PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! VCarve Pro user needs Aspire user help

ntww
09-28-2009, 08:46 AM
I am a VCarve Pro user and love it. A friend has asked if I could carve a specific police badge for a service award. I have tried to convert a jpg image in VCarve, but it doesn't appear this will work out. Are there any Aspire users out there who would be willing to lend a hand and help me get a usable model? Thanks in advance.

ger21
09-28-2009, 08:54 AM
If you can't find any help here, try Vectric's forum.

rowbare
09-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Check out this thread. It might do what you want.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90009

bob

swain
10-02-2009, 04:05 AM
Ntww,

Are you looking to do a 3d badge, or do you just need a clean 2d vector
to vcarve?

Aspire can trace the photo to get a 2d vector, but it is highly dependant on lighting, clarity, color ect as to how much "noise" the conversion will generate.

S

ntww
10-03-2009, 01:10 AM
Swain, 2D clean vector. I have both a color drawing of the image on the badge and a photo of an actual badge. The photo has way too many issues for a conversion. I have tried converting the drawing from the color version and from a grayscale version. When I do this with VCarvePro, I get a lot of noise that will take me something just short of forever to clean up. Don't know if it's just my technique or the limitation of VCP. I have made one pass at converting with the BOBCAD Art program (inherited when I purchased a used CNC but know nothing about). The BOB-ART appears to have two options (3D and Emboss). My feeble attempt at using it suggests the "emboss" option may have promise if I can figure out how to use it. Long answer to your question ... being just barely past "newbie" in CNC, I can't tell if my problem is software or technique. I suspect some conversion software is better than others and am hoping someone out there has a great conversion program and can lend a hand.

ntww
10-03-2009, 01:18 AM
This is the color drawing of the badge in question.

metalworkz
10-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Were you able to get toolpaths from the trace I did the other day? I was just cruising the Zone and saw this post and was hoping you have it all under control now? Let me know and I will try and help if needed.
Regards,

ntww
10-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Wes,
Yes, your file will do what I need. Thanks again.
NTWW

Were you able to get toolpaths from the trace I did the other day? I was just cruising the Zone and saw this post and was hoping you have it all under control now? Let me know and I will try and help if needed.
Regards,

metalworkz
10-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Good, I'm glad it is working for you. Maybe you can post a follow up with pictures when you finish it? It helps show what all is being done with the software!

Regards,
Wes

GaryCorlew
10-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Swain, 2D clean vector. I have both a color drawing of the image on the badge and a photo of an actual badge. The photo has way too many issues for a conversion. I have tried converting the drawing from the color version and from a grayscale version. When I do this with VCarvePro, I get a lot of noise that will take me something just short of forever to clean up. Don't know if it's just my technique or the limitation of VCP. I have made one pass at converting with the BOBCAD Art program (inherited when I purchased a used CNC but know nothing about). The BOB-ART appears to have two options (3D and Emboss). My feeble attempt at using it suggests the "emboss" option may have promise if I can figure out how to use it. Long answer to your question ... being just barely past "newbie" in CNC, I can't tell if my problem is software or technique. I suspect some conversion software is better than others and am hoping someone out there has a great conversion program and can lend a hand.

Since you have bobcad you might want to watch the webinars they also have a channel on youtube, I don't know if you have to be a registered customer or not to view them.

swain
10-07-2009, 10:08 PM
I decided to try this on yer badge...for fun...

Take a look...not crisp and clean...but different