of doing things.w/roughers & such.we are not a production shop but when we get a large quanity of pcs.they wonder why we can't run it as fast.i myself haven't been to alot of shop's so i don't have the experience in newer faster tooling.i run a small hurco bmc 30.and it seems to me that the spindles can't handle all that much.or we are not using tooling w/the right geometry to take the pressure off of it.does anybody have any suggestions?thanks:

Superman
10-07-2009, 03:26 AM
How long is a piece of string ?
some info to help us give a little insight would be nice

What industry is your source of jobs ?
What do you mean by large quantity ?
What materials are cut ?
What shapes ? complexity ?
Machines ? Tapers ? Max RPM ? # of axes ? capacity ?
CAD-CAD system ?

Boots
10-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Get an Inco Sales Rep in there and let them do their thing. They will show you what you need to do to bump up production with modern tooling. If he has no success then there will be no charge for his/her services. They will only charge you for the tooling you buy and nothing for figuring out what you need or if they can help at all. I'd give them a try anyway. Maybe your equipment won't handle the modern toolings' feeds and speeds. The Industry changes a great deal from year to year. Most tooling these days is designed for a particular material in mind. So your material you are working on will be the first consideration, then the machine specs. come into play.

yoyoeasygrinder
11-11-2009, 11:53 PM
i have been in a lot of shops and have been a tool crib manager and have made all the cutting tools in the machinist hand book. with out knowing what you are doing i would suggest multiple step tooling with .o15 radius on corners for finish and CBN insert tooling if your machinine is rigid enough to handle it