PDA

View Full Version : When to use slotdrill or endmill.

MrBean
03-13-2005, 09:02 PM
I've been cutting, (profiling) some stuff out of 10mm aluminium using a 4 flute endmill, as thats all I have (endmills). I was wondering If a slotdrill would be better for this type of work. I have no idea why, or when, a slotdrill should be used instead of and endmill, or endmill instead of a slotdrill.

Can anyone enlighten me as what to use and when? Or even why?

Thanks.
Regards Terry.....

Konrad
03-13-2005, 09:34 PM
Using a 4 flute, when you are doing profiling and little stock removal is probably
the right Joyce.
Slotdrills main purpose is, when machining slots, like keyways in shafts, [full depth]
they do a better job when it comes to metal chip clearing, or unloading your
cutting edge.
When doing "heavy cuts" on any other materials, incl. aluminum, it may be
of benefit!
Konrad

DareBee
03-14-2005, 08:52 AM
With a 4 flute mill you have twice as many flutes cutting which means you can run twice the feed rate. The 2 flute is basically for chip removal room in deep slots as mentioned above.

MrBean
03-14-2005, 06:32 PM
Cheers guys. I'm having trouble with chips collecting in the milled channel. I plan on rigging up a compressed air line to follow the cutter. This should help blow out the chips. Also sounds like a 2 flute would help clearing chips. The channel is 3.75mm wide, 10mm deep.

Thanks for the info.

Regards Terry.....

gibbsman
03-21-2005, 12:16 AM
I realise that this is a long time after your post, but a 2 flute endmill is always best when roughing out aluminum, carbide is best with through the spindle coolant, if possible. If through the spindle coolant is not possible, a horizontal machine will help, as gravity will help with chip removal.