PDA

View Full Version : Large CNC Foam Cutter

Clax
03-13-2005, 12:08 AM
I would like to know which is the bearing method and transmission of the movement (lead screw, Belt and pulley, etc.) of the large cutters as those of: Croma (www.croma-foamcutter.com), Original Foam (www.originalfoam.com) etc.

If somebody has ideas, schemes or photos in detail, would be very good because I am interested in constructing a machine of 2 by 1.80 meters.

Thanks

Clax

bayouranch
03-16-2005, 10:55 PM
I would also like to know

onthemarc
03-19-2005, 01:52 AM
In some of the literature I got from Hotwire direct, the bigger CNC foam cutter mentioned they used timing belts.

onthemarc

Mac T. Knife
03-27-2005, 09:33 AM
I just got back from looking at the Megaplotter machines, sold by Demand Foam, and Original foam. They are using a timing belt system,,, the belt looks similar to "zip" ties. They are using steel guide rods embedded in the aluminum frame, and shielded bearings in a "V" configuration.

Clax
03-27-2005, 10:45 AM
Thanks to all, any ideas how to make a automatic wire tension for diferent left and right cuts?

Mac T. Knife
03-27-2005, 02:27 PM
I've been wondering if a weight attched to one end of the wire would work. The weight would have to be inside some sort of tube to keep it from swinging around.

artsons
09-03-2008, 01:28 AM
Thanks to all, any ideas how to make a automatic wire tension for diferent left and right cuts?
I want to do a foam cutter machine and been searching for too many days, cn you share your progress, plans, specific parts, etc.
thanks

blackbeard52
09-03-2008, 06:41 AM
Hope this helps....

http://www.8linx.com/cnc/video.htm

Bob

johnono
01-09-2009, 08:17 PM
what sort of products are you producing?
I'm getting into large compound crown moldings, only problem is my coating.

cnccutter
01-15-2009, 08:52 AM
I use air cylinders to control wire tension on my machine..see pic

damae
01-17-2009, 03:13 AM
Nice!

How well does it work? Did you choose that method because it allow you to accommodate large changes in length? Or was there another overriding reason?

Nice aluminum welding too. Somehow I still haven't figured out how to make aluminum stick together, even though I was using a Syncrowave 250.

cnccutter
01-17-2009, 08:23 AM
The main reason I went with air cylinders was to keep the same tension on the wire with different heat settings and when I'm doing a angle cut. It works great! (plus I got the cylinders out of the garbage at work) I could use longer cylinders for more angle..My buddy at work does the welding, cost me a dozen donuts...

damae
01-21-2009, 03:37 AM
...My buddy at work does the welding, cost me a dozen donuts...

Nice to have talented friends like that! I may think of going the air cylinder route eventually... sounds like a slick solution.

esawyja
02-03-2009, 03:33 AM
I also use the air cylinder setup, check it out at http://www.poly-cor.com
look at the CNC page

Mcyoda
03-16-2009, 08:53 AM
I just got back from looking at the Megaplotter machines, sold by Demand Foam, and Original foam. They are using a timing belt system,,, the belt looks similar to "zip" ties. They are using steel guide rods embedded in the aluminum frame, and shielded bearings in a "V" configuration.

Can you use timing for vertical or Z-axis, will the weight of that axis push it down. Since belt has no holding torque, I was thinking is have to be screw.

Mcyoda
03-16-2009, 09:00 AM
I also use the air cylinder setup, check it out at http://www.poly-cor.com
look at the CNC page

Can you share with me how the setup the air cylinder to control tension. May be a few photos. How is the tension control by the volume and pressure of the air?

Thanks

blackbeard52
03-16-2009, 09:08 AM
Since belt has no holding torque, I was thinking is have to be screw.
Actually the belt is controlled by probably a stepper motor which has holding torque and since there is really no weight involved in the head it shouldn't be a problem. I have seen springs used to control tension on many foam cutters.. The air cylinder idea is intriguing must be a low pressure cylinder to prevent breaking the wire at high temps.

Bob

Mcyoda
03-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Actually the belt is controlled by probably a stepper motor which has holding torque and since there is really no weight involved in the head it shouldn't be a problem. I have seen springs used to control tension on many foam cutters.. The air cylinder idea is intriguing must be a low pressure cylinder to prevent breaking the wire at high temps.

Bob

Bob, you are right on stepper motor when is powered there is torque but I check the Demand Products that the Large CNC is control by servo motor. I was thinking that servo motor has no torque during idle. May be I am wrong on this I haven't own servo motor.

blackbeard52
03-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Yes it does....about the only difference is the control and positioning is more accurate with a servo. And more expensive.... maybe overkill for a foamy.

Bob